Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Regulator Morton

Started by Van Helser, August 16, 2009, 01:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Helser

It occurred to me yesterday that I had had this model sitting on my desk waiting to be painted for over a year since building him.  That's a new record for me (with Inquisitor models at least!), and due to the fact that I rather like this guy, I whipped the paints out and quickly gave him some colour, and thanks to my new home made wet palette, I think he's turned out excellently.  For those interested, he's based off the Latorre Airman.

Photobucket is being antsy today, so I'm linking to the photos on Picasa until I can get round to embedding the images here.

Photos added.

Comments and criticisms welcome as always.

Ruaridh

Darios

yeah that's a cool cop if i ever saw one... nice work... definitly great model and conversion...

Alyster Wick

Simple but effective model.  Looks great!

I have to claim my ignorance on the subject of wet palettes, but whenever a claver mentions having one their models tend to look fantastic.  While I'm sure this has more to do with skill than anything, could you by chance let me know (1) what a wet palette is and (2) how to make a home made one?

Thanks!

Macabre

He is looking at his maul with a "who should I hit next?" or "where should I put this?" expression....

Very nice model, loving the sober colour palette...
++Believe the lie. Trust no one++

Van Helser

Quote from: Alyster Wick on August 16, 2009, 04:09:25 PM
Simple but effective model.  Looks great!

I have to claim my ignorance on the subject of wet palettes, but whenever a claver mentions having one their models tend to look fantastic.  While I'm sure this has more to do with skill than anything, could you by chance let me know (1) what a wet palette is and (2) how to make a home made one?

Thanks!

A wet palette is essentially a mixing pad that will keep the paint wet while you paint, meaning it's great for blending. It's easy to keep the shades similar as the paint doesn't dry out on you. It's made such a difference to my painting with this guy I can't believe it took me this long to make one.

It's exceptionally easy to make one too.

Take the plastic packaging from an Inquisitor model, pour some water in one of the compartments, trim a kitchen sponge to size and place it in the water, and put some greaseproof paper on top. Mix the paint on the paper and voilĂ , you have a wet palette. The water will leech through the sponge and paper to keep the paint wet, meaning that if you like you can close the lid overnight and still have the exact shade of paint you had to start again with. Brilliant!

Colonel Marbi Chora

Quote from: Van Helser on August 16, 2009, 05:29:42 PMTake the plastic packaging from an Inquisitor model, pour some water in one of the compartments, trim a kitchen sponge to size and place it in the water, and put some greaseproof paper on top. Mix the paint on the paper and voilĂ , you have a wet palette. The water will leech through the sponge and paper to keep the paint wet, meaning that if you like you can close the lid overnight and still have the exact shade of paint you had to start again with. Brilliant!

That easy?!

Model looks cool, an average joe in the 41st millenium!

Kaled

I'd forgotten about this guy - I seem to remember thinking he should have bigger shoulder pads, but I was wrong, he looks great.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Hadriel Caine

very smooth paintjob and cool conversion. That head works on everything it seems!
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Van Helser

It is a very useful head.  I think the neutral (but still badass) expression helps it settle on many a neck.

Cheers for the comments in general guys.  Hopefully I'll be getting back into a decent painting routine over the next few weeks.  The Ash Wastes Guardsman and his little Scum friend are next on the list, and I look forward to trying out my new wet palette on them too.  Lots of blending potential on the Guardsman's coat.  I've got some other models in the pipeline, but as they're sculpts from scratch, they may take a wee while to reach fruition.

Oh, and does anyone else have a problem uploading photos onto photobucket from Google Chrome?  Tried every day this week, and in frustration fired up IE and they went up with no trouble at all.  Strange...

precinctomega

I've found that I can't upload photos to Photobucket sub-albums, but can upload them to the base album and then move them into the sub-albums.

Occasionally, I manage to get them to upload straight to a sub-album, but then it reverts.  So I assume the guys at Google are working on the problem, whatever it is.

R.

kierkegaard

Very understated, and very cool. Nice work Van.