Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Eldar Warband - Moving to the trade post...

Started by axiom, December 30, 2010, 12:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

axiom

Hi all, I'm new to the Conclave, a long time 40k player, but new to Inquisitor! My gaming group has decided that our Spring gaming campaign is going to be Inquisitor, with several of us having never played.

I play Eldar in 40k and will be running with an Eldar warband which will be loosely based on the Eldar character rules (albeit with toned down stats to allow me to have a decent sized warband without being overpowering).

I'll initially be running with a few Rangers and a Pirate Prince, but am already planning a variety of figures including a Harlequin.

Anyway, as it's the modelling section, here's my first two WIP Rangers from the Telennar craftworld:

L Haran Lannil, R Auel the Younger:

Haran is simply the bog-standard Ranger model, Auel makes use of his spare bits plus the lovely Legolas model by Andrea.

Here's some more views of Auel:

Auel will be getting a set of shoulder pads plus some other Eldar items to lose the Legolas look! I hope you like them; I've been very much inspired by the models showcased on the forums and am hoping to do some good work of my own :)

Alyster Wick

A nice set of rangers you have so far.  The first is rather stock, but I don't mind as it's probably one of my favorite models.

Also, very inspired conversion with Legolas, the conversion is very organic even before the shoulder pads are on.  There are a lot of fantasy models that end up looking just like medieval warriors carrying machine guns but yours looks great. 

JoelMcKickass

I love the Eldar Ranger model, and have two (my Inquisitor is one). The Legolas model really does look look organic, i'm quite a fan of that conversion.

Adlan

Legolas looks great. I look forward to seeing more. How many models are you aiming for in the end?

axiom

Thanks all! Glad you like. The first Ranger is stock because there are so few decent Elf models around and I wanted to make best use of what is a lovely model.

Quote from: Adlan on December 30, 2010, 07:12:59 AM
Legolas looks great. I look forward to seeing more. How many models are you aiming for in the end?

I have the parts for the first 4, with 3 more figures on order, plus plans for something bigger. I suppose as a warband, I'll limit it to 3-5, but as a modelling project it will be much more :)

Kaled

Quote from: axiom on December 30, 2010, 12:16:56 AM
I play Eldar in 40k and will be running with an Eldar warband which will be loosely based on the Eldar character rules (albeit with toned down stats to allow me to have a decent sized warband without being overpowering).
I'd just keep the stats as they are - otherwise you lose something of the experience of playing an Eldar. Two rangers would make a good sized warband - easily able to take on the 3-4 characters your opponents should be using.  By all means build more so you can swap between characters, but you don't need more.  If you haven't played before, don't make the mistake of using too many characters at once - for a good sized, fast-paced game you want no more than about ten models on the table (including NPCs), with each player having 3-4 at most.

The Legolas conversion is nicely done - he still looks a bit human, so a few jewels, amulets and other Eldar iconography wouldn't go amiss.  What models have you bought/ordered for the other characters?
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

axiom

Quote from: Kaled on December 30, 2010, 02:00:38 PM
Quote from: axiom on December 30, 2010, 12:16:56 AM
I'd just keep the stats as they are - otherwise you lose something of the experience of playing an Eldar. Two rangers would make a good sized warband - easily able to take on the 3-4 characters your opponents should be using.  By all means build more so you can swap between characters, but you don't need more.  If you haven't played before, don't make the mistake of using too many characters at once - for a good sized, fast-paced game you want no more than about ten models on the table (including NPCs), with each player having 3-4 at most.

The Legolas conversion is nicely done - he still looks a bit human, so a few jewels, amulets and other Eldar iconography wouldn't go amiss.  What models have you bought/ordered for the other characters?

Thanks for the advice on the Eldar warband! I've ordered a fair selection of models; an El Viejo Jacobite for my Pirate Prince, an El Viejo Egyptian will become a Harlequin, La Meridian's William Clark is another Ranger, plus I have a selection of bits and pieces to work from.

