Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

A Boatload of WIPs

Started by Van Helser, January 21, 2011, 12:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Helser

Feels like I've not properly contributed to the Conclave in a long time.  Real life is stealing away a lot of my time these days, but I haven't been completely inactive on the Inquisitor front - a lot of work has been going on behind the scenes on the Amalathian Sourcebook, and more importantly for the Painting and Modelling forum, I have been sticking some models together.  And when I say some, I really mean quite a few...

However, I have had next to no time to sit down in daylight and photograph any of them over the last few months, but I am not at work today thanks to a back strain, so I've grabbed the camera and pictured this horrible lot.

First up, an as yet unnamed and background-less female Rogue Trader based on the Daemonhuntress model:

Originally, I was going to use this model to make a Sister of Battle, but there are a good few out there so decide to go for some originality.  She's modelling a tomato puree tube cloak and is sporting a combi-bolt/plasma pistol taken from a 40k Sternguard Marine.

Next, a rather rough and ready Missionary character, used to teaching heathens the finer points of the Imperial Creed with his mace:

I've taken the Josef model and made him slightly trimmer around the waist and added a tabard.  The mace comes from Andrea's Luriel Sacred Fist - it was originally a flail, but I didn't feel the flimsy chain would hold up during tabletop action.

Skitarius:

This fellow has taken at least three years to go from concept to completion, and was lying around my desk for a good year and a half without arms and a head.  After sculpting that one last year I finally got something suitable for an augmented hardass and got round to finishing him off.

Astropath:

Rather cut me up to use the arms from my oh-so-rare Water Caste model, but I just love those sleeves.  Really quite happy how he's turned out - I love the irony of a witch in such a saintly pose.

Investigator and his autopistol:

Aiming for a film noir-style detective with this fellow.  He's still only white tacked together, and he'll be losing the topknot and gaining a fedora before he's finished.

And finally, the beginnings of the noble of tainted blood:

This fellow is 100% inspired by the picture with the Tainted Blood Of Malfi Noble Born background package entry for Dark Heresy characters in the Radical's Handbook.  Such a grotesque character - I had to have one on the tabletop!  He's clearly still a long way from completion, but I hope to have him ready for the IGT.

Also, I've still got the Sinister Inquisitor and the Magos Biologis to paint.  Looks like I may have a busy year ahead!

Ruaridh

Kaled

Quote from: Van Helser on January 21, 2011, 12:38:50 PM
He's clearly still a long way from completion, but I hope to have him ready for the IGT.
Care to join Marco and Dapper with this?

Really loving the astropath - he looks great, although his right arm/shoulder seems to be doing something weird...
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Tyrant

I think on the Skitarius, that combination of torso and legs works really well. Almost classic if you get what I mean.
nice Idea with extending the padded jacket.

AKA SquareWave

phil-o-mat

very nice conversions! the rogue trader/demonhuntress is my favorite.

is that black milliput that you used for the sculpted parts?

Van Helser

Dave - I think the arm looks off because the icon is covering everything but the top of the shoulder - the arm's not that skinny in real life! Not sure I'd have the time for the Four Gamers article. I can't really guarantee that I'd be able to get these completed to any sort of deadline. I'd love to have them done for the IGT, but that's kind of up in the air!

Tyrant - I got inspirtion for the extended flak tunic from Ben Counter's description of the techguard in Souldrinker.

Phil-o-mat - that's ProCreate you're looking at. Pretty easy to handle and smooth once set with sandpaper too.

Hadriel Caine

Quote from: Van Helser on January 21, 2011, 12:38:50 PM
Aiming for a film noir-style detective with this fellow.  He's still only white tacked together, and he'll be losing the topknot and gaining a fedora before he's finished.

Wow Ruaridh, I love the sculpting here! Nice to see new stuff from you. If you want some pics of a film noir style detective in a fedora (as well as a shameless plug for my theatre company) look no further than my profile pic or follow this link (and browse the album within!)

http://www.johnalexander.me.uk/Commissions/Theatre/VelvetAvenue/index.html

:D

cheers

Adam
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

biggreengribbly

Ooh! Where did you get the Daemonhuntress' sword from? As it goes I had plans for incorporating a similar such weapon on a conversion on that very same figure...

Van Helser

That's a wonderfully shameless plug Adam, but that is the look I'm going for. Guess you're about to be immortalised in white metal and ProCreate!

That sword's from Kal Jerico I'm afraid to say Mr Gribbly. Pretty hard to get hold of these days, but the Arcadian Smuggler's Ring is always worth a shot.

Ruaridh

axiom

I just love the Astropath! What a great combination of pose, sculpting and bits to make a very special looking model!

The figures as a group look great. Top work!

(BTW, what happened to the rest of poor Mr Tau?)

Hadriel Caine

Quote from: Van Helser on January 21, 2011, 11:24:03 PMGuess you're about to be immortalised in white metal and ProCreate!

This makes me very happy!
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

biggreengribbly

Quote from: Van Helser on January 21, 2011, 11:24:03 PM
That's a wonderfully shameless plug Adam, but that is the look I'm going for. Guess you're about to be immortalised in white metal and ProCreate!

That sword's from Kal Jerico I'm afraid to say Mr Gribbly. Pretty hard to get hold of these days, but the Arcadian Smuggler's Ring is always worth a shot.

Ruaridh

Buggeration... I've seen that figure in the shifting mounds of waste that tend to orbit around my brother and his possessions. Though it would be easier to find a mint-in-box version of Mr Jericho I have no doubts than to find said miniature  :-\

Heroka Vendile

Good stuff Ruaridh. I really should pull my finger out myself and do some more modelling (how many years have I been saying that now?), maybe get one of the warbands I have in pieces actually put together to take to the GT...
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Alyster Wick

I've had Josef's legs sitting around for a while and seeing what you've done with them here is inspiring.  Very characterful set of models here, I'll keep my eyes open for when the painting begins! 

Also, the astropath is fantastic, really great combination of parts.

kierkegaard

Awesome work Van. Now finish something before you start anything else  ;D

BTW, have you made any progress on your Scout?

Van Helser

Ah, that old chestnut - actually getting round to completing projects!  Too many ideas, and more enjoyment building models over painting them!  The scout does now have a head again, and is pretty much finished... apart from painting of course!  One day I'll finish him, one day...