Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Dapper's WIP Models - Now with INQ28!

Started by DapperAnarchist, August 26, 2010, 02:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inquisitor Goldeneye

I see your 28mm works turned out nicely, then. Sorry to hear the 'spawn didn't do so well.

Also, I like the bodygaurd with the skull hat; what legs are those you're using for him?

Oh, and one other thing while I think of it: Volo & Veres; are those latin for something? I tried looking them up on an internet translator and found that 'volo' can mean to fly or move swiftly, but I didn't find any likely translations for 'veres'.

I just wondered if you were going for the old, 60s Batman thing of henchmen with matching/ themed names.
'A truth that's told with bad intent beats all the lies you can invent.' -  William Wordsworth.

DapperAnarchist

Goldeneye - According to one latin translator, Veres means Strength. Volo, the man, is faster, but Veres, the woman, is stronger. Volo also carries faster firing weapons (two hand cannons) while Veres goes for brute power, with a combat shotgun. And yeah, they were definitely inspired by the matched pair style of various minor comic book bad guys, especially the ones who hung around with the bigger villains - I'm sure Two Face had a pair of sidekicks like that, and I think Black Mask's Falsefacers gang had some like that.

The bodyguard's legs are from a Dark Age mini, a pair of mutated warriors with implanted swords and shields. A sword has been used on Baalim, a shield on the Khorne cultist, Runtkiller, the head on the mutant with the bionic leg, and the body is waiting for more work to turn it in to a feral child.

Dolnikan - Thanks, the Pariah is the third incarnation of that basic model. First it was an Inquisitor, then with the same model a ship's captain for a religious order, then a different model for the first version of the Pariah Agent,  and then I decided to make him weirder with the flat mask and the asymmetrical bionc arm. I might repaint some of the Tron-style light tracks on the Assassin, perhaps go for swirls and whorls of light, rather than the straight up Tron style, though it would easy to ruin that. The head is about as good as I could expect it to be. And as for making models like the bodyguard - look at lots of Blanche art, I guess? Thats what inspired hiim. That, and the model that appeared here of a big game hunter wearing a Krootoid of somekind as a hat.

I should have more to post in a few hours, just finished touching up Baalim the Obscene, more detail on the painting, and a better bit of chest-whipping. I'm also going to try and advance on Inquisitor Adelmar, as he's the next closest to done, then perhaps the Tzeentch Sorceror, as his staff has been improved and needs painting... However, I really should be reading Lyell and Kripke, so perhaps not...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Keravin

Very Blanche look.   Where's the Pariah's body from?

DapperAnarchist

The Pariah is made from a 1/35 Nazi Officer model, no idea where from, I got in a box of military miniatures I picked up while volunteering for Oxfam - they're not allowed to sell military stuff, so anything that comes in is sold cheap to the staff.

Here's the completed Baalim the Obscene. I'm quite pleased.

Here's the PIP Inquisitor Adelmar. I'm trying for a stone effect on his helmet, as its a mystical artifact rather than a "simple" helmet.

Here's my Hrud, Zhon Taanir, with new tentacles protruding from his robes and a face.

And here's an assortment of models - a Crusader, a still very crude Vanus Assassin, and a barbaric Rogue Trader

Dolnikan

Baalim sure looks obscene. I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley, or anywhere at all really. I also really like how you did the tentacles of the hrud, I might steal that some day.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Alyster Wick

I thought I posted something here but apparently it got lost to the whims of the interwebs...

Anyway, trying to recreate it quickly. I like the changes you made to Baalim, the little details went a long way. Not 100% sure what's going on with his right hand (is he holding a bizarre knife or does he have blades fused into his hands?) but in either event I like it.

You might want to consider redoing the mouth on Adelmar. I love the idea of using the Damien head for non-acroflaggelant characters but with the wide open mouth it just makes him look like a frothing loon (although if he is a frothing loon then it's a good look, though a little unhinged for an Inquisitor). Backing up the idea is the great work you're doing on your Rogue Trader's head. You're definitely pushing your sculpting limits and I like the results so far, why not try your hand mucking about with Damien's head? If you don't like the results PM me as I have at least two Damien heads lying around I'd be happy to trade for if you need an extra.

The Crusader is interesting (good use of the halo helmet if I'm spotting it correctly) and I like the idea of a crusader with a flaming hair do (although it's possible from the perspective that the fire comes from a backpack and not his head). I would mention though that his proportions look a bit off, almost as though he's lacking organic curves to his body. Not sure if he's just too skinny or what. Anyway, I'm sure Marco has more insight into how it is anatomically incorrect and how to fix it. It isn't bad per say, there's just something a little off about the figure.

Last but not least that has to be my favorite 54mm take on a Hrud I've seen. I may be stealing that look. He really looks like a character from A Nightmare Before Christmas and I love that about him. Since we're on Hrud, I was wondering if anyone has a definitive picture of one? There was a bit floating around that had an unclothed Hrud looking more like a lanky pseudo-crustation with bug eyes and strange mandibles but I didn't know if it was speculated to be a Hrud or established canonically as one. In either event, in the absence of a definitive "look" for the Hrud beyond knowing they like to cloak themselves and remain hidden I am going to defer to your take on them.

Kaled

There's a picture of a dissected decomposing hrud corpse in Xenology - is that the one you mean?
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

DapperAnarchist

I sort of ignored the Xenology pic when I came back to my Hrud (partly as being too difficult) and went for two things - one, going back to the original source in my much beloved 3rd Ed. Rulebook, and getting away from the rodentine style.