I've tried to steer away from the 54mm Elves on the market as they're all a bit too fantasy (that said, I'm struggling for heads and am looking into getting a selection sculpted for me!).

Kaled

I'll be interested to see how they come out - I quickly Googled those models and, assuming I found the right ones, they didn't immediately strike me as Eldar.  That said, models can quickly change their feel when you start converting.

As for heads, it might be worth posting on the Arcadian Smugglers Ring.  I don't know where you're located, but you might be able to find someone who has some they're willing to trade (I'm not sure, but I might still have a spare head from Andrea's Ithandir).  I guess you don't have many bits to trade, but you might have something that catches someone's eye...

axiom

Quote from: Kaled on December 30, 2010, 03:16:00 PM
I'll be interested to see how they come out - I quickly Googled those models and, assuming I found the right ones, they didn't immediately strike me as Eldar.  That said, models can quickly change their feel when you start converting.

As for heads, it might be worth posting on the Arcadian Smugglers Ring.  I don't know where you're located, but you might be able to find someone who has some they're willing to trade (I'm not sure, but I might still have a spare head from Andrea's Ithandir).  I guess you don't have many bits to trade, but you might have something that catches someone's eye...

There's a fair amount of converting to do on all of the figures, but I think some selective addition of parts and a suitable paint scheme will do wonders! The Egyptian (for example) is purely in for the pose. I'll need to pretty much sculpt over the figure:

With regard to the Andrea head is it the bare or he helmeted version? I don't have much on offer, but could let you have the bare Eldar Ranger head if that was of any interest. I'll check out the Arcadian Smugglers too - thanks for the link!

Adlan

Quote from: Kaled on December 30, 2010, 02:00:38 PM
I'd just keep the stats as they are - otherwise you lose something of the experience of playing an Eldar. Two rangers would make a good sized warband - easily able to take on the 3-4 characters your opponents should be using.  By all means build more so you can swap between characters, but you don't need more.  If you haven't played before, don't make the mistake of using too many characters at once - for a good sized, fast-paced game you want no more than about ten models on the table (including NPCs), with each player having 3-4

QFT.

I agree whole heartedly with kaled. These models look so promising it'd be a shame to fail them in the rules, when one of the advantages of the game is accurately representing characters. If you are worried about numbers perhaps two rangers (on the low end of elder stats) and a familiar might feel better.

axiom

Some more progress - Ilar now has a pair of shoulder pads plus a few amulets (you can't see them too well in the pic). I'll be starting to paint him over the next couple of evenings seeing as none of my other figures have landed yet!

axiom

So La Meridian's William Clark arived today, and while the sculpt is great, the detailing is lovely and I could do good things with the figure, he's suffering from a case of giganticism! His shoulders are several milimetres above the GW Ranger, his hands are 10-15% larger and his head is 50% larger. Needless to say he looks ridiculous next to the Ranger (which is already a tall =I= model).

A bit of an expensive mistake that one. It seems not all 54mm figures are equal!

Kaled

Yes, 54mm models vary in stature a great deal - even within the GW range some are bigger/smaller than others.  Which I think is a good thing on two counts - firstly, people come in all shapes and sizes so it's good that models do too, and secondly, it makes it easier to use models from other manufacturers without them looking out of place.

Nevertheless, it is annoying when you get a model and find he doesn't fit the plans you have for him.  Guess it means it's time for you to start a new warband!

EDIT: Do you have a link for La Meridian?  I don't think I know that manufacturer...
EDIT2: Just found it - turns out I do recognise some of their miniatures;
http://www.meridianaitalia.com/
I'll add them to the resources list.

precinctomega

I love that Legolas conversion!  Conclavers never cease to amaze me with their skill and imagination.

I wonder if he would look good with a bionic eye a bit like this:

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs50/PRE/i/2009/306/4/8/Eldar_Pirate_by_paranoimiac.jpg

R.

gwrulz

That is sweet!  I need to order a Legalos!
Looking a Space Marine Helmet? I may have one!