Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Stienhoff (Radical Thorian)

Started by Kasthan, August 16, 2009, 08:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kasthan

Hi, this is my first post on this forum; however I have been a lurker for some time. I know some of you from the Spring Conclave meet up at WHW (My name is Alex).

Here is my first character:
Inquisitor Alexander Stienhoff
WS   BS    S      T      I       Wp    Sg    Nv    Ld    Sp
71   34   48   51   67   83   78   57   71   4

Ranged; None. Uses P powers only.
CC Weapons: Daemon Sword (Daemon Sword; Mystic; Fireball, Warp flame, Ever-burning. Wp. 60 + D10) (taken from the guidelines on the old 'clave). Mace.
Equipment: Inscribed Carapace Armour, Bionic Legs (+1 Amour, Can’t Sprint), Injector: Morphine (10), (T increased by 3D10. –D10 off mental and I characteristics for every turn activated (recovered D3+3 turns after last  dose)).
Abilities + P powers: Right Handed, Feint (swords only), Leader, Heroic. Sanctuary, Banishment, Seal Warp Breach, Stigmatise , Fireball (daemon sword), Gaze Of Death

Brief background (to be truly fleshed out at a later date)
Born the son of a noble on the planet Kalen (hiveworld). Learns duelling, favours swords esp. rapier style blades.  In private at around the age of 17 discovers he can manipulate small objects and kill by looking then wishing for the target to die. Afraid of himself and the Inquisition, he prays at the chapel. No respite comes. In his 19th year, the Blackships came on their collections. Detected, Stienhoff hands himself in knowing the Empower would wish this so. Whilst on board, sentenced to his doom, he is studied by an Inquistior Bathemual, a Thorian. It is deemed after many secret trials that Steinhoff could possibly make an Inquisitor.

For many years he trains and learns.

At the age of 43 he is given his full title, after defeating the heretic Sabilo.

Over the years he studies further and further into the ideals of the Thorian concepts. He convinces himself that if a daemon can be bound to a body or an object, why not part of the Emperor’s soul could do the same. Wishing to develop the skill necessary to complete such a task, he travelled the galaxy talking and fighting over knowledge that would aid him. In his 101st year he managed to bind a lesser daemon of Tzeentch to a sword. His most recent and successful binding has been with the daemon prince Ito'good (It of the God) into a shell of flesh.

He is now in his 236th year, his stamina and speed has slightly ebbed, requiring mechanical aid. His mind however has not. His equipment is that of one who not only binds and controls entities of the warp but fights them with a vigour that Inquisitors half his age would wish they had.

Images of model:
http://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu104/Kasthan/Inquisitor/?action=view&current=P8166150.jpg
http://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu104/Kasthan/Inquisitor/?action=view&current=P8166155.jpg
http://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu104/Kasthan/Inquisitor/?action=view&current=P8166154.jpg

Comments and Criticism welcome.     

(edited for spelling errors)

Ynek

Your inquisitor certainly has an interesting take on the Thorian philosophy, and the fact that you've taken a typically very puritan ideology and twisted it to become something more radical is quite intriguing.

I notice that the model has an eyepatch, but there's no mention in his backstory of how he lost/injured his eye. Perhaps he's the sort of gentleman who chooses to wear an eyepatch simply because he feels it makes him look dashing and interesting?
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

DapperAnarchist

I like it - but - whats the swords name? the Host (nice phrase, shell of flesh, getting across some serious callousness) has one, but the sword should too, even for a lesser daemon.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Kasthan

Quote from: Ynek on August 16, 2009, 10:14:05 PM
I notice that the model has an eyepatch, but there's no mention in his backstory of how he lost/injured his eye. Perhaps he's the sort of gentleman who chooses to wear an eyepatch simply because he feels it makes him look dashing and interesting?

I forgot to incudle this detail: The eye patch does cover a very recent eye injury. He received it fighting aganist a couple of Eldar rangers (who had been sent to stop him and his work, by ending his life). It was a lucky knife stroke that glanced across his eye.
This explains the low Bs.

Quote from: DapperAnarchist on August 16, 2009, 11:20:08 PM
whats the swords name? the sword should too, even for a lesser daemon.

The sword is called Magroc't. Nagroc't was a powerful Sorcerer, who failed Tzeentch and was cursed to become a flaming enitity that led Flamers of Tzeentch into battle. Once drawn it bursts into green flame (a real give away if fighting with or against the more puritain types).

