Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Deathwatch: when?

Started by malachi seeleschneider, January 16, 2011, 03:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malachi seeleschneider

Does anyone know when Deathwatch will be coming out? Or if it wil come out at all?
DoB - 896994.M2

MarcoSkoll

FFG released the core Deathwatch rulebook at the end of September 2010.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

malachi seeleschneider

CONFUSED!!!  ??? I looked for about an hour and a half on the internet, couldn't find anything to even suggest that it had come out! WHY, INTERNET, WHY?  :'(
DoB - 896994.M2

MarcoSkoll

I'm a little surprised, but then search engines can be very funny if you give them certain search terms.

I was trying to find a list of things poisonous to humans but not to dogs (yes, that way around) the other day. I couldn't use "quote marks" because that would have made the search term hopelessly specific, and when I didn't use them, it kept rearranging the word order to look for things that were poisonous to dogs.

Anyway, for future, the place to look is usually the publisher's website or, in some cases, a large retailer like Amazon.

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

I've had my copy for a few months now - it's okay, but I didn't think it was anywhere nearly as interesting as Dark Heresy or Rogue Trader.

http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/showproducts.cfm?FullCat=227

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deathwatch-Core-Rulebook-Warhammer-RPG/dp/1589947789/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I'm just reading through Blood of Martyrs and can highly recommend it for anyone interested in creating Ecclesiarchy characters for DH or Inquisitor.

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on January 16, 2011, 03:59:50 PM
I was trying to find a list of things poisonous to humans but not to dogs
Marco, sometimes you worry me...!
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Kaled on January 16, 2011, 04:16:22 PMI've had my copy for a few months now - it's okay, but I didn't think it was anywhere nearly as interesting as Dark Heresy or Rogue Trader.
We discussed the potential problems with a Space Marine RPG when Deathwatch was announced. They're not great candidates for roleplay. Their only real moral dilemma is "What do I kill next, and what with?"

The Deathwatch RP Necris tried to run in the IC section fell a bit flat on its face - despite trying to write my character with a sharp tongue and a strong dislike for impure chapters, that still only made him two dimensional. Argue with his "impure" comrades or blow someone's brains out.

I guess it can work if you and your GM are of the right mindset, but while I'm interested in getting RT at some point and expanding my collection of DH books, DW is unlikely to enter my collection.

QuoteMarco, sometimes you worry me...!
Curiosity only. If you look at what's poisonous to dogs and not to humans - chocolate, grapes, onions, garlic, avocado, caffeine, alcohol, walnuts, turkey skin, and they're usually lactose intolerant too - it's a surprising number of things for an animal we consider similar to humans in diet.

So, me being me, I was wondering about what dogs can eat that we can't. But it's hard information to find. Humans try to keep a minimum of things that are poisonous to them around, and even when they do they don't tend to test them on their dogs.

GW's =I= articles

DapperAnarchist

Raw meat? Its not inherently poisonous for humans, but I have never heard of a dog being more than a bit iffy after eating old meat.

It also might be a consequence of their shocking efficiency. My dad pointed out that the family dog, Hector, lives and active life on the equivalent of one large sandwich a day.

I'm not even that keen on RT, actually - it seems to me that the main drive is "make cash". There is rarely a consequence for fleeing in the face of opposition (unless I've misread things badly). DH, because you're weak and on a mission, forces interesting questions of how you achieve that mission.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Elva

Completely useless point here, but this makes me wish my RPG group had the mentality to play some 40k RPGs. Not that we don't have access to the books or the skills to play it, but sadly their mindset isn't properly in tune with its themes.

I think I'm gonna give it another shot now. My prawn conversion has been frustrating and trying to convince them as well as writing up the beginnings of a campaign(even just for a test) would stop me from loosing my temper and sitting at my hobby table too long. I think if I just keep it to a few of our hard core gamers, then we might stand a chance(plus last time we tried it was a few years back).

Anywho, completely useless point there.
"Nobody expects the Imperial Inquisition!!"

