Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

To explore strange new worlds... Or: Expanding my Rogue Trader's warband

Started by Kaled, January 22, 2011, 05:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaled

The axe head is based on an illustration of an Omnissian Axe in one of the Dark Heresy books. I did a few sketches of a cog shaped one, but in the end decided I liked the DH version best.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Kaled

Okay, I know it's been a while but I have been busy and I've got a few updates to show you.

First up is Numbers, the grinning mechanical ship's cat.  He prowls the decks of the ship hunting out vermin and occasionally accompanies Captain Rae on missions - he's in need of a few repairs, but has a vicious bite.  In game terms he's going to be represented using a variation on the cyber-mastiff rules, but slightly temperamental and prone to wandering off.

- Back -

Next is Explorator Zyl Vuric.  I forget who it was who posted pictures of a blue tech-priest, but I always liked the idea so borrowed it for this guy.  It worked out rather well as it fits in with the rest of the warband and gives the impression he's 'gone native' - that his loyalty is now as much to House Hydronus as it is to his masters in the Mechanicus.

- Back -

Finally there's Captain Jessamyn Rae, MIstress of the 'Pride of Hydronus'.  I was feeling rather rusty when it came to painting the Explorator but by the time I got to Rae I was back into the swing of it and I think she turned out rather well.

Anyway, that's it for now - I hope you like them.  My next project is to paint my Tau Water and Air Caste and their three drones.  I also think I need to arrange a few games - after watching you lot play at the IGT and having just finished these models I'm really in the mood to give them a whirl on the table.

- Dave

Myriad

That cat is just too creepy  :).  Zyl's come out looking a bit lopsided, like his mechanical leg isn't quite long enough.  Adds a little bit of grit to the model's feel - bionics can easily come across as too slick and somehow not quite imperial in their look..  Liking the darker colour scheme too, very nice.

Captain Jessalyn looks great, and black cloth can be tricky to paint effectively.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Shannow

Love the cat! Is that from the Alice in wonderland figure I assume? Very characterful bunch who look fantastic
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Hadriel Caine

Quote from: Kaled on April 09, 2011, 12:10:19 PMI think she turned out rather well.

and the award for forum understatement of the year goes to, drumroll please, KALED!

She looks incredible. Great job on the face in particular. Look very real.

I love this group. The cat is brilliant. Glad I looked at the alternative angles. I like your AdMech guy too; I'm so used to them looking like the all have the exact proportions of Delphan Gruss... A welcome change here.

I also want to play soon. Its been far too long.
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

kierkegaard

I had been looking forward to seeing these for quite a while. Now that they have arrived, I think that they have exceeded my expectations. Fantastic. Simply fantastic. As usual...

I love the muted colours - everything looks so natural. The hat and cloak on the Captain and the clothes on the Explorator are particularly excellent.

The modelling and characterful converting are also top notch. I think that the eye that protrudes from the cyber-cat's head, the bionic hand on the Explorator and the Captain's hat are all excellent touches.

Heroka Vendile

I'm still not a fan of the cat. Nice paintjob though.
Captain Rae and the Explorator are fantastic though, the Captain is especially gorgeous, the model came together really well.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Dolnikan

I like the cat, it looks menacing while remaining funny. The tech-priest is something different from what you normally see but he looks good, he looks mysterious and inhuman, like a tech priest should.

And the captain, just wow, her whole feel is great, perfect for someone like her.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Kaled

Glad you all like them.

Quote from: Myriad on April 09, 2011, 12:20:01 PM
Zyl's come out looking a bit lopsided, like his mechanical leg isn't quite long enough.
Yeah, I think that's about right. I thought it gave him a slightly piratical look - sort of a high tech peg-leg.

Quote from: Shannow on April 09, 2011, 12:20:32 PM
Love the cat! Is that from the Alice in wonderland figure I assume?
Yes, it comes from a Tale of War miniature that Gav bought and traded with me. I always wanted a 40k Chesire Cat and this one was just so perfect - he's really sinister looking and I'm glad I decided to have one eye springing out. I wasn't certain about that idea until I painted the eye and it just fit.

ismeno

You must have put a lot of time and love into this warband. Very nice conversions and brilliant paint job.  8)

judge-minos

ahemm  :o, I believe jessamyn is one of the most beautifully painted female character i have seen on this forum.
If I were a GM in a game involving her I would certainly look for the article about feelings in the 40k.

It could go like this " Ok, you failed a Ld roll so all your henchmen fall in love with the enemy captain, if they fail a Wp test they start drooling as well"  ;D ;D ;D ;D

My sincere compliments, I regret not living in England so I could have the chance to play against you.

Oh and by the way that cat needs to get "fixed", spring is coming  ;D

TheNephew

The Explorator's absolutely brilliant.

I'm quite taken aback at how much you've managed to do with what I would've assumed was a very restrictive base, since the cloak requires a stocky build and a fairly square stance.

The cat's creepy as all heck, but I think it's only the great paintjob that ties it into the rest of the warband - it just doesn't look quite mechanical enough to me. Or maybe not ragged enough. A little smooth and cartoony, as the base model obviously is.

The captain was a great spot for a conversion, especially as the whole regal styling of the model lends itself so well to captaincy.
And, as everybody's said, great job with the pistol.

MarcoSkoll

I feel I have to say something in recognition of these, but as with many of your threads, I don't think I've got anything either sufficiently unique (everyone else has already said it) or constructive (my painting skills are teh sux) as to be truly worth ratcheting up my post count by another notch.

But for the sake of being an even more obsessive post-troll (not really): *Insert assorted compliments and praises here.*
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Ynek

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on April 12, 2011, 12:47:15 AM
I feel I have to say something in recognition of these, but as with many of your threads, I don't think I've got anything either sufficiently unique (everyone else has already said it) or constructive (my painting skills are teh sux) as to be truly worth ratcheting up my post count by another notch.

I often find myself in a similar boat. If I can't bring something constructive to a conversation/discussion such as this one, I'll normally just sit in silent admiration.

But since these models are especially nice, I think I'll break my trend.

The paintjob has certainly gone a long way to improve the tech-priest's aesthetic appeal, and the details you've worked into the lenses of his sensor array mechandrite are especially nice. The contrast between the light colours of his collar and various accoutrements, and the dark colours of his clothing is nicely executed, and helps to visually break up the model, and yet bind it together with a nicely cohesive pallate. So, in other words, well done.

However, I think the captain really does win the Charlie-Sheen wincake in this instance. The paintjob on the face is simply superb, and certainly draws attention away from her considerable assets.... Which is a great achievement.

Anyway, the short version is that you've done a great job on these. :D
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."