Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The Lady

Started by Aurelius 12, February 16, 2011, 05:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurelius 12

++Message Begins++

Brother Inquisitors, please find enclosed a selection of transcripts, interviews and recordings which relate to the individual identified as The Lady. As you know, her current status has yet to be decided but I humbly suggest that we keep a close watch on her activites in this sector.
Inquisitor Kallith.

Transcript no. 17
'Interview with Fanatic captured on Gomorrah IV'

I remember when I first set eyes on The Lady. Not that I had any right to of course, I wasn't worthy then and I'm certainly not worthy now, but I'll tell you what I know.

Before The Lady came, before she gave me a purpose, I had a name and a job. I don't remember my name, it wasn't important but I remember my job. I was a farmer with Clan Wernac, tending to the herd to keep the clan fed. One winter I even grew some corn, and at the time I was pretty proud of myself. I may not have been a warrior, or a breeder, but if it weren't for me the clan would have starved to death. It's pretty difficult to raid a caravan or defend the Elders when you haven't eaten for three weeks and you're starting to think that your brother looks like he'd make a passable set of chops. Anyway that's by the by/ You want to know about The Lady.

You see our clan held territories right on the edge of the Great Expanse, we had solid rock beneath our feet, not like the dunesmen who lived out in the shifting sands to the West. We were more civilised, we even traded with the townies in their settlement just beyond the horizon, at least we did when we needed medicines, or something we couldn't get from raiding. Now the reason this is important is that The Lady and her Free Company started out way into the middle of the desert, practically half the world away from us. So it's little surprise we hadn't heard of her until a couple of years back.

We'd heard stories of something brewing in the West, and these stories weren't exactly pleasant. According to the dunesmen, someone had found the Vault, buried deep under the sand. These offworlders opened it without thinking and unleashed all hell upon us. What's that? The Vault? Everyone knows about the Vault boy, it's some mythical treasure trove filled with endless bounties and an infinity of treasures. Only it turns out the place isn't as mythical as we thought.

Where was I? Ah yes, the Vault. Whatever the offworlders found down there pretty much wiped them out, and then when it was done it spread out, devouring the first dunesmen clan it reached, then the second, then the third, on and on it spread like a cancer eating away at the desert. Now like I said, we were on the edge and so all we ever got were rumours, stories, whispers. That was until Clan Radclaw stopped sending skirmishers against us, they stopped fighting us, then they stopped talking to us, then they disappeared altogether. Two weeks later The Lady was at our door.

I won't lie, when we saw her we were pretty afraid. Well, concerned at any rate, but I remember being kinda disappointed. What we saw wasn't some nightmarish beast, or daemon, it was an army of men, of women, children too, all clad in ochre livery. All marching for The Lady.

Her army stood at our gates, waiting. The Lady walked forwards, calmly shrugging off the autofire which our defenders poured down into her, she walked right up to the gate and do you know what she did? She knocked.

The Lady explained that she was Lady Eleanor Veit, Mistress of the Free Company, Commander of the Fallen Sun, rightful ruler of Harakis and that we had been recruited. Well, we just laughed. Karak, the master of our warriors, ordered us to open the door to her, so we did, laughing and jeering as we set to work.

The minute she crossed our boundary Karak was on her, swinging wildly with his axe, but she was fast, turning him aside with ease. After a few minutes though she began to tire. Karak was a huge man, almost seven feet tall and just as wide, and the little dance she was leading him was beginning to piss him off. Eventually he got tired, and with a sharp kick to her groin he sent her sprawling. As he closed in for the kill our cheers and taunts grew louder and louder, echoing round the gateway. Karak raised his axe for the kill and swung at her skull. The Lady looked terrified, frozen like a bird in a snare. She glanced right, looking for a way out, but Karak was too good and adjusted his swing before she had a chance to move. So when she coolly stepped left the brute was thrown off balance. I swear he barely had time to look surprised before she decapitated him.

That wasn't the end of it though. I mean one warrior beating another in a fight wasn't so surprising, but that's when The Lady revealed her true power.

The Elders rose from their tent, assembling before her, their retinue falling in alongside them. Never before had I seen such power in one place. Twenty armed men, brave veterans willing to fight to the death for Clan Wernac. Each clad in the mightiest armour, wielding the weapons which had guarded us for so many generations. The Lady stood before them, her face twisted with a contemptuous sneer, she raised her arm, and pointed.

