Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

High Interrogator Vaarn

Started by Rayner, October 19, 2010, 11:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayner

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've had a chance to do any modelling, but yesterday I found a few hours and finished a model I had been working on for a while.

Back

I still need to finish the base and a few small details, but its pretty much ready for painting.

Swarbie

Looks pretty good. Nice, strong pose and smooth greenstuffing. He looks somewhat contemplative. I like it.
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

Myriad

Like this guy.  He's got a real air of auhority about him, and a casual air to his grip on the shotgun.

Do I spy a goatee?
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Alyster Wick

The face reminds of me a Contra-era video game character.  He also looks particularly badass with his shotgun pose.  The hammer also looks great.  Subdued but brutal (how can you not be brutal with a shotgun and a big hammer?).

Shannow

Really like the stance, the first thing that came to my mind was him edging towards a door to peer round, then kick his was through and lay down the lead :P

look forward to seeing paint!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Rayner

Thankyou for all the comments. I haven't made any progress on painting Vaarn (although his base is done...), so here's the first of Vaarn's henchmen.

Pilot Andreas Ward:

Back

Apologies for the low quality photos, hopefully I will catch the sunshine tomorrow and have another try :)

I'm also working on a sniper henchman to add a long range backup for Vaarn.

viper_eX

Looking good, his head seems a little small though, maybe add some hair or a cap?
And what's that left arm, is it an Eversor? could be difficult to paint in a way that it won't look strange. What are your plans here?
++FLESH IS WEAK++

Rayner

The head was me taking another approach with sculpting heads. In the past my sculpting attempts ended up looking too round with limited difference between them. This was because I sculpted on top of a hardened ball of green stuff. This time, I sculpted the whole thing in one sitting whilst working on a piece of wire.

I feel this has produced a far more organic face with more drastic and sharp features.

This may explain why the head is too small for the body. However, I feel solving this problem by just adding hair or a cap will spoil the appearance I wanted this model to have. I might try enlarging the proportions of the head in some way.(looking closely, it appears the forehead and top half is not in scale with the rest of the head)

The left arm is meant to be partly robotic, save part of his hand and arm. I imagine Andreas lost it in some long forgotten fight or engineering mishap. I wanted a "claw" that looked a bit archaic and slightly creepy to match Andreas' demeanor.    

Alyster Wick

I'm liking the pilot.  The left hand looks slightly awkward but I think it's just the angle (I'm assuming he's meant to be accessing the pouch on his side).  It looks to be the left hand from the Thorian, in which case I think it works great as a subtle mechanical bit.

Also, I think the head's proportions are fine.  Considering that most INQ minis are proportioned like comic book characters I'd say there's no problem.  It does look somewhat similar to the face of your other mini, but is different enough not to have them look identical.  You might try just sculpting different heads using various techniques since you obviously have the skill for it (something I lack) until you find ways to expand your repertoire,

Rayner

Update time!

I haven't had any time to take pictures recently due to work and poor lighting when I'm at home, so here's some pictures that I will hopefully be able to replace at the weekend  :)

More characters for Vaarn's enforcer warband first:

A sniper (and the back)

and a shocktrooper (and the back)

I've also converted a hive data runner/thief npc

Back

I'm usually good with character names, having a rough idea of who they are in my head. With these 3 however, I'm drawing a blank right now.

Finally, here is a sneak peek of an upcoming piece of movable terrain

I've only just started this using the downloadable paper templates, but I have a nasty feeling I might have scaled it up wrong. I've included a model in the photo that stands at 54mm tall for scale, if anyone can advise me before I continue I'd greatly appreciate it. (but I now realise the angle that the photo was taken in might make this difficult)

Kaled

QuoteI've only just started this using the downloadable paper templates, but I have a nasty feeling I might have scaled it up wrong.
I simply doubled the measurements - not strictly correct, but it's close enough and has the advantage of simplicity.

It looks like you're using greenstuff to fill gaps - I started doing that for my Valkyrie, but soon realised that the filler used in the join between sections of kitchen worktop was a far easier and quicker solution.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Swarbie

I'm loving the sniper and shock trooper. Awesome work man.
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

Easy E

Nice IST.  He looks like all business. 
^Cheapskate^

Flinty

Very nice - I'm very impressed with your sculpting, the heads are excellent.  The sniper is shaping up very well, and very nicely proportioned shock trooper body armour, I still cant get that right.
Neanderthal and Proud!

RobSkib

Excellent GS work! My particular favourite is the data-runner, I'd love to have a model like that in my collection. What did you use as a base for the legs? I can recognise a few bits in there.. is it mostly scratch built?
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.