Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Games Day UK : Inquisitor-fest

Started by greenstuff_gav, September 27, 2010, 07:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenstuff_gav

so, Games Day UK having been and gone, GW is showing off some Golden Daemon entries. While i usually check out the Uk Squad and Monster (that ogryn? well inspiring!) categories, was pleased to see many Inquisitor Figures in the Large Scale Section   8)

c'mon GW! give 54mm some more love  ;D
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Heroka Vendile

i would note that certainly the two Space Marines on the bottom right of the Large Scale page are in fact the 6" Forgeworld model rather than the INQ one, as for the third marine it's hard to say which it is.

It is a very nice Scarn though.

Is it just me or are the jpegs not exactly top quality? I keep spotting artefacts in the images.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Heroka Vendile on September 28, 2010, 02:18:13 PMIs it just me or are the jpegs not exactly top quality?
No, they really are appalling. A lot of them are something like a couple of dozen kb each, which for images of that size is just ridiculous. Either the photographer or the photoshop guy has really messed up with the image quality settings.

And that's just unfair on the painters involved - that kind of crappy compression means the models just don't look anything near as good as I know they must.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Vermis

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on September 28, 2010, 02:48:24 PM
And that's just unfair on the painters involved - that kind of crappy compression means the models just don't look anything near as good as I know they must.

I dunno.  To be honest I'm a bit surprised by the painting quality on some, if these are meant to be the cream of the crop.  That FW ogryn in the monster category, especially.  It's got the stark highlighting style that GW's using these days, some weird shading bordering on blacklining, and what look like drybrushed bits.  Nowhere near the super-smooth blends and lighting you'd expect from the paint-monsters that win GDs.

(And sorry.  It looks like it took a lot of time, skill and effort; but it also looks like Inquisitor Scarn's wearing his auntie's curtains.)
www.minisculpture.co.uk - a place about pushing putty 'til it does what you want it.  Currently recuperating from being hackered and knackered.

Saussure

The images presented are not all meant to be the cream of the crop - they're a sample of entries to give a flavour of the variety on show. I'm sure we'll see the traditional spread of winners on the website and in White Dwarf in due time.

Herodotus Benedict Saussure
Ordo Hereticus Terran
Forum Moderator

steveb

I can tell you that all three of the Space Marines in the large scale category there are the giant Forgeworld ones. There really weren't many entries in Large Scale this year though Jakob Nielson entered a sublime Death Company Marine (converted extensively from Artemis) in the Open that I was surprised did not pick up a trophy.

The photos on the site are terrible but it all seems to be the jpeg compression. I'm sure the GD report ones will be better. Apparently all the winners will go up later in the week.

Vermis

Quote from: Saussure on September 28, 2010, 06:59:20 PM
The images presented are not all meant to be the cream of the crop - they're a sample of entries to give a flavour of the variety on show.

Aah.  Then I was wrong.  I prostrate myself and beg the Conclave's pardon.
www.minisculpture.co.uk - a place about pushing putty 'til it does what you want it.  Currently recuperating from being hackered and knackered.

precinctomega

I was deeply unimpressed with the Large Scale Model category this year, after the wonderfulness of last year's offerings.  I think next year, this category and the Duel section might get my fullest attention.

R.

if5tatement

Quote from: Saussure on September 28, 2010, 06:59:20 PM
The images presented are not all meant to be the cream of the crop - they're a sample of entries to give a flavour of the variety on show. I'm sure we'll see the traditional spread of winners on the website and in White Dwarf in due time.

The images are poor quality because they were the ones taken on site that day as part of Golden Demon live on the website and for showing on the screens which were part of the GD setup. They had a fairly small photography set up there and were going through a lot very quickly.

At least two of those forge world space marines were in the top three. The dark angels one was definitely in there, think the other was the ultramarine. I can't remember what order, and I can't remember the winner.

Oh and the winners photo meet is next april. Which means they wont be in White Dwarf for a few months after that.

Heroka Vendile

april? I wouldn't have thought so, I know WD has a surprisingly long lead time on its articles, but they pump out the Games Day stuff pretty quickly - otherwise it'd cease to be relevant at all. And they take their best miniature photographers to Golden Demons so they can take all the pictures of the winning entires on the day and leave it at that - always has been the case in recent years.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Hadriel Caine

The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

if5tatement

Quote from: Heroka Vendile on October 04, 2010, 12:16:41 AM
april? I wouldn't have thought so, I know WD has a surprisingly long lead time on its articles, but they pump out the Games Day stuff pretty quickly - otherwise it'd cease to be relevant at all. And they take their best miniature photographers to Golden Demons so they can take all the pictures of the winning entires on the day and leave it at that - always has been the case in recent years.

I'm not sure that's the case. They even state in the Golden Demon booklet which they put out with White Dwarf that some entries can't be shown as their owners were unable to make the photography meet. I have never known the UK Golden Demon to be in a white dwarf any earlier than January the next year. Anyway all I know is we have a Bronze winner in our club who has been asked to go next April for photographing.

Heroka Vendile

January for sure is what I remember, if they wait as long as April just for the photography then it's half a year later already and thats not including the lead time of a couple months before it actually makes print.

Also, well done Mr SteveB on the two silver demons.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

steveb

Thanks, it was a buzz to be back on stage at the end (especially with the Truro Massive doing their best to ensure I got the biggest cheer) :)

There hasn't been a booklet for GD with White Dwarf for a few years now and they typically get half decent pics of everything on the day. Judging by the coverage on the site they've done pretty well this time (I know both my winners are looking pretty good and my Greatsword even has a decent rear view). I'd imagine that the photography on the day would be just to ensure they have the best quality photos they can for archival purposes. Not sure even that's required as my Ogre from 2005 made it's way into the new Warhammer rulebook and that pic would have been taken at GD.

I'd expect the GD report to be in White Dwarf before the April day would suggest otherwise, with lead times, we'll be lucky for them to be in White Dwarf ahead of GD 2011...