A great screaming sound filled the air, so loud it could be heard far away in space, there was a blinding flash from the centre of our army, and then, as though a new star had been born in our midst the whole army was consumed in flames. Blown apart in the blink of an eye.

The Lady offered us a choice. Death or Service. All chose to serve. Those Warriors who were left, the brave, the strong, they were clad in her armour and gifted with her weapons. Charged with fighting and dying in her name. The rest of us were shown the truth. That we were weak. That we had no reason to exist. That we did not matter. Those of us that accepted this truth were reborn in her image. I was stripped of all I had been, taught to cast aside all that had happened before her divine revelation to us. Shown how blessed I was to have been redeemed so. Over time I grew to see the truth. I am not Wernac, I am not a Harakian, I am not a man. I am an Instrument, an Instrument of Her Will.
And Her Will shall be done.

Transcript Ends. Awaiting Further Messages...
And the Saint did weep when she saw how lost the people were. Seven tears fell upon Gomorrah. Seven tears to wash away their sin. A deluge of heavenly tears drowned their world in an ocean of forgiveness. The people cleansed in a sea of nuclear fire.

Aurelius 12

++Incoming Message++

My contacts in the Gomorrah System are feeding me what they can. One of my sources managed to acquire a dossier from Gomorrah IV's security forces. It makes for an interesting, if paranoid, read. Attached is the document's introduction and the section on Eleanor's Free Company. I've added my thoughts and annotations throughout.

Gomorrah IV Planetary Senate
Select Committee on Internal Defence and Security
Sub-Committee on New Dawn Insurgency

Inquiry into Organisations Working in Conjunction with the New Dawn Insurgency.

1.0 Introduction.

This paper is an accurate and truthful report on the numerous organisations, cartels and individuals of specific interest (ISIs) believed to be affiliated, or working in conjunction with the New Dawn insurgent movement as of today (2130998.M41.). This is a working document and given the fluid nature of current affairs, the information within is likely to become outdated extremely rapidly. Commanders in the field and political members are advised to check with planetary intelligence forces for daily updates.

[Note: This document was already long out of date by the time I received it. However according to my source the Free Company's status remains unchanged, unlike several other listed parties. Apparently one iteration of the document listed three companies of PDF troops as fighting on the side of the New Dawn. This, I'm told, was a mistake only realised after their mustering yard had been levelled by two weeks of sustained carpet bombing.]

23.0 Free Company, The

23.1 Overview
The Free Company are a mercenary force which has established itself at Veritas Airbase (three days march south of Firamas Hive). Initial reconnaissance indicates that their position is heavily fortified and any attempts to re-take the airbase would require a substantial commitment of resources. Local commanders report that such resources are unavailable at this time due to the Hive Defence Bill enacted two weeks ago, and as such any ruling regarding the Free Company must be made at a higher level.

Without further interaction with the Free Company it is difficult to determine precisely their operational strength however initial reports put their number at around 2,000 combatants plus light armour and logistical support. They are well armed with automatic weapons and energy weapons, satellite imagery suggests that their armour support consists of a dozen armoured fighting vehicles and a large number of light all-terrain vehicles have also been identified. Intelligence believes the Free Company act as a rapid reaction force, capable of long range reconnaissance as well as extended combat operations. In short, the Free Company is possibly the equal to our own local forces. However it is unlikely that they would pose much of a threat to the Imperial Guard, should we choose to deploy them in the Firamas Sector.

One image proved to be of particular interest; it showed what appeared to be a makeshift artillery range on site. The blast craters suggest payloads in use of a similar calibre to our own anti-personnel missile launchers. However, no launchers appear on the image.
[Note: I found this information somewhat unsettling; that an individual could assemble such a private force. However I have been informed that due to near-constant civil disorder and piracy, rulers in the Gomorrah System frequently make use of such private armies.]

23.2 Allegiances and Contact
It is important to note that the Free Company have not engaged our forces, however they successfully engaged and dispersed New Dawn terrorists in and around Veritas Airbase when they seized it. Whether this is an indication of their allegiances is unknown. It is likely that were we to send troops to Veritas they would meet the same level of resistance.

No official contact has been made between the Free Company and the legitimate government of Gomorrah IV. Upon their arrival in the system aboard their vessel the Hopes of Vengeance the Free Company's commanding officer declared that she and her forces would set down at Veritas and establish their base of operations. She indicated that the Company was willing to discuss terms of employment with any who sought an audience. The Senate has chosen not to resort to the employment of mercenaries at this time, as indicated in the Freelance Combatants Bill passed yesterday.