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: DapperAnarchist on January 16, 2011, 05:22:22 PMRaw meat? Its not inherently poisonous for humans, but I have never heard of a dog being more than a bit iffy after eating old meat.
I think that's in part because humans (at least in the western world) don't typically eat raw meat, and thus their immune systems don't develop a resistance to any bacteria that might be found in raw meat.

Anyway, this is not a dog food forum, so pretending we're on some kind of topic...

QuoteI'm not even that keen on RT, actually - it seems to me that the main drive is "make cash".
I was thinking more in terms of it being a wealth of background - unless the VoIP group turns to RT at some point in the future (not improbable, I guess), I'd probably not actually play it much.

I still mean to make a Rogue Trader (who, as I have said, shall be called Hotblack Desiato) and his motley crew at some point, so reading material would not go amiss. Although I think I'll be going for him fancying himself as a swashbuckling hero rather than him just being a greedy moneygrabber.

GW's =I= articles

precinctomega

DH is best for pure roleplaying, I think.  RT is better for crunchy games, in which the players can be encouraged to game the mechanics to maximize their profit factor.  DH is more like an MMO, given the innovative solo and team mode mechanics.

I think there's a lot in all three to be plundered by INQ players.

I'm running a DH campaign over VOIP at the moment, and hoping to start an RT campaign IRL at the back end of next month.  If our DH campaign reaches its ultimate conclusion (no guarantees!) then there might be an option to move on to a DW VOIP campaign after that (depending on what FFG has given us to test).

R.

Heroka Vendile

Quote from: precinctomega on January 18, 2011, 05:24:11 PMIf our DH campaign reaches its ultimate conclusion (no guarantees!)
Of course we may all die long before then as well  ;)

I'll try and ensure I've got Skype running in the background all day tomorrow Robey
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

N01H3r3

Quote from: precinctomega on January 18, 2011, 05:24:11 PM
DH is best for pure roleplaying, I think.  RT is better for crunchy games, in which the players can be encouraged to game the mechanics to maximize their profit factor.  DH is more like an MMO, given the innovative solo and team mode mechanics.
This is very much dependent upon the expectations of the group and the style they're run in. I've been running 40kRP games for nearly five years now (I started playtesting Dark Heresy, in its original incarnation, back in the summer of 2006), and have seen a lot of what they can do, particularly with the additions of various supplements.

My last Dark Heresy campaign was an exercise in terror and escalating conspiracy (tip for all 40kRP GMs: using adversaries that resemble nothing from any other 40k universe game produces a fear in players that comes only from the unknown, while Eldar, Orks, Tyranids, etc are a known quantity to an extent, and thus require you to work with the players' knowledge to get them going). Blood of Martyrs allows a group to easily do an Ecclesiarchy-themed game without ever touching upon the matter of the Inquisition, and I imagine that Book of Judgement and Only War will do the same for campaigns themed around the Adeptus Arbites, criminal organisations, the Imperial Guard.

My Rogue Trader game is a challenging one to run - open-world exploration at times, and high politics at others, veering from piracy to diplomacy as and when the mood takes the group - but extremely rewarding. I've got a lot invested in Rogue Trader, admittedly, having now written for four books in the line (Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, and the forthcoming Battlefleet Koronus and Hostile Acquisitions).

My Deathwatch game, I'm turning into a game of grand strategy and difficult choices - the Kill-Team may be at the front-lines killing their foes, but there's far more to their job than emerging from a Thunderhawk, bolters blazing. Figuring out big-picture target priority, and dealing with the consequences of those choices, are as significant as duelling with Aspect Warriors across a burning cityscape under the light of a dozen moons.

Quote(depending on what FFG has given us to test).
Which, frankly, could be anything - there's a hell of a lot of stuff being worked on in various stages, and the stuff I've seen and heard about (which is only a fraction of it) should be something special.
Contributing Writer for many Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay books, including Black Crusade

Professional Games Designer.

precinctomega

I did, of course, mean that DW is more like an MMO.

Nathan rather proves that point with his point about difficult choices and grand strategy being the core point of interest rather than working on character development and discreet problem-solving.

That's not a bad thing, BTW.  I think FFG has been exceptionally clever with their use of the original Black Industries concept, delivering three clearly-different RP experiences in a single, coherent background setting. Not something many other games can claim to deliver.

R.