Author Topic: Ad Vitam Aeternam OOC  (Read 5184 times)

Offline MarcoSkoll

• Arch Data-Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Grand Lord Inquisitor
  • Time for some thrilling heroics.
Re: Ad Vitam Aeternam OOC
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2015, 02:14:41 AM »
Well, that took more than a year. And anyone who had read this previously has probably now forgotten all of it.

This instalment constitutes a certain amount of info-dump as part of the scene-setting. I'm already questioning the way I've written it, and I may soon decide to re-structure it into a conversation with Rae, but this will do for the moment.

(There has also been a slight retcon in the first post, as for some reason when I started this story, I had the millennia of the Age of Apostasy wrong).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Offline Kallidor

• Inquisitor Lord
  • Departmento Munitorum
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2015, 01:23:12 AM »
I very much like the idea of the current timeline being ancient history, it makes everything taking place seem that much more interesting to me, gives it more of a Horus Heresy feel. Also reminded me of my favourite Bismarck quote: "What we learn from history is that no-one learns from history."

I didn't think the information detracted from the overall narrative, and whilst I enjoy reading about these ideas of how things can work in the Imperium, I always find my own attempts can be pretty laboured, but you've managed to get it all in with just a few sentences.

Good stuff and here's hoping the next instalment doesn't take another year!!  ;D ;)
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Offline MarcoSkoll

• Arch Data-Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Grand Lord Inquisitor
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 03:11:48 AM »
I very much like the idea of the current timeline being ancient history, it makes everything taking place seem that much more interesting to me, gives it more of a Horus Heresy feel.
Yeah, it's actually strangely compelling to write in a time other than the "present day".

I haven't done it too much before though. Going backward makes it pretty easy to be anachronistic - for the example I normally use, the first Eisenhorn book starts in 240.M41, but mentions Tyranids (Tyran isn't destroyed until 745.M41) and Amalathians (there's no exact date for the conclave on Galthamor, but it spurred Lord Macharius' crusade, so is almost certainly between his 386.M41 inauguration and the crusade's start in 392.M41) - and going forwards doesn't really mean a lot unless you can fill the gaps in.

Jax's unique perspective is a very useful tool for that. It's already been touched on but, as will become more apparent later, her mind just doesn't work like a normal human. Her mutation's approach to not ageing is often rather literal - her memories don't (and can't) fade with time. She can recall conversations with Inquisitor Skoll as well as she can recall the ones she had with Rae yesterday.

This leads to a very unusual perception of the passage of time. Her memories don't ever feel "old" to her, but she can also remember every single day in-between.
So sometimes the way she thinks about time is like a twenty-four year old (for example, a year still feels like a long time to her*) and sometimes a twenty-four hundred year old (because she really can refer to things that happened that happened in the millennia before last).

* Which is possibly why she hasn't become completely detached from mortal humans. While she far outstrips a normal human lifespan, even with rejuvenat, it's still a long time to her. (Fairly unusually for an immortal character, who tend to start using comparisons with mayflies). However, more on that later in the story.

Good stuff and here's hoping the next instalment doesn't take another year!!
Hopefully not. A lot of the later story is actually rather well drafted out, and I'm starting to get more assertive about filling in the gaps.

GW's =I= articles

Offline Kallidor

• Inquisitor Lord
  • Departmento Munitorum
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 11:30:15 PM »
Logically it makes the most sense that, even though she ages differently, a year is still a year so it isn't exactly like those years zip past; plus she does thing at human normal speed, so sitting around doing nothing for a few hours should still be boring!

Also, the concept of memory not aging, and thus making her still think a young person way is very interesting, not something I recall much from any other literature that deals with immortal/long lived characters. They all come across as you have pointed out, so to have someone in a sort of perpetual tweens is pleasantly different.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Offline MarcoSkoll

• Arch Data-Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Grand Lord Inquisitor
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 03:29:29 AM »
Logically it makes the most sense that, even though she ages differently, a year is still a year so it isn't exactly like those years zip past
Psychologically, humans tend to assess the passage of time in relation to how long they've been alive. Something happening ten years ago is measured by a very different yardstick depending on whether you're twenty-six or eighty-six.

In any case, I'm hoping to have a new post up fairly soon, although I'm not sure how big it'll be - it depends how many of the drafted passages I can stitch together.

GW's =I= articles

Offline MarcoSkoll

• Arch Data-Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Grand Lord Inquisitor
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 02:38:25 AM »
Bleurg. I completely forgot that I had this passage in a reasonable state of affairs, so I've been sitting on it for ages.

However, it's at least less than a year this time... hopefully I can improve again for the next installment.

GW's =I= articles