Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Dapper's WIP Models - Now with INQ28!

Started by DapperAnarchist, August 26, 2010, 02:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrant

Quote from: DapperAnarchist on August 28, 2010, 10:21:47 PM
Right, a completed model - the Magos. Simple, kinda flat I'll admit, but I had freehanded alchemical symbols all over him, didn't want to risk ruining them...

You have managed to capture the random/mechanical movement really well in my opinion*. Mine just has more of a posed threatening look.

*Love the pose.
AKA SquareWave

DapperAnarchist

The Spartan was a ~54mm action figure - came in a box of three, I bought it in Forbidden Planet Dublin. They're good models, think it was PO who brought them to my attention in a post here.

Two more WIP models, both improvements/modifications to existing models

This is my Grey Slayer Scout. His other arm is going to be reaching behind him to grab a grenade, I'm going for a sort of hunter-ish look, as well as the obvious medieval look, with the helmet and the painted chestplate. I'm worried I'll end up painting over it when I come to do it properly, so I may have to just re-do it at some point...

I've heavily re-worked my female Guard NCO, Sergeant Darendi - complete redo of the armour and legs, and an overhaul of the pouches on the belt, including adding a bit of Blanche-esque brutality in the form of the severed head from the Ork Boyz sprue. Should move on to painting her soon.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

DapperAnarchist

Here's a shot of Inquisitor Cass... So far, I've made three models of this guy, and am now on the second version of the right arm of this one model...

He's very much inspired by this Blanche picture from the Inquisitor Sketchbook

Alyster Wick

You put a lot of love into these models and it really shows.  If I may offer up a critique (as someone also getting more adventurous with sculpting), you should try putting the legs in more dramatic poses.  There isn't anything necessarily wrong with having the character standing at ease, but it lacks drama and is an easy way to make a character seem a little more exciting.

DapperAnarchist

Not sure when I'll next be sculpting legs, but I will be trying a different pose - considering a crouching Astartes in a big Bedouin style robe. Darendi is a very static model, but Cass is enlivened by the other arm, a bit...

Shoulderpad
Right hand side

This is my Renegade/Radical Inquisitor, Lady Kalanode. Personally, I'm rather pleased with the freehand - its something I've been trying to improve a lot over the last while.

Heroka Vendile

not bad, could maybe do with a wash or two to give it some weathering/a more natural look, but I'm sure that freehand is better than I could manage - just haven't got the patience and I dislike painting.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

DapperAnarchist

Give freehand a go! Its a lot more fun than basecoating and highlighting, I find, as you get a really quick turnaround on the "cool!" factor.

Some more "huh, you know what, that could be a lot better" work, this time on Archmagos Halik, Master of the Guild Thuban

Back
Further Back
Front

However, this pic is shockingly inaccurate, like sending a twenty year old picture before going on a blind date. The rifle is now a plasma gun, he's got a lot more tentacles with some ends attached, and a Haemonculyte familiar stuck on his back, looking quite freaky. He's going to get a lot of freehand tattooing, I think

Heroka Vendile

I like the idea of the bloated mass of flesh stretched around too many bionics inside - something a bit different to the oft-skeletal appearance of admech characters.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

kierkegaard

That looks disgusting. Really disgusting.

But in a good way.

I look forward to seeing progress on this one (the homunculus in particular - we don't see enough of those.)

DapperAnarchist

Yeah, I realised that 1) it totally suited the malicious, uncaring, slightly lovecraftian personality of this character and 2) I hadn't really seen anyone do that piece of kit before...

That's what it looks like now. Mutated and horrible, just from consuming Halik's poisons. It will be pretty grotesque in painting.

there's a mediocre pic of the gun. Should be better when painted...

Two more pictures
far side
straight on

Alyster Wick

That looks awesome.  I have the pieces to make one myself and as soon as I have enough free time, I think I will. You can always use more screwy looking mechanicus characters :)

RobSkib

I love your use of clockwork parts, they give everything a subtle steam-punky feel. Now I just know you explained this to someone a while back, but I can't for the life of me find it or remember it - where do you get so many cogs and sods? I really like your fleshy mechanicus creation, but I can't help feeling that a light basting of some red and green washes might really make it special.
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

DapperAnarchist

Halik is getting a total repaint - tonight or tomorrow I'll base coat him again, Charadon for the metallics and Iyaden for the fleshy bits.

The clock parts come from a broken mantelpiece clock (much like this) that I found in a skip opposite my old house. Sadly, I'm starting to run low, and may have to look further afield. Going to ask in jewellers what happens to broken cogs. Think I explained that on the previous 'Clave, its ages ago I found them.

Fleshy horrors are really easy to make! a ball of cheap putty (Milliput Grey-Green is good for this), then glue on whatever bionics you want, then a layer of better putty to make the skin and the folds of fat.

Some more WIP, this time of Lord Inquisitor Cass

Rear
Belt and Eagle close up
Very lean-y side shot
Another rear shot

Another use of the cogs - think it really suits this one. The long one is from the clock, but the small, nearly invisible one at the front, and the one tucked under the long one, are from a 1/35 tank kit.

DapperAnarchist

So, two completed models, the product of totally failing to write an essay...

Here's Archmagos Halik. I'm quite pleased with the pasty flesh.

Here's his Haemonculyte familiar, bloated and twisted with poisons.
Close-up
Right-hand side
Rear shot
Left-hand side

And here's Lord Inquisitor Cass, with his Cherub Sophocles.

Right-hand side
Rear shot
Left-hand side
Shoulderpad close-up
Coat eagle close up
"Sol's Edge" Chainaxe close up

The eyes on Cass are still off, but about the best I can do - dots are tricky!

axiom

I love the steampunk vibe to these guys. Cass is a really characterful looking Inquisitor with his long white beard. Nice work!