Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

What to do with a Space Marine?

Started by Alyster Wick, August 21, 2010, 04:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alyster Wick

So after a stint away from INQ I finally found a friend to play with (and subsequently got an ebay account, my wallet is sad :( ).

Anyway, I was able to pick up an Artemis on the cheap and have no idea what to do with him.  A couple thoughts were: a cenobite-esque slaneeshi marine (not noise marine mind you, just slaneeshi), an alpha legion marine, a crazy iron warrior, a disgraced Ultramarine on the outs with his chapter on some kind of quest, a dark angel hunting the fallen, etc.

Basically I have no idea where to go with this guy, but I want to try and break new ground and do something no one has tried yet. My sculpting is so-so, but improving and I'm very willing to desecrate the model while trying something new.  Any ideas out there on things not tried before?

Zakkeg

I've wanted to do a Deathwatch Flesh Tearer for some time now. I think a Space Marine that's only one bad day away from murderous, frothing-at-the-mouth religious psychosis could make a great Inquisitor character. ;D

If you don't want to go with that, then I'll simply suggest that you work out some sort of hook before getting stuck in on the P&M end of things. I find that getting that out of the way first ultimately makes for much more interesting characters than trying to do things the other way 'round.
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper; only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: Alyster Wick on August 21, 2010, 04:05:07 AM
a disgraced Ultramarine on the outs with his chapter on some kind of quest, a dark angel hunting the fallen, etc.

neither of these please  ;D
in the article i'm trying to write for DM i point out that these two and the "on the hunt for X" are well over used hooks and generally don't fit with Inquisitors' plotlines  ::)

a Deathwatch Marine seconded to an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor works, even going as far as saying the Marine served his term in the DW but was permanently assigned to the Inquisitor, allowing you to paint the marine properly  8)
i like the idea of an Alpha Legionnaire, setting up cults but generally avoiding taking part in firefights; have Puppet Master to a single cultist, the Legionnaire hidden away in terrain, commanding the cults through this puppet...
Or an Iron Warrior / Alpha Legionnaire experimenting with the next "big killy weapon", trialling explosives on hives throughout the Imperium, he's perfecting it and destroying innocents at the same time; maximum efficiency!

for my First Founding Project (yes, i'm still chipping away at it!) i've challenged myself to come up with viable plot hooks.
the Ultramarine is a Diplomat (check the tau codex!), the Salamander a lone spiritual guardian of a world (watching over the populace and teaching them smithing), the World Eater tends to be caught up in summoning circles and for the Blood Angel, a crazed Marine missed left after a campaign, burning with rage and hunting the locals for food (People.. they go missing...). basically the campaigns' Big Bad Evil Guy

i think marines should be specifically woven into a campaigns background; such a big intimidating model isn't as "pick up and play" as other characters and need alot of work with the GM to get them "right"...

i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Kresten

I think something that would be really cool and rarely seen is to do an earlier type of power armour. I think Mark 5 heresy armour would be wicked. Have a look herehttp://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Power_Armour for ideas.

In the spirit of individuality, someone just did Mark 8 (very well) and ive done but not painted Mark 6. Chapter wise you could have loads of fun with it too, wayward marine chapter lost and left behind, lesser known possibly corrupted geneseed. Things like that. Adds another dimension to the character and will make him very individual.

Plus ive got a great method for doing the studs if you want :)
"A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn"

Nevermore2010

QuoteIn the spirit of individuality, someone just did Mark 8 (very well)

That would be me lol see my sig for the model. I'm currently planning exactly whats been sugested, a mark 4 or 5 alpha legionare tho lack of funds mean i cant put my plans into action just yet. That being said i always enjoy seeing a good conversion and will watch with much interest.

Kresten - Thank you for the compliment and even if Alyster doesnt do a model with studs i'd be very interested in hearing your method :)
Wash: "Psychic, though? That sounds like something out of science fiction."

Zoe:  "We live in a space ship, dear."

Kresten

the simplest method I found for doing the studded bits is to get a hairbrush, one with the little blobs at the end of the bristles, try and get one that has fairly even sizes if possible! Just cut them off with a stanley knife, hey presto studs of the same size and no messing about with greenstuff or anything.

They also make good mushrooms http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4096/4890712193_1962883d7c.jpg
"A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn"

O_o

try  model train rivets

http://www.tichytraingroup.com/

there  simple to use  just  drill a hole  add glue and  pop in  the  rivet 
they  come in  different sizes
here is an  example  on a dread I  made

Alyster Wick

Thanks for all the advice!

I think I'll opt for an Iron Warrior testing out a new toy.  There are a lot of possibilities with that option that easily fit into the subsector my games take place in.

As far as the armor goes, I'm going for a cross between Heresy and Corvus (as though the marine originally had Heresy armor but over the centuries has scavenged Corvus pieces to repair his suit).  He's going to have a fun combi-bolter and siege hammer (designed to break through armored walls using a special inertia field built into it, basically it will send things flying).

He'll be sadistic, arrogant and calculating so RPing him so as to not dominate games shouldn't be too difficult.  As soon as the model arrives I'll get cracking on it!

Macabre

For all their controversy, the Astartes are just as versatile as Inquisitors. I've seen the standard Marine led Ordo Xenos kill teams, I've seen a Grey Knight commanding a warband comprising a cawdoresque cultist and an exorcist priest. I've seen both an Alpha Legion and Night Lords inspired infiltrator warbands. I've seen exiles and renegades from a variety of chapters/legions. I've even seen one exile as part of a sensei knight warband, guarding the Son of the Emperor as part of the Star Child Prophecy narrative...
++Believe the lie. Trust no one++

Nevermore2010

I agree. It all depends on who you play with. I personally prefer to model Space marines.

I was once challenged to model an entire squad :) and i was sorely tempted to take up the challenge, but i dont have that kind of money to throw about... still wish i had taken it up mind. If someone else had made an opposing squad then you could have had a rarther fun battle.
Wash: "Psychic, though? That sounds like something out of science fiction."

Zoe:  "We live in a space ship, dear."