Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Check out what I just won

Started by Kresten, August 23, 2010, 02:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

precinctomega

It's an impressive piece, but I do think it's rather too big in its dimensions.  It should measure about 55mm to the top of the tracks.

Still, it'll be a lovely addition to any INQ battlefield.  As Kaled has proved with his INQ flyers, they can be excellent either as pure terrain, as objectives or as active models in their own right.  The duel between his Valkyrie and my desperado manning a lascannon battery was legendary!

R.

Kresten

Quote from: precinctomega on August 31, 2010, 03:44:45 PM
It's an impressive piece, but I do think it's rather too big in its dimensions.  It should measure about 55mm to the top of the tracks.

I disagree, if it was only 55mm then the main body wouldnt be as tall and as it is now its barely as tall as a mini standing up, Ill do some comparison shots when im a bit further along with it, I think you'd agree if you saw it.

If you look at the 28mm tanks with the minis half out of the turret hatch they really look too small to me, so I think this is more of a realistic size. It is meant to be able to carry around six (ten?) fully armored marines isnt it? So in that respect I see it as being a 'true-scale' tank. :)

Anyway the decision has been made, it's had all the boltguns removed, a psy-cannon added above the turret guns, I'm trying to build a big web cannon for the turret and the rotatable guns at the back will be to drop smoke.

The idea behind this, taken straight from Shannow (cheers buddy), is that it's the only safe way to transport a berserker assassin, code-named Gehenna, who has an inconvenient habit of shirking off any sedatives administered. So the weaponry is designed to control this maniac rather than engage the enemy. It's the property of a WIP Ordo Sicarius, Isstvanian Inquisitor code-named The Lictor.

I really like this idea :)
"A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn"

Kaled

It is too big - by my reckoning it should be about 9" long and about 4.5" tall, but if it's built on top of a toy, then I'm guessing the dimensions of the toy influenced the size of the finished model.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Kresten on August 31, 2010, 06:21:45 PMI disagree, if it was only 55mm then the main body wouldnt be as tall.
No, because while it has to have ground clearance, the main body is off-set upwards.

Also, who said someone could necessarily stand up straight in it? It's not a necessity that people can stand up completely straight inside a vehicle (refer to almost any car ever made), and to do so increases the tank's size (and thus the likelihood of it being spotted or hit), and the weight.

QuoteIt is meant to be able to carry around six (ten?) fully armored marines isnt it?
That's the Rhino (and its variant, the Razorback). The Chimera is an Imperial Guard transport, not used by the Astartes.

You may be familiar with the FV432 (They made the "Real life Rhino" out of one for the DOWII promotional material). Here's a scale picture. Holds ten passengers - clearly hasn't the room for anyone to stand up inside. Admittedly, the Chimera is supposed to carry 12 men (unless the 5th Ed Guard Codex revised that), but it doesn't need to be much larger to do so.

So, it's perfectly fair to argue that a Chimera should really be of more conservative size than this (although that doesn't really detract from the model's appeal). And like I said, there are reasons to build Inquisitor vehicles a wee bit small - it makes them more usable.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Kresten

well that's me told then.

I seem to have misplaced my shrinking ray so I guess I'll have to live with it.

EDIT: just had a look on youtube for the 'real' rhino, and it looks tiny! Theres no way an 8 ft tall space marine in power armor would fit in that tiny driver's hole, which to me just further emphasizes how the GW tanks' dimensions are too small. Im not saying that my Chimera is 'correct' in terms of scaling, In fact after comparing it to a few minis it does look a bit big, but if it was just scaled up from a 40k one I think it would look wrong, either way I think it looks fitting for an APC in the 41st millenium.

Morcus

I've seen the old style rhinos modelled with 10 passengers. The vehicles may be slightly out of scale, but not by the amounts people make out. IFV's aren't designed with comfort in mind.

From the pictures I think the proportions look good.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Kresten on August 31, 2010, 07:34:46 PMEDIT: just had a look on youtube for the 'real' rhino, and it looks tiny!
Well, yes... the FV432 wasn't designed for Space Marines!

I admit, the FV432 is too small to use as a properly sized Rhino. Still, as the British Army don't design their vehicles to carry ten power armoured 7-8ft tall super soldiers, there aren't exactly going to be many surplus vehicles which you could use as a basis.
However, as an example of an APC vaguely similar in role to the Chimera, it does a reasonable job.

GW's =I= articles

Kresten

We're going around in circles!

But anyway, to put it to bed, I agree that it is slightly too big, but not too big as to be unbelievable. Overall it is a mighty bit of kit and I think anyone who has the patience to build something like this has got my vote.

Also, the fv432 is a great achievement and hats off to the guys who built it, thanks for linking it, I hadn't seen that before.

precinctomega

Quotefv432 is a great achievement

No it isn't.  It's a piece of crap.  But it's better than walking and safer than a Land Rover (just).  Thank goodness the Army's getting rid of them - which explains why so many are coming onto the surplus market.

Actually, the 432 is a pretty small APC.  It certainly isn't an IFV (that's Infantry Fighting Vehicle, to you) and is designed for support and maintenance roles (my experience with it was in its Armoured Field Ambulance mode).  A better comparison with the Chimera is the Warrior IFV:

http://www.panzerbaer.de/types/pix/uk_ifv_warrior-007.jpg

As you can see, this has a superstructure about 7ft tall, so perhaps a measurement for a 54mm Chimera could reasonably be as much as 65mm.

I can't find it, but I know that there was a Golden Demon winner (I thought it was in the US) who built a 54mm chimera and accompanying Imperial Guard squad.  He was actually a member of the Conclave, back in its second iteration, IIRC.

Anyway, none of that is to the detriment of Kresten's win.  I wouldn't be anything like as super-critical if he'd actually built the Chimera, because I think it's awesome and will look fabulous when it's finished and on the tabletop.

R.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: precinctomega on September 01, 2010, 10:34:52 AM
Quotefv432 is a great achievement
No it isn't.  It's a piece of crap.
I think he means the converted FV432 - i.e. the "Real Life Rhino".

Either way, we're now getting into a needlessly prolonged discussion. Ultimately, I think that the big point to be said for Inquisitor vehicle size is the practical issues of using an unnecessarily large model on an average table should definitely get a thought in.

I don't know about Kresten's typical gaming, but I'm pretty sure that thing wouldn't comfortably fit in amongst the tables I normally play on.

GW's =I= articles

Kresten

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on September 01, 2010, 11:17:46 AM
I think he means the converted FV432 - i.e. the "Real Life Rhino".
that is what I meant.

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on September 01, 2010, 11:17:46 AM
I don't know about Kresten's typical gaming, but I'm pretty sure that thing wouldn't comfortably fit in amongst the tables I normally play on.

Bah, non-existent unfortunately! It would be a dominating piece I think, but any scenario in which its going to be viable I suppose would have to fit around it to a certain degree.

Anyway, Ive gotten as far as continuing the welding effect, (with a soldering iron) and im going to spend a lot of today attempting to build a web cannon out of removable pen ends, the bit that holds the nib and ink tube.

Charax

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z121/mnesimache/RCV1.jpg

Wouldn't take too much work. I wouldn't bother putting webbers on it (the Castigator has those, but it's Rhino-chassis) and it removes the problem of the ball-lasguns because they're just firing hatches

(obviously ignore the wheels)
(No longer} The guy with his name at the bottom of the page