Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Tau Warband (was: Forgeworld Tau Drones)

Started by Kaled, December 13, 2010, 11:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaled

I've been doing a bit of work on my Tau warband recently. Up until now it has just had one member, the 'Splinter Cell'-style Fire Caste operative but I've finally gotten around to assembling my Water Caste model and have started sculpting an Air Caste pilot.

At the moment I have one drone in the warband, a small spy drone, but I'm thinking of adding more. I quite like the Forgeworld ones - both the technical drones and the heavy gun drones. Which brings me to the point of this ramble - does anyone know how big they are? I couldn't see a size listed on the FW site (but maybe I'm just not looking properly)...

Thanks,
Dave
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Necris

They look to be on stanard flying bases and to be the same size as the base bottom

They are not as big as these beauties

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Tau/TAU-BATTLESUITS-AND-DRONES/TAU-REMORA-DRONE-STEALTH-FIGHTERS.html

but are bigger than the normal drones
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

Kaled

That's what I figured - in that case they should work very well at 54mm and will round out my warband nicely...

RobSkib

Not sure which ones you were talking about, but these are the Technical drones that FW sell. The antennae snapped off both my drones (drat, drat and double drat!) but you get a good idea of how big they're supposed to be. Hope this helps!
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Kaled

Okay, that one's smaller than I'd hoped (given the price!) but nice nonetheless. I didn't get the drone with my Water Caste (and didn't much like it anyway, so am not too disappointed), so need to look at alternatives. I might have a spare plastic one I could convert, but I'm feeling lazy!

Heroka Vendile

considering they're on the small flying base and the comparative size of the burst cannons, I'd estimate the heavy drones to be about 35mm in diameter?
yeah, the technical drones are basically just gun drones with gubbinz stuck underneath.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: Kaled on December 13, 2010, 11:15:00 AM
my Water Caste model and have started sculpting an Air Caste pilot.

caaaast theeeeem!  ;D
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Kaled

The Water Caste is a standard GW model, and the Air Caste, while mostly sculpted, uses a few GW parts - most notably his head. So casting them is not really an option.

Kaled

Evening all,

I've decided to recycle this thread and use it to track my progress building the rest of my Tau warband.  So, today you get to see a work-in-progress shot of my Air Caste pilot.  Obviously there's quite a bit of work still to go - most notably his arms, which I have started but aren't worth showing yet.  There's also some detail to tidy up or add such as a pilot's kneeboard to his left leg and a holster on his right hip.

Hopefully he'll have arms when you see him next.

- Dave

gwrulz

How "big" do we want our drones to be?  I have some tau 40k terrain pieces that were made as "observation posts" but the dome covers on them are almost 70mm across.

Looking a Space Marine Helmet? I may have one!

Kaled

I don't have the 28mm version in front of me, but I'd say that a standard gun drone (as seen in 40k) should be about 45mm in diameter). But I'm happy for drones to come in all sizes, so a heavy gun drone or construction drone (for instance) could easily be 70mm.

Kaled

Time for a quick update...

As you can see, he now has arms, however I'm thinking he's now a touch too broad across the shoulders (which is made to look far worse due to the contrast between the grey and brown).  It's not very clear in the photos, but he also has a holster and knee board.  Also, the detail on his stomach is pretty indistinct in the photo but is a bit better in real life so I think will be fine when painted.

In fact, it's generally not a great photo as his arms look really weird - it's not obvious in the picture, but his right arm is bent at almost 90 degrees at the elbow...

Swarbie

Ah, the vagaries of photography . . .

All the things you mentioned put to one side, he looks pretty good. Looking forward to seeig work on this continue  ;D
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

Alyster Wick

That's a great mostly scratch built tau.  What are the two heads from, I only remember seeing one official GW head but I could totally be wrong.  What did you use as the base for its legs?

Either way, it's shaping up to be a great Tau warband (with a fantastic variety of actual Tau).

Kaled

The water caste model came with three heads - I managed to end up with two the same, which I used on the fire and water caste, and the other has gone on the air caste. The third head, the one I don't have, was wearing a hood.

I sculpted the model over one of the armatures I usually use. I printed out a picture of an air caste at the correct size and used it as reference. The armature needed a bit of work to rid it of it's human proportions, but overall it worked well and saved me quite a bit of time and effort.