We are unable to determine whether the New Dawn have made an arrangement with the Company, or indeed if their offer was genuine.

[Note: I am in the process of determining the Hopes of Vengeance's history. Having identified the vessel's recognition codes I am investigating further. It is interesting that the Free Company identified themselves as 'for hire' as soon as they entered the system.]

23.3 Leadership
The aforementioned commander is a woman who identified herself as Lady Eleanor. Whether her honorific is self-prescribed or genuine we are unsure. However, a thorough scan of relevant Gomorrahn almanacs indicates that the last Lady Eleanor in this sector died 330 years ago surrounded by her family. Consequently we must conclude that Lady Eleanor is either an alias, or that she is simply not from this System.
[Note: The latter seems likely, regardless of whether the subject is indeed a Lady.]

This being the case, our intelligence has very little information on her. It would seem that, like her Free Company, she is an unknown element, and as such should be treated with a certain level of suspicion.

23.4 Conclusions
Lady Eleanor and her Free Company are currently in possession of Veritas Airbase having taken it from New Dawn insurrectionists. This Airbase has not been identified as a location of significant value and as such no direct confrontation is likely, assuming the situation in the Firimas Sector remains as it stands at present.
[Note: The likelihood of this is dubious at best.]

The Free Company have offered their support to our combat operations for a fee. What this fee is we have no idea, and there is no indication that the mercenary forces haven't made a similar offer to the insurgents. While we have no need of mercenaries at present, this sub-committee believes it would be prudent to bear this offer in mind. The Free Company may be able to offer localised support, in addition to performing long range reconnaissance in the event that our own forces are already engaged. Furthermore, the Free Company clearly possess the logistical systems required to support themselves. As such they can be considered relatively autonomous. This may equally be cause for concern; as they are apparently not associated with the New Dawn, they are not reliant on the insurgent's supply lines or bases of operations.

In conclusion, the Free Company are potentially a useful ally in our current situation, equally however, they may prove to be a well equipped, capable enemy. Either way they could fundamentally alter the balance of power in the Firimas Sector.

[Note: As you can see, there doesn't appear to be much to go on about this mysterious Lady Eleanor. However, something else in the report caught my eye.]

36.0 Instruments of Her Will, The

36.1 Overview

The Instruments of Her Will are a group of suicidal religious fanatics. We have no indication of their numbers, their motives, or their organisation. At the time of writing, eight (8) suicide attacks on Administratum and Arbites buildings have been attributed to this organisation, with a further seventeen (17) possibles. Attacks often share the same profile; the individual enters a public space or government facility, and detonates a suicide vest the minute they are confronted, or when they believe they will do the most damage. These jackets appear to use military-grade explosives and incorporate a dead-man's switch, as was discovered by internal security at the Firimas transportation hub when they identified and attempted to pacify an Instrument.

This cult has members of both genders and all ages. One attack was carried out by an elderly woman, and three have been attributed to young children. The fanaticism and devotion to their attempts at martyrdom is perhaps even more concerning than their bombs. This is a particularly troubling development and one we should most certainly keep an eye on.
++Report Interrupted++

Note: I was most surprised that no connection had been drawn with the Free Company, given the previous transcript, taken by planetary defence forces. After some more research I discovered that the interview with the fanatic ended when a bomb he had swallowed detonated, killing everyone in the room. The recording device was allegedly destroyed. The Sector Commander reported in his AAR that no prisoners had been taken that week. Someone didn't want the planetary government finding out about the connection.

The rest of the section suggests two alternative hypotheses; that the cult is dedicated to a particular local saint, who rose to glory through her self-sacrifice. The second theory is something to do with a pro-government cult, where 'Her' is Usain Prost the current Planetary Governess. Neither of these theories are of interest to me so I have not transcribed them here.

I shall continue to investigate Eleanor Veit and see what I can find. I also have men working on tracing the ship that the Free Company arrived on.

Expect more in the coming days.

If you wish to share your thoughts, you are most welcome to do so. You may, if you see fit, respond to me here, or if you wish to make more esoteric remarks, perhaps forward them to me here.
And the Saint did weep when she saw how lost the people were. Seven tears fell upon Gomorrah. Seven tears to wash away their sin. A deluge of heavenly tears drowned their world in an ocean of forgiveness. The people cleansed in a sea of nuclear fire.