Inquisitor Cade

Hi there nice to see you here. We chatted at bit at the Spring conclave and my guardsman watched on as my allies assassin cut through that flamer, taking out four characters at once, two on each side.

Why does he not use guns? does he have a philosophical objection to them or is it because he is useless with them?

I don't remember the daemon weapons from the old conclave, do you have them about? Also what does stigmatise do?

The stats seem approapriate and restrained, but in my opinion there is something missing from the back story to justify heroic.
*Insert token witticism*

Inq Leonite

Wouldnt a radical Thorian who uses Daemon Weapons count as a Horusian?

And Cade, Stigmatise is from the Thorian sourcebook.

Adlan

I like the Wisywig of the leg braces, too few use the model as if it had impaired moblity.

Inquisitor Cade

QuoteAnd Cade, Stigmatise is from the Thorian sourcebook.

Ah yes, that would have been the obvious place for me to look.
*Insert token witticism*

Kasthan

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on August 17, 2009, 10:38:50 AM
Why does he not use guns? does he have a philosophical objection to them or is it because he is useless with them?
The stats seem approapriate and restrained, but in my opinion there is something missing from the back story to justify heroic.

He does not use guns for a mixture of reasons: a) he is a fairly bad shot to start with b) Sword play and duelling is what he enjoys c) P-powers both his (Gaze of Death) and the Sword (Fireball) make up for the guns d) the loss of an eye has ruined his long range depth perception

Heroic is due to 'fights them with a vigour that Inquisitors half his age would wish they had' (which will be expaned at a later date). He has seen the pits of Chaos with his research and fought aganist many foes, knowing each time he could die/lose his soul but continues with his work. (If a better, more suited Talent can be found please let me know).

Quote from: Inq Leonite on August 17, 2009, 02:18:13 PM
Wouldnt a radical Thorian who uses Daemon Weapons count as a Horusian?

I counter this as from Steinhoff POV he is a Thorian. He is working to allow the Emporer back on to this mortal plane. He may very well appear to be from a outsider, but to him and his team this is not so.

Kaled

Quote from: Kasthan on August 17, 2009, 11:13:27 PM
I counter this as from Steinhoff POV he is a Thorian. He is working to allow the Emporer back on to this mortal plane. He may very well appear to be from a outsider, but to him and his team this is not so.
I'm curious - what is it that leads him to believe that whereas others who use Chaos in order to resurrect the Emperor are dubbed Horusians he has not yet crossed the line into being a Horusian himself?  Where does he believe the line is between Thorian and Horusian beliefs?
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Kasthan

Stienhoff does not want to see himself as a radical, he belives that his actions are pure and helpful to mankind.
He would argue that the Hoursians and Xanthites use knowledge about chaos to further their own goals not those of the Emperor, thus it corrupts them. However his aims are for the Emperor and still about finding a host body that Thorianism is about, so he is not corrupt and definate not radical.

But in fact the Horusian aspects about his work over shadow his claims.

Kaled

Why does Stienhoff not want to see himself as radical?  Am I right in thinking that he sees the line between puritan and radical as being one of motives rather than actions?  So what is it that has led him to the belief that radicals are selfish and don't act in the best interests of the Imperium?  Most Horusians consider themselves to be puritan and acting in the best interests of mankind, and Stienhoff seems to share their belief that the powers of Chaos can be harnessed to transfer the Emperor's soul into the body of a living god.  So, perhaps in his more Thorian youth, he crossed swords with a powerful Horusian, one who took his views to the extreme and believed that a new Emperor could be created.  Maybe the encounter forever tainted Stienhoff's views of the faction to the point that he deludes himself that his current views are somehow not Horusian?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not suggesting that your character shouldn't consider himself a puritan and Thorian; I'm just exploring what has led him to believe what he does in the face of evidence to the contrary.  He's a very experienced Inquisitor, and ought to have a thorough understanding of factional politics - but his views currently give the impression he's deluded and a bit naive.

BTW - is his name Steinhoff or Stienhoff?  You've used both spellings...
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Kasthan

Thanks Kaled, good point. More thought and detail is required. Will have a deeper think about this.
Problem is the lines between the different factions are so thin in some areas it is imposssible to be called one or the other, apart from personal choice (thus carrying out character design becomes very difficult).

(Name should be spelt Stienhoff, my mistake for incorrect spelling)