Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Non-Psyker Inq and their Psyker Buddies

Started by Easy E, September 30, 2010, 06:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Easy E

So, if an Inquisitor has no Psyker abilities, what doe she do to make sure a membe rof his own staff who is a psyker doesn't mess with his mind? 

I'm working under the assumption that Pariahs are very, very rare, and that equivalent technologies are relatively scarce.   

^Cheapskate^

MarcoSkoll

This is only part of the answer, but ask this question: If an Inquisitor isn't a particularly good fighter, what does he/she do to stop their more able bodyguard stabbing them in the back?

Just about any member of an Inquisitor's entourage has some advantage over the Inquisitor - Inquisitors aren't perfect Mary Sues, their allies are usually there because they do something (or somethings) better than the Inquisitor.
An Inquisitor has to keep their entourage in check by some manner. Some will do it by respect, some friendship, but some will rule with outright fear. Even then, there has to be an element of trust that this reason will keep them from turning against the Inquisitor.

However, not being a psyker doesn't make you automatically vulnerable if your psyker does turn. There are said to be many "mental techniques" to resist psykers, and Inquisitors can naturally be expected to have incredible force of personal will. (Faith is also said to be a counter to psychic powers)

"Equivalent" technologies are not all that rare, at least not for Inquisitors - see Hexagrammic wards for example. Not as strong, but still very efficient.
Ultimately the rulebook gives the various ways in which psychic powers are resisted - either in the descriptions of the power (in which case it's usually Wp based), or various items.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Myriad

The ability to mess with someone's mind seems to be a relatively rare psychic power, and with most of the powers in the rulebook it would become apparent. 

Also, citizens are brought up from an early age to believe that messing with inquisitors is misguided, to say the least.
Most staff members with psychic powers will be sanctioned psykers, which entails a rather extensive vetting process and any amount of training to ensure their trustworthiness.  Not infallible, of course.  The extent of their powers would also be examined, and those with a potential for 'subtle' mind control flagged (or, quite likely, eliminated).  Like most average imperial citizens (more so), the potential for turning upon an inquisitor isn't really part of their mindset.

Once you're dealing with unsanctioned psykers, of course, the risk is greatly increased.  As Marco points out, there's a similar issue with employing mercenaries.  The inquisitor needs some reason to trust the individual concerned, or else sees the potential gains as worth the risk.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Flinty

Surely no-one in the Imperium trusts a Psycher, sanctioned or not; there is after all, constant haranging from the Ecclesiarchy and virtually every other Imperial institution about the danger inherant in meddling with forces beyond control etc etc.

The Black Ships and associated fluff seems to suggest that most worlds view psychers as accidents waiting to happen, which must be bolstered by constant urban myth production - ''a mate of mine's cousin knew this guy who ported a bloodletter while queing in the canteen...total mayhem. But he did get a free cup of tea''.

I'd therefore imagine that Psychers become used to most people looking at them funny pretty much all of the time, and most likely all too keen to blow thier heads off if they look a bit off-colour or under the weather.

Maybe the point is that as a member of an Inquisitor's retinue, the Psycher is provided with a (relatively) safe and supportive/accepting environment, and therefore are the least likely one to off thier protector...
Neanderthal and Proud!

Easy E

So if you have a Radical using a potentially unsanctioned psyker, its a bit more of a story telling issue.  You should be able to provide, via background; the leverage that the Inquisitor uses to keep the Psyker in line. 

Of course, shoudl that leverage fail, their will need to be.... other safe guards.  Even if they are as simple as a rather violent man shooting said psyker repeatedly at close range.   
^Cheapskate^

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Flinty on October 01, 2010, 08:54:35 AMSurely no-one in the Imperium trusts a Psyker, sanctioned or not
There are degrees of trust. I wouldn't say any Inquisitor would trust any of their entourage completely, but they wouldn't have someone around unless they trusted them enough.

Relative degrees of trust is a main point with some of my characters. In fact, I'd say that if you're not building reasons why an Inquisitor would be wary of some of their allies, you're missing out.

GW's =I= articles

Shannow

There is always the inquisitor who has colossal arrogance that blinds him to a threat from someone he believes he has complete dominion also. But I agree with marco, it is certainly a nice dynamic to consider within your groups.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Swarbie

Well, the main problem with using psykers has been touched on already - no matter how careful you are, there's always going to be that one single astropath/sanctioned psyker/rogue psyker who you hire, only for their head to explode and allow a daemon into reality. If this happens, it's not gonna end well for you.

In light of this possibility, I say it's very unlikely that psykers will be trusted beyond their designated tasks (and then they'll be watched closely) or making the tea (when they will be watched VERY closely). But on the other appendage, there are always people who won't take such things seriously. But an Inquisitor should know better.

Should being the most important word in that sentence . . .
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

Bergtorp

Thought of this right now. If the Inquisitor were a Pariah, he would be immune to all psykers. Shouldn't a Pariah be a prime target for an Inquisitor to train to be an Acolyte. Sure, they ain't so fun to be around, but they can be very dangerous.

MarcoSkoll

No. Pariahs, while they have some advantages, are not likely candidates for Inquisitors.

Inquisitors rely on a degree of charisma - and as their name implies, Pariahs don't inspire that. They are immediately hated and disliked, and even the more mild cases (with only partial immunity) will suffer everyone being eternally irritated with them.

There are some Inquisitors with various degrees of psi-negativity - they're not that uncommon as fan characters, but most people who write them overlook the various problems it would cause an Inquisitor, and the overall rarity of Pariahs in the first place (they're much less common than psykers, and much harder to detect).
Promotion to the rank of Inquisitor requires three Inquisitors to stand up in support of that, and when everyone naturally dislikes you, you're much less likely to get that backing.

I recall someone on this forum having a well written example.
An Inquisitor intended to be immune to psychic interrogation, and who gets around his social disadvantages by seldom, if ever, appearing in person - working only via proxy and "appearing" at Conclaves via projected hologram or pict-links. I can't immediately remember whose character it was, but if I remember...

GW's =I= articles

Ynek

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on November 26, 2010, 08:34:19 PM
An Inquisitor intended to be immune to psychic interrogation, and who gets around his social disadvantages by seldom, if ever, appearing in person - working only via proxy and "appearing" at Conclaves via projected hologram or pict-links. I can't immediately remember whose character it was, but if I remember...

Sounds a lot like one of my characters, Inquisitor Lord Nethis, whom I mentioned a while ago a thread about pariah-inquisitors somewhere on this forum.

Nethis doesn't feature in any of my games, due to the fact that he's a rather reclusive individual who operates almost exclusively through his subordinates. He's really more of a plot device in my campaigns, as he usually imparts a mission or a task unto the player(s).

And of course, the reason that his resistance to psychic interrogation is required is due to his heavy involvement with the Ordo Astartes....
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Ynek on December 01, 2010, 11:36:51 AMSounds a lot like one of my characters, Inquisitor Lord Nethis...
That would be it. I thought it might have been your character, but I was due to be eating dinner or something and I completely forgot to try looking it up after I got back.

GW's =I= articles