Aurelius 12

++Incoming Message++
Brothers and Sisters.

I have some most promising news about the Hopes of Vengeance. My agents were able to acquire the vessel's recognition codes and registration signature from Gomorrahn traffic control. The name did not match any vessel noted as having traversed the system previously, however the recognition signature matched that of the bulk freighter Lucinda's Folly. A frequent visitor to the system.

Port Authority logs indicate that the Folly left Gomorrah IV several weeks after the uprising began. Filled with refugees, the vessel heading for the newly settled Malamus system. Unless they encountered a particularly powerful warp anomaly, there is no possible way the Folly could have reached Malamus by now, let alone returned to Gomorrah.

At first I believed that the ship's recognition codes had been cloned, copied so that the Free Company's could enter the system relatively unchallenged. If that were the case however, why would they use a different name for the vessel, and more importantly, why would they declare their identity and intention minutes after entering the system?

Operating on the (perhaps misguided) principle that the Hopes of Vengeance is in fact the Lucinda's Folly I had my Navigator draw up a list of systems that the Folly could reach and return from in the allotted time. Amongst the thirty-something he provided, one name in particular stood out. Harakis.

If one assumes for a moment that there was some truth to the relatively lucid ramblings of the Instrument, then a picture starts to form.

One way or another Lady Eleanor seizes power over the native tribes on Harakis. She inducts them into her army forming a large mercenary taskforce, armed with advanced weapons and military grade equipment. For reasons unknown, the Lucinda's Folly sets down on the planet. The vessel is seized by Lady Eleanor and her soldiers. The fate of the refugees onboard is unknown, although given the Lady's alleged power of persuasion, it is not unlikely that several joined her force. Presumably it is from these individuals that she learns of the conflict in the Gomorrah system. She reasons that the destabilised system will provide her with plenty of work, and orders the vessel to return to Gomorrah IV.

At present this is all conjecture, however the evidence attained thus far does suggest a course of action as I have described. There are many questions which remain unanswered, and indeed many more arise thanks to this latest turn of events. The most pressing of these being who exactly is Lady Eleanor? She may possibly be a native to Harakis, or perhaps one of these 'offworlders' mentioned by her fanatical suicide bomber. I have attempted to contact Harakis via astropathic relay, however no response has been received.

I am en-route to Harakis now to see what I can determine for myself. My navigator believes we will arrive within 48 hours, Emperor willing. In the meantime my servants will report directly to this conclave, should they uncover anything of interest.

Kallith Out.
++Message Ends++

Aurelius 12

++Incoming Message++

I have attached the edited highlights of the Administratum's report on Harakis for those who are interested. I do not pretend to be an expert; I had never heard of the place before I began my investigations.

Report Begins.
Planet Name:
Harakis
Star System:  Cortez
Mean Orbital Distance:  0.387 AU
Orbit Time: 0.25 Terra
Solar Day: N/A Tidally Locked
Mass: 0.055 Terra
Surface Area: 7.48x107 Km2 (0.147 Terra)
Gravity: Terra Normal
Magnetic Field: Terra Normal
Satellites: 2
Settled: Yes
Population: 8,500 In Harakis Primary. 4,000+ Elsewhere

Description:
Harakis is comparable to Mercury in size and distance from its parent star Cortez. However the effects of tidal locking are more profound on Harakis to the point where the planet has a permanent 'Near Side' and 'Far Side'. Temperatures on the Near Side frequently reach 650K, for this reason the Near Side is uninhabited. The one major human settlement Harakis Primary is situated 32o East of Meridian Prime.

Rather than being is a state of total darkness, the Far Side experiences periods of 'light' and 'dim' due to the reflectivity of Harakis' two rapidly orbiting moons.

The surface of the Far Side is predominantly desert and rocky badlands. The Great Expanse, a vast sand desert sits between –14o and –90o Longitude. Water is relatively sparse on the planet surface, however geoscans indicate large volumes of water vapour trapped in caverns beneath the surface. These caverns are 'mined' by aquarigs throughout the Far Side, and provide 92% of Harakis Primary's water supply.

Harakis has very little to offer in the way of exports. Its main source of income is the numerous off-world treasure hunters who come to the planet seeking vast riches and untold wealth. The majority never leave, their bodies consumed by the desert sands.

The presence of a Terra normal magnetic field and Terra equivalent gravity is clear evidence that the planet has been terraformed at some point in its history. Attempts at determining how and when this took place have proven unsuccessful, however the complexity of the project, and the current state of Harakis suggests that it was terraformed during the Dark Age of Technology. See History Section for more information.