His right hand is indeed a sword, from a Dark Age mini - same as the legs from the Bodyguard.

Adelmar is supposed to be a bit mad, and desperate, he's on the run, trying to escape his guilt, but he can't, as the guilt is the Daemonhost he has made... Over time I may try and make him look more and more ragged, resculpt the knees, the elbows, add patches to his clothing, a bit like how Lichenstein and his crowd developed over time.

The Crusader indeed uses a Master Chief style helmet - I have used another one for some power armour, but a different style, and another is awaiting a use... It is attached to his backpack, not his head. The proportions are probably a bit off, but I'll justify it with the armour.... That, and I've lost a bit of my enthusiasm for this model, so I'll probably just try and get it done.

Alyster Wick

Quote from: Kaled on February 14, 2012, 04:55:24 PM
There's a picture of a dissected decomposing hrud corpse in Xenology - is that the one you mean?

Not to devolve, but the one I was referring to is the first one here in the upper right hand corner of the Lexicanum article. I do believe the one you're referring to Kaled is lower down in the article to the left. While that one is delightfully ambiguous something about the first photo just rubs me the wrong way for what I picture Hrud to look like. I do rather prefer Dapper's version.

Kaled

Huh, I'd forgotten about that picture. I don't have the book in front of me right now, but I think the picture you refer to is an artists impression of the hrud based on the decomposed corpse and without it's covering of rags etc. I'd say that it's canonical in so far as it's a true impression of what a Biologis tech-priest thinks a hrud looks like, but given the difficulties in observing them while alive and the fact that their bodies decompose and liquefy rapidly when they die, it may not be an entirely accurate picture.

But back to the models, I agree that the hrud is very nice and makes me tempted to try building one of my own. The Baalim model is excellent, I especially like his face - very scary.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

DapperAnarchist

Updates! Incomplete updates, because I forgot to take photos of my Slaanesh cultist. Perhaps tomorrow.

Firstly, my Harlequin is nearly finished. She just needs a sort of chain of grenades at her side, for her hallucinogenic grenades.

Hopefully the hands will blend in better with paint. The pose is intentionally weird, she's a dancer who has totally dedicated her life to dance from a race who can dedicate themselves to stuff so well they created a god and ripped a hole in reality, she dances in ways that are impossible.

One of my mutants is finished, just needs a base now.

He's very blue, I know - I wanted to go back to the weird skin colours that the Studio produced for some characters in the original run, like the other Arcoflagellant. Another mutant will probably be sort of reddish, and the last a more natural brown.

And the bodyguard is being painted. Somehow, despite having two lights on him, the photos came out impenetrably dark... He's got grey, almost black skin, and steel armour, and dark green loincloth, so dark colours a thing for him.

Bits are going to be painted over again, as plans change.

Dolnikan

I like the pose on the harlequin, it is dynamic and strange, which I think fits well. I like the blue on the mutant as well, it makes it seem much weirder than when it would have had a more normal skin colour.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

MarcoSkoll

I do wonder if that deep blue is going to get your mutant mistaken for a daemon. A flesh tone - even an unhealthy flesh tone - will help suggest a marginally human origin. An inhuman flesh tone with an inhuman shape... well, there's nothing to give away the lost humanity.

I deliberately kept natural (if unusual) flesh tones when designing Jax Lynn for a similar reason. Because she doesn't have any total malformation (other than having a tail, everything else is in the right place. Being almost human, but recognisably not, is a big theme of the character), an unnatural flesh tone could have fallen foul of the common trope of humanoid (or near-humanoid) aliens.
So I went with mottled albinism - human, but a further hint at mutation.

While Chaos related mutations certainly have some justifications for some weirder colours (another reason I avoided odd colours for Jax, as her mutations are not the taint of Chaos), I'd recommend that with your other mutants, you keep at least some human tones in there to have them retain the merest scrap of humanity.
That could be by having a more subtle change of colour (Simeon wasn't such a strong blue) or by perhaps keeping part of them retaining a human tone. A single flesh coloured arm would strengthen the appearance of mutation over daemonhood.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

DapperAnarchist

Well, they are chaos mutants, not twists or abnormali or hive scum. They're going to be relatively anonymous muscle for my chaos-related characters, such as the two Traitor Marines, the renegade Inquisitor, or the four cultists. But I might try and make it a little more natural, use some washes to move it from the purple-blue to the grey-blue, more like Simeon's skin.

DapperAnarchist

Updates! Some WIP, some PIP, some complete. WIP first!

This is the beginning of a chair-bound character, crippled by a horrible disease. Obviously very very WIP, but the concept is there.

A vox-equipped Servoskull, for the Pariah Agent to use.

My newest Mechanicus character. Still unnamed, but equipped with a breacher unit and a graviton gun.

Painting in Progress models now!

This model was complete, but then I came back and made it better - it's my Renegade Inquisitor, Lady Kalanode, now with a much better version of her Daemonweapon, Eligos

This is my Crusader model from above, now carrying an axe and a scratch build Hellgun. It's pretty packed with scopes - two ordinary ones, plus some sort of exotic one. I'll figure out what they are later. You might notice the fire bit has gone missing, I just need to find it.

And the completed ones!

My deranged Inquisitor, Genya Adelmar. I think this is the third time I've painted him, might leave it at this point.

And last of all, the fourth member of my quartet of Chaos Cultists, the King of Limbs. A Slaanesh cultist, as I'm sure you can see. Another model I dismantled and then came back to.