Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Human cloning in the Imperium, or Dolly the Stormtrooper.

Started by jakob, January 11, 2011, 05:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakob

At risk of exposing my sci-fi ignorance; what is the difference between VAT-grown and cloned exactly?

The comments posted so far are giving me some ideas for another story I could post. Insane clones, murderous soldiers intent on their extermination, cackling AdMech biologists in the shadows with their hunch-backed mutant helpers...
Medic! MEDIC! . . We need some super-glue over here!

Macabre

I believe that vat-grown specimens are actually gestated direct from two zygotes donors (much in the same way as artificial insemination) and rather than developing inside a female womb, the foetus is grown via mechanical means (see; The Matrix), likewise, new body parts can also be vat-grown through a process probably similar to today's stem-cell technology. Of course this also allows for a degree of genetic manipulation to make such persons/limbs/organs more efficient/bigger/superior to those of natural birth (excluding the margin for naturally occurring mutation of course). Cloning is essentially what it says on the tin, replication of a pre-existing DNA sample. Also, as I recall, cloning is a banned science by edict of the Adeptus Mechanicus (although I cannot remember the source at this time, I believe it may have been from the BL novel Mechanicus). 
++Believe the lie. Trust no one++

coloneltea

The Krieg use one or the other (vat or cloning I'm not sure), perhaps a mixture of the two, as I recall.  With a special dispensation Adeptus Mechanicus of course.