Points of Interest:
There are several major points of interest on Harakis, the principle two being Harakis Primary and the Great Expanse. However the most interesting features are either deep beneath the crust, or in orbit above the planet.

Harakis Primary is the principle human settlement on the world. With only around 8,500 souls, Harakis Primary is in fact the remnants of a much larger settlement. The modern settlement resembles something of a shanty-town, with many of the buildings either plascrete prefabs or constructed from the wreckage of several space craft. Harakis Primary sits in the shadow of an ancient manufactory, declared unsalvageable by the Adeptus Mechanicus, although they still maintain a small facility in the town. Other facilities include an Ecclesiarchy chapel, a Type-37 prefabricated spaceport, as well as numerous private traders. The local currency is the Harakian Gint, however the majority of traders utilise a bartering system and will readily accept off-world currency. The settlement has relatively limited defences.

The Great Expanse is a vast desert covering almost a quarter of the planet's surface. Regions vary in hospitableness, however the majority of the desert is habitable, if unpleasant. The Expanse is home to numerous tribal societies, known as 'dunesmen' in the local tongue. These tribes are the remnants of attempted settlements, outcasts from Harakis Primary, bands of explorers who took up residence in the waste, and a selection of other undesirables.

Generally speaking, the further into the Expanse, the more backwards the tribe. Those nearest to Harakis Primary and its few outlying villages often trade with the town dwellers. They speak a relatively clear form of the local dialect, and appear familiar with standard Imperial technology, including the use of automatic weapons and electronic communication systems. In comparison, the dunesmen further into the Expanse often appear almost abhuman in nature (although no study has ever confirmed or denied this). Their language (if it can be called that) is indecipherable, and they use only rudimentary equipment. This is likely due to their isolated nature. Regardless of their geographical home, all dunesmen are considered dangerous and should not be approached unarmed.

The mountainous Eastern regions of the Far Side have little to offer, except for a strange geological feature known as the Devil's Alley. The deep ravines and circular craters which fill this large valley have been identified as non-natural, and dated to the mid 30th Millennium. Imperial archaeologists believe the Devil's Alley is the remnants of an Imperial Army weapons testing facility, rumoured to be on the planet.

Perhaps the most interesting element to Harakis is that it possesses a relatively Terra normal atmosphere, magnetic field and gravity. It has been suggested that these are due to massive terraforming work carried out several millennia ago. The principle theory suggests that Harakis' moons have been artificially altered to increase the rotation of the planet's core to enhance the strength of the magnetic shield. It is also believed that the moons are also responsible for the strength of Harakis' gravitational field. At present no attempts are being made to ascertain the veracity of this hypothesis, due to anomalies within Harakis and her moons which mean taking gravimetric and electromagnetic readings almost impossible.
See History Section for more information.

History:
Little is certain about Harakis' history prior to c.M30, when the first Adeptus Mechanicus investigation took place. Many of their records have been lost through the ages, however, a hypothetical timeline has been produced from what data is available.

c.M20- Colonisation of Harakis
Harakis is founded by human settlers and undergoes massive terraforming to make it as habitable as possible. The reason for settlement is unknown, however it may have served purely as an experiment in new terraforming methods.

c.M30- Discovery by Adeptus Mechanicus
At the beginning of M30 the techpriests of Mars discover Harakis and establish a research station to study the planet's unusual nature. It is unclear whether any of the Dark Age settlement still remains.

c.M30- Imperial Army outpost established
Approximately five centuries after the techpreists begin their studies, the Imperial Army establishes an outpost on Harakis. Cooperation between the two groups leads to the foundation of the weapons testing facility at Devil's Alley. Other bases may have been established elsewhere.

c.M31- The Horus Heresy.
All contact is lost with Harakis.

c.M39- The Rediscovery
Harakis is rediscovered by Imperial Prospectors. The ruins of an ancient Mechanicus settlement quickly brings explorators and archeotech hunters to the desert planet. Initially indentured labour is used for much of the construction of Harakis Primary. A wave of settlers flock to the newly founded colony.

