Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Hyper-violent Barghesi

Started by Alyster Wick, January 16, 2011, 07:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alyster Wick

If I ever actually learn how to play an instrument I want to start a band called "The Hyper-Violent Barghesi."

Now that I got that out of the way, I've always loved the description of the Barghesi and have wanted to write something up on them for a long time.  I was recently inspired when I saw a 28mm model that someone had done over on Warseer.  They replaced the Sslyth in their Archon's warband with Barghesi and the models looked great (I'll track down a picture at some point).

Taking inspiration from that, I decided to include a piece on the Barghesi in a larger overall project I'm doing, but I decided to throw these rules out here first to get some feedback, largely because there isn't much on the Barghesi out there (aside from their temperament).

That said, the one idea that I seized on is that the Barghesi are similar to the Borg from Star Trek, but much more feral.  With that in mind, below I have a loose stat range I put together for them along with some special abilities.  There is certainly a lot to be filled in and I wanted some feedback. 

For stats I was aiming to create something that ranged from competent to deadly (but not masterful) in close combat, passable shooting skills, incredibly strong and tough as nails, very fast and fearless but not much on conventional wisdom and completely untrustworthy.  Yes, they're rather hard but I think that some of their downfalls make up for their beastliness. 

WS 50-70
BS 40-60
S 80-120
T 60-90
I 60-90
SG 30-50
WP 30-60
NV 70-100
LD 10-30

Intuitive: Technology – Barghei have an instinctual knowledge of technology and can feel it out in a way that humans would consider almost precognizant.  They may reroll (once) failed SG tests having to do with technology.

Hyper-Metabolism – The Barghesi metabolism burns at an astonishing rate. When testing for negative effects of combat drugs or for the effects of poisons they gain a +1 modifier for every full ten points of toughness they have (a T 85 Barghesi gets +8).

Fearsome - see rule book

Hyper-Violent –  If a Barghesi  fails a nerve test or recovers from an injury that would have taken them out of the game they are either subject to frenzy or controlled by the GM (GM discretion).  They will leave this state only once they have passed a leadership test.

Implant Weapons – The Barghesi has a reflexively intelligent anatomy that will grow to interact with technology.  Bone, skin and muscle will grow and mesh with the weapons they carry to form a more perfect combat machine.  In time their hands will fuse with swords and knots of muscle will grow around the wrist to transform their arms into great arching scythes.  Similarly strands of sinew will anchor themselves in trigger mechanism, allowing the Barghesi to fire a weapon with a thought. 
   Barghesi gain +10 to hit with implanted weaponry. 

Barghesi Tendrils – Barghesi often lose full use of their hands after bonding with their weapons.  As a solution to this problem, they will often pierce themselves with cables and wires, over time allowing filaments of micro-muscle to course through them. 
   Barghesi Tendrils count as mechandrites.

Distrust – A Barghesi's allies will generally distrust them (see Dark Magenta, Issue 1). The cause of this distrust is unknown, though it has been suggested that it may have something to do with the Barghesi being hyper-violent.

Myriad

I like this background and rules.  It gives them a really alien feel, as well as setting themselves up as a threat an inquisitor might take notice of.  Nice work.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Swarbie

Yeah, it's a really cool idea. I like the Hyper-Metabolism rule; very interesting and appropriately giving a bonus to ridding themselves of toxins. Maybe give a campaign-level to the rule where the Barghesi has to eat once every four hours (or a longer or shorter time) otherwise its body will begin to feed on the Barghesi's muscle-mass in order to sustain itself?
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

DapperAnarchist

Quote from: Alyster Wick on January 16, 2011, 07:47:12 PM
The cause of this distrust is unknown, though it has been suggested that it may have something to do with the Barghesi being hyper-violent.

This made me giggle...

Had you considered making the hypermetabolism a possible disadvantage as well? Perhaps they require larger doses of combat drugs for them to make any difference, for example?
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Alyster Wick

QuoteYeah, it's a really cool idea. I like the Hyper-Metabolism rule; very interesting and appropriately giving a bonus to ridding themselves of toxins. Maybe give a campaign-level to the rule where the Barghesi has to eat once every four hours (or a longer or shorter time) otherwise its body will begin to feed on the Barghesi's muscle-mass in order to sustain itself?

QuoteHad you considered making the hypermetabolism a possible disadvantage as well? Perhaps they require larger doses of combat drugs for them to make any difference, for example?

Both very good points.  To speak to the combat drugs idea first, originally my thought was to have the effects of the drugs last half as long, since doubling the dose might make it kind of a wash (they get a bonus on their roll but suffer negative modifiers for taking more drugs).  Then my mind began to wander and I realized I might fall into the trap of making very realistic but hopelessly complicated rules (something I suffer from) and decided to leave it as is.

Going back to Swarbie's point though, I really like that idea.  Perhaps a d6 must be rolled before every game.  On a 1 the Barghesi loses 2d10 S, on a 2 they lost d10 S, on a 3-5 nothing happens and on a 6 they gain 2d10 S (based on when they last ingested a grox).  GM could have discretion on this during campaigns but for a general pickup game it works to show just how wildly their strength can vary based on how quickly their metabolism burns energy.

I know that's kind of basic (only affecting S), but for simplicity's sake it works quite well.  What say you, should a more varied table be invented including initiative, sagacity etc to symbolize their loss of focus?  Am I getting carried away again?

EDIT: On the subject of modeling (because it doesn't count if you aren't planning on building it ;) )

I couldn't track down the warseer thread for some reason but I found the models on a different web page.  This is the image of the barghesi that I'm going for: http://huntersofthewarp.forumakers.com/search?search_author=Paz&show_results=posts

I'm using chaos spawn for a torso, killa kan/imperial weapons on the arms, sentinel legs, tyranid mouth and defiler head for the head and necron spinal columns along with LOTS of guitar wire, plasticard (and tubing) and green stuff for some embellishment. This will happen after I move next weekend, as of now everything is packed away.