Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Gav's Challenge; Entries

Started by greenstuff_gav, September 03, 2010, 02:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenstuff_gav

so, a fair turn out for this one, including a pair of late entries (PO and myself!)... although technically not one of you followed the rules and emailed me, so i win by default  ;D

banter aside, i've made some montages of the entries and now throw it out to the whole 'clave to vote who is the winner.
i'm gonna throw some thoughts on each entry here as well as some would need some work to be castable.

ENTRY: brother_brimstone
i like this one; reminds me alot of the Pyro! i think it needs a little more detail, maybe some reinforcement around the eye-ports and a strap / buckle at the back / around the neck.
Casting wise, should be doable, although two-part, with the canister / pipe seperate

DEMO: greenstuff_gav
the detail on this one is a little too soft and organic, plus the shape itself is wrong for a head; a more egg shape would have improved this entry alot.
Casting wise, shouldn't be too much trouble.

DEMO: greenstuff_gav
This one is better, however the helmet is rather unfinished; i'd add panels onto the sides to match a Cadian helmet and maybe a respirator onto the front / side.
Casting wise, again shouldn't bee too much trouble.

ENTRY: Kallidor
This one screams Imperial Guard to me, and would be suitable for PCs and NPCs alike :)
the detail looks a little soft however; if is something like bone attached to the helmet, that works. if its armour plate would need sharpening up (or more images! :D )
Casting wise, would need a top down shot, but i suspect could be cast through the neck without too much trouble.

ENTRY: Lacerto
This one should get a special mention for taking a route i hadn't expected; instead of replacing the head, it is attached to the face of the miniatures' head!
While causing some interesting issues with regard to filing off faces, has plenty of character and quite well defined features.
I'd be tempted to sculpt a backpack to go with it, however!
Casting wise, should not provide any troubles if the backplate is flat.

ENTRY: PrecinctOmega
a late-comer, PO provides us with a rather interesting mask with hood.
I think the detail on the visor is a little undefined and the sculpting a little rough, but the mass of pipes and globes provide an interesting look that would have people stopping for a closer look!
Casting wise, the only issue i can see is casting the dangling pipes. Either they are added as an additional sprue or left off

ENTRY: Shannow #1
while technically the sculpting work is a little rough, this entry would work well in a variety of situations; from civilian scientist miniatures to troop equipment used in an emergency, it has thought out components.
I'd be tempted to replace the tubing with either plastic  or brass rod or the ever-handy Guitar wire to add abit of definition.
Casting wise, i can't see any issues with casting this entry

ENTRY: Serge
This is another Imperial Guard-inspired piece!
i think the sculpting is a little rough in places and the respirator is a little long / the goggles a little small.
But great detail work and a unit of them would look fantastic!
Casting wise, i'd have to have a look, i think i'd need to mould through the back of the helmet to ensure it came out of the mould ok!

ENTRY: Shannow #2
Now this entry is a completely different style and suits the sculptor alot more; a very tek-themed piece, some nice clean edges and interesting bits :)
Casting wise, once again there should be no issues with this entry (but the antenna worries me slightly!)

ENTRY: Tessio Niri
a demonstration that sculpting isn't required when sculpting miniatures :D
By using a variety of plasticard pieces, this entry provides a very cold, uniform look that has a completely different feel to the other entries
Casting wise, i see no issues with casting this entry up.

ENTRY: TwinDeath #2
This entry takes another unusual turn; it included a chest / belt piece with controls for (possibly) and air purifier
One issue with a piece like this is the vast plethora of conversions would make it slightly more difficult to utilise on a character.
I'm not sure what putty this is, looks alot like Milliput, i think it would need some attention in redefining some of the details; going over the edges to sharpen them up, then sculpting the detail in a more traditional putty would help bring the details out more.
Casting wise, the control box would need to be cast as a separate piece and the connecting brass wire would work better if was included rather than being cast (this would also aid modellers to place the components more naturally!)

ENTRY: TwinDeath #2
another sculptor that took a completely different approach with their second entry; shows great innovation :D
As with the previous entry,  the details could use a bit more work to help them stand out from the main bulk of the sculpt and possibly add some reinforcement to the respirator / goggle to help define the detail.
Casting Wise, the trailing bandages would need removing and blending into the mask slightly more, otherwise they risk catching in the mould and tearing it.

All in all, many thanks to everyone who entered and those who posted comments in the individual threads.

so, can everyone post in this thread which your favourite entry is; the one with most votes by Friday the 10th will be declared Winner and i'll PM with regard to shipping goodies out to them!
if we could also have a tally of which entries you'd like to see cast, i'll look at arranging that once i get back from Canada  ;D
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

precinctomega

Kaled

Kallidor's is my favourite too, but I look forwards to seeing them all used on models at some point.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

DapperAnarchist

Kallidor -  I think that its a tragedy that that 1st edition super-detailed organic metal/Giger's Dune/Genestealer Cult Robes look has been mostly abandoned, and this taps into it so well.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Shannow

PO's gets my vote, I love the asymmetry with the orbs and pipes.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Alta

PrecintOmega, definately.
It just looks perfect for the the 41st millenium and seems a lot like something a techpriest would wear.

Well done to all entries though.
...Few things in life make sense and unfortunately for you I am not one of them...

Hadriel Caine

The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Acolyte Havlan Tome

Kallidor for the sheer can't look away feeling it gives
I will say that tessio niri would have been my second choice
If you catch sight of me twice your either lucky or not worth exterminating

TheNephew

I'll vote Serge, since the mask looks nice and sinister and fits in with the current round of GW art.

Followed by Kallidor, for most of the above reasons, especially because it harks back to the old Rogue Trader space opera origins.

And with a special mention to Shannow for making a SAVA suit helmet.

Alyster Wick

Lots of great entries, but Serge's mask takes the cake for me.  Largely voting for it out of an intense desire to own it after it's casted.

Van Helser

Lacerto for me - that one looks cheap and mass-producible, which is very 40k.  Buy two Mars Pattern Lasguns, get a Lacerto Pattern Rebreather for free!

Myriad

Really is a good selection, with plenty of variety in the approaches. 

I think I'll cast my vote in with Kallidor overall.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

phil-o-mat

they are all nice, but my vote goes to kallidor.

Zakkeg

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper; only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Flinty

Vote for PO,  but if there is a second place Id vote for Tessio.
Neanderthal and Proud!