Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

54mm Plastic Russian Elves - A Review (now with converted Eldar)

Started by axiom, January 13, 2011, 10:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

axiom

In the lookout for some models I could use for my Eldar warband, I came across an ebay seller (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/acrobat23/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686) with a range of 54mm plastics (I think some folks have already tried out the Insurgents?).

At £10 for 5 models, I bought myself the Elf box:

As it arrived today (postage from Russia to the UK took 3 weeks, but it has been over Christmas/New Year), I thought I'd share my thoughts. Here's the 5 models:

The models are pretty nicely detailed, and clean hard plastic castings. All 5 models are in roughly the same pose. Modifying for =I= would be tricky with the arms, but not impossible.

For me, the key part of the models was whether they would look OK against the GW Eldar model. And broadly they do, if you want your new Eldar to be squat and ugly! The figures are hunched, but are also shorter-limbed than the Eldar figure. They have bigger feet, but the hands are roughly comparable.

The heads are clearly larger than the Eldar figure, but it's not a total disaster.

I'm pondering uses for them, but if you wanted a cheap set of figures to make up some Eldar characters, these are probably a good budget buy.

Ancelyn

To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

William Blake

Hadriel Caine

@Ancelyn- we've seen the Insurgents done before. I think by Kierkegaard. They do indeed work v well in =][=
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

RobSkib

*ahem*

It doesn't take much conversion at all to make them great 40k mooks. A lasgun here, a chainsword there, presto!
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

axiom

Quote from: RobSkib on January 14, 2011, 12:55:50 PM
*ahem*

Yeah, I think I'd seen your figures before RobSkib - they look very good indeed :)

Ancelyn

Very nice ;D I obviously missed them the first time round :P.
To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

William Blake

RobSkib

Yes they do shape up very nicely into Inquisitor goons, your elves should have no problem being converted to Eldar, albeit a little short! Some shoulder pads, some trinkets, some Eldar weaponry - do you have many pieces of such a nature? I've probably got a couple of bits and pieces lying around that won't ever make it onto an Eldar model, we could do a trade through the Arcadian Smugglers Ring if you wanted?
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Heroka Vendile

I must say the photos attached to the ebay auctions are much better than the ones that were being used a several months ago when this lot first came to the Conclaves attention.

I can actually see some good potential in those elves. If you wanted to increase height easily, you could sculpt a simple inner robe down to below the line of the jackets, then reattach the feet at the required length - not like it's more than 5mm you'd be looking to add anyway
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

precinctomega

I could see those Elves working as Exodite NPCs.

R.

psycho

havin bought 2 boxes of the insurgent models waaay back i thought id dig them out and see what i did with em...only to find a brand new still sealed box hahaha....their going to be converted into my goons for games....the others i used 2 for my Genestealer warband (eisenhorn esque mini as the Magos and the one with the crucifix necklace as a hybrid) another as Killian whom is my dodgy recongragators bounty hunter (he has a mask made of GS in the shape of a skull....too much Army of Two i believe) and a third as my RTs trusty bodyguard.....although i still need two chainswords....hmmmmm

kerby

axiom

OK, so I selected the best of the 5 to have a play with. Although he's short, he's not as short as some of the others, and his face is the best.

I mounted him on a tall Dragonforge base to give him more height, snipped off the bow and replaced it with a shuriken catapult. I snipped away his arrow he was drawing from the quiver and added in a short sword instead. A few other bits and pieces including a bionic eye or lens of some kind, and I'm pretty happy with the results. He at least won't look too out of place :)

Sorry about the dodgy pics - it's a bit dark at the moment to take anything good!

Kaled

Nice work - he definitely looks like an Eldar now. The arrow-into-sword conversion has worked really well.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Heroka Vendile

it's always nice to see how the smallest of alterations can have the best effect
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy