Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The Emperor's Finest

Started by Kallidor, August 17, 2009, 04:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kallidor

I posting this up as I've re-done the Eagle. I was never satisfied with the first version as the body always came out to short and wide and my poor attempts at sculpting eagle heads were truly aweful. Anyway, just a few pictures to show how he's coming along.

Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Simeon Blackstar

Damn, man.  That's looking incredible.  Can you come to the GT and run a scanario with him in?  ;D

Just one point - you might need to bulk up the right gauntlet a bit, as it looks a bit scrawny compared to the rest of him.

Heroka Vendile

It's just struck me that his feet seem a bit tall and narrow for a terminator, even considering the heroic proportions on the 28mm versions.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Kallidor

I think it's a perspective thing that makes the gauntlet seem smaller but certainly his hand isn't supposed to be huge.

As for the boots, I loathe Games Workshop's flat-soled melon-feet and went for some more obviously boot shaped boots. He's supposed to be more precisely proportioned than a GW miniature, not heroic at all but when I began the model I just started building him and didn't anywhere near enough measuring (I might even get a micrometer so I can measure everything really precisely in future).

QuoteCan you come to the GT and run a scanario with him in?

Even though I had the rulebook on pre-order when Inquistor was first released the closest I've ever got to a game of Inquisitor is RPs here on the 'Clave. I only build the models for fun  :-[
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Ancelyn

Simply a fantastic creation. I followed the progress of this model on the old 'Clave (before the Dark Adeptus 'effed it up). I look forward to seeing it completed and painted. Hurry up! ;D
To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

William Blake

Kallidor

I hope to get it finished in the next few weeks but it won't be getting painted any time soon. I need some new paints really, I just went through and chucked half away as they'd gone solid but the rest have been packed away so I don't have access to the ones that are left anyway. I'll probably just get a coat of primer on him and then who knows.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Darios

shame about the paint... but a great model! *g* i really like him and i am considering to redo my GK termi with some ideas borrowed from this one...

Kallidor

Quote from: Darios on August 21, 2009, 05:50:09 PM
...with some ideas borrowed from this one...

Thank you, it's always a pleasure to see other people get new ideas from what you've done  ;D
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Kallidor

Well, it's been a long time coming but I'm virtually finished with this chap. I've got some teetch do put in his chapter icon but that's about it really. I went back and dug out my paints not they're much cop, I might have to go and get some ones  :(

Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

RobSkib

Wow! That's truly incredible! I like how you've changed some sublte pieces here and there for style, are you going to add anything to the chest though? He looks kinda naked without purity seals etc hanging off him.

Do you have any scale shots?
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Kallidor

Purity Seals, of course! I've reminded myself about half-a-dozen times now to do some but I keep forgetting  ::)

I think I'm going to leave the chest blank, maybe try some freehand on it. He's got an Aquilla on his leg so he isn't devoid of the compulsory Imperial symbology. I could try and paint an Aquilla (risky, I'm not good at drawing and while I think I might be able to paint it on I haven't tried anything like that yet) or I've seen people do numbers or lines and such and have them faded and chipped and I really want to make the armour look old and bashed about.

In the past I've always converted models but nothing really very much and my paint jobs were usually rushed and [EXCOMMUNICATE]e. It was the ork head that started me off really and I seem to have progressed all of a sudden so, I'm hoping that as this has been an experimental modelling project which I'm quite happy with it'll be a painting project to match and I'll have just improved. I think the secret will be patience and lots of thin coats, very thin coats.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

RobSkib

Well you've got the thin coats bit sorted, have you had a play with the GW foundation paints yet? They're awfully good. Also, are there any plastic gubbinz you could stick to it? I think maybe an amulet hanging around his neck would look good, or some of the odds and ends from the plastic SM kits, holy relics, parchments etc would really finish the job off nicely. I might have some bits kicking around in my bits box if you fancied a trade?
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Kallidor

I haven't used Foundation Paints yet but I've already considering purchasing a set. The offer of trade is most generous but the one good thing about collecting marines for fifteen years is that you end up with loads of bits! I think I might have a scroll from a rhino somewhere, I could glue that to his chest; his right shoulder pad will need some kind of painted decoration too so having that on there wouldn't harm. I've got some nice fine curb chian (used it on my Penal Trooper) which would do for a pendant and I'm sure I've got plenty of skulls or what not to go with it.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Darios

which chapter will he be? for aquilas and chapter icons look out for the plastic drop pod sprues... they have some icons which are chapterspecific and should fit your big one...
one point i have to mention: is it just me or is the head a bit too big? Oo

Kallidor

I'm not too sure what I'll put on the right shoulder but it doesn't have to be anything overly elaborate, hell, some knightly geometric shapes might do if I get stuck. I managed to find my plastic scroll and it'll cover the chest nicely so that's that sorted.

The helmet is bigger than a 28mm helmet yes. However for my terminator I don't see the helmet sitting on the head, it operates independantly of the wearer. I've some old photos to illustrate though.

And scale comparison.

Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!