Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Wick's Inq Graveyard (pic heavy)

Started by Alyster Wick, August 16, 2009, 05:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alyster Wick

I've been unable to acquire a suitable camera to take pics of the models I worked on this week, but I will none the less deliver on my promise of new content! 

With the exception of the CSM, all these models have been torn apart and are being rebuilt (the CSM is getting a weapon swap and has had the 28mm skulls removed from his shoulderpad).  While I like most of these minis (it saddened me to take apart the investigator, but I needed his head) a good many of them were put together in a rather slapdash fashion and without any particular character in mind.  I've been much happier with my more recent projects and have no regrets taking them apart, however I thought it might be fun to give you guys a look (PS apologies, this was during my white undercoat phase).

Frankenbeast (not sure what I was thinking when this guy was put together)

Tech Priest

Redemptionist

Penitent

Investigator

Inquisitor

Guardsmen

Assassin

CSM

There they are!  If any of them strike your fancy I have alternate angle shots of everyone.

Van Helser

Those are some seriously cool figures, oozing "40k" as well.

If I had to pick a favourite, I'd plump for the investigator. His pose is excellent, and the pistol looks great. A marine bolter, yes?

Alyster Wick

QuoteIf I had to pick a favourite, I'd plump for the investigator. His pose is excellent, and the pistol looks great. A marine bolter, yes?

Honestly, after posting this picture I'm hardpressed to put him back together (along with shaving some mold lines, better greenstuff jointing, and a new head since unfortunately the other is now on my namesake).

But yes, the pistol is a slightly modified space marine bolter.  I trimmed the magazine since it now goes in the pistol's grip and took off the barrel so it wasn't quite so obvious.  Overall I was pretty happy with the results.

Now I'm getting to work and trying out that wet palette you suggested.  Now all I need is a camera...

phil1103

Quote from: Alyster Wick on August 16, 2009, 07:28:51 PM
QuoteIf I had to pick a favourite, I'd plump for the investigator. His pose is excellent, and the pistol looks great. A marine bolter, yes?

But yes, the pistol is a slightly modified space marine bolter.  I trimmed the magazine since it now goes in the pistol's grip and took off the barrel so it wasn't quite so obvious.  Overall I was pretty happy with the results.

I've already shamlessly stolen this for my latest conversion...

Cheers!

Phil1103

Colonel Marbi Chora

Quote from: phil1103 on August 16, 2009, 09:50:44 PM
Quote from: Alyster Wick on August 16, 2009, 07:28:51 PM

I've already shamlessly stolen this for my latest conversion...

Cheers!

Phil1103

Same here. That's a really original way of modifying the bolter, I hadn't thought of moving the magazine!
You've also got me thinking about picking up a covenant, that head is perfect for what I have in mind.

The Colonel

Simeon Blackstar

That Investigator is seriously cool.  Seriously, that's a keeper.  I also rather like the Redemptionist - nicely different to just a slight conversion of Malicant.

precinctomega

...and don't we all wish Kal Jerico hadn't been discontinued?

Let me add my appreciation for the Investigator model.  Look for a new Eisenhorn head at the Arcadian Smugglers' Ring.  The conversion of the bolter is really excellent: simple, elegant and convincing.

R.

Kaled

Yeah, that investigator is excellent - definitely my favourite of your models.  The bolter conversion is excellent - I'll definitely be copying that one!
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

kierkegaard

I think that the Invesigator's pistol will become known as 'The Wick Pattern Stub Gun.' I also predict that we will be seeing quite a few of them in the future, as it is just so damn cool. I know that I will be copying it.

I really like the look of most of these models, but I feel the need to point out the awful mould lines left on some of the models, and what appears to be a piece of flash on the Invetigator's lower right jacket hem. (I hope that this doesn't come across as rude and condescending.)

Are you going to give the Investigator some sort of belt mounted equipment on the holster attachment points? If not, I think the model would look better if you removed them. (The same goes for the amulet attachment point on the Eisenhorn conversion.)

LazarusKing

LOVING that Tech Priest.  Interesting use of an odd bit of sprue there.  And the usage of Fabius Bile's backpack really fits it well.

The CSM is very nice also.

Alyster Wick

QuoteI really like the look of most of these models, but I feel the need to point out the awful mould lines left on some of the models, and what appears to be a piece of flash on the Invetigator's lower right jacket hem. (I hope that this doesn't come across as rude and condescending.)

Not rude at all, you're 100% correct, I used to complete ignore mold lines (all of these models are at least 3 years old).  In the case Investigator's case, it isn't flash, but a horrendous job lining up the torso with the legs (which contain an extra bit of belt) and an even worse job trying to fill the gap with greenstuff (at least I think that's what's you're seeing, to be fair he also has terrible mold lines).

While I've been doing more work on them in the past month than I have in the past few years, I unfortunately do not have a camera that can take suitable pictures.  Look forward to a revamped Investigator soon.  I was considering a weapon swap, but everyone's positive comments on the pistol have reendeared it to me. 

Also, I followed Van Hesler's instructions on making a wet palette.  Combining that with a little more patience and I must say I was surprised how much better everything looked.  One more paycheck and I swear I'll post pictures!

1337inquisitor

these models are a perfect example of how effective 40k conversions are and how they can work in INQ
No honey, the true moral of the story is never put down your weapon.

Homer Simpson