980.M40- The Dissatisfaction
The Mechanicus investigations prove disappointing, little can be gleaned from the ruins, and the majority of techpriests leave to pursue other lines of investigation. Many of the city's underclass leave to found new settlements in the Great Expanse. Around this time the first rumours of a 'vault' begin to spread. These rumours state that the Great Expanse holds the key to Harakis; hidden somewhere in the dunes is an ancient installation, filled with technological treasures and information. The veracity of this claim has never been established, it is most likely that the rumour is spread to attract more settlers into the Expanse, and bring more treasure hunters (now the planet's primary source of investment) to Harakis.

034.M41- Stagnation
The Mechanicus agents left behind begin to study the Great Expanse in more detail however, their investigations are frequently driven off by dunesmen The flow of treasure hunters grows dry, and with the Mechanicus unwilling to commit resources to Harakis, there is little possibility of ever uncovering the planet's secrets.

Culture:
The hardships of life on Harakis have weathered the people into a tough, self-sufficient society. That being the case however, the settlement often relies on naïve treasure hunters and offworlders for advanced technology and medical supplies. Consequently Harakians are both shrewd and scheming. When negotiating on Harakis one must bear in mind that the opposite party cares little for you, unless you have a place in their own grand schemes. Harakians often appear friendly and helpful, however this is almost always because they want something from you.

The Dunesmen are a feral and vicious group who seek to take advantage of an unprepared opponent in a more physical sense. Imperial citizens are advised against travelling through the Great Expanse.

Relations:
Despite its problems, Harakis enjoys a good relationship with the rest of the Imperium. Her tithe is more symbolic than practical, given how little the world has to offer. The Imperial chapel in Harakis Primary ensures that citizens remain within the Imperial cult, and several of the dunesmen clans appear to consider themselves servants of the God-Emperor. The Ecclesiarchy, alongside the Ordo Hereticus considered sending representatives to the world in 497.M41 however the need was not considered pressing enough.

Relations between the Adeptus Mechanicus and Harakis are less straightforward. Some magi still firmly believe that Harakis holds many valuable secrets, whilst others appear almost ashamed by their inability to uncover anything of value. Those in charge of the sector appear to treat Harakis as though it were a wayward child; with a combination of disappointment, embarrassment and denial of its very existence. Consequently, collaboration between those magi on the surface and their colleagues is sporadic at best.

Assessment:
Harakis is a backwater world of little significance to the Imperium. While it potentially holds a great deal of information valuable to the Adeptus Mechanicus, their previous attempts at studying the world have proven fruitless. Perhaps in the future more resources may bring to light the secrets of the world, however until then little effort should be spared in protecting and maintaining the world.

Classification: Small. Insignificant.
Report Ends

I shall see how my own opinion compares when I arrive in system. ETA is now less that seventeen hours.

Inquisitor J.P. Kallith
++Message Ends++

Aurelius 12

++Incoming Message++

Harakis is dead.

My astropath is forwarding this message whilst we make preparations for our return to the Carthax sector.

We dropped out of warp about 8AU from the planet, and began our sublight approach. Sensors detected a massive amount of EM interference coming from Harakis, making all communication impossible. As we drew closer we realised the full extent of the problem.

Harakis' moons were holding perfect geostationary orbits over the 90o longitude points. The planet's magnetic field had almost totally collapsed, and the planet core's rotation had almost come to a halt. My Mechanicus advisor explained that Harakis had been exposed to vast amounts of solar radiation, which accounted for the high levels of electromagnetic interference. However, due to the location of Harakis Primary, she believed that there may be survivors on the surface, shielded from the radiation by the planet's mass. Unfortunately, the radiation rendered our scanners useless, and we were unable to make any meaningful conclusions whilst in orbit.

Rather than risk exposure, several remote-viewing servitors were landed on the planet. The readings they brought back were extremely disturbing.

Harakis was drowning in a sea of radiation. Several servitor's dosimeters registered lethal levels of ionising radiation within Harakis Primary less than three hours into the mission. In addition, 3-7.2Sv were present throughout the city. Such levels of radiation could not have been caused by the failure of the magnetic shield alone.

Corpses, of which there were many, were situated mostly around the spaceport. Analysis indicated that over 70% of individuals had died around six months ago from extreme radiation sickness, around 5% died roughly two months after initial exposure. The remaining 25%, mostly concentrated at three mass grave sites just outside the city, had died roughly four months earlier, from a variety of injuries including gunshot wounds and blunt trauma.

The Imperial chapel's infirmary was filled with patients suffering from various states of exposure. Each patient had died from a single gunshot wound to the head. No doubt granted the Emperor's mercy when the apothecaries realised there was nothing they could do to save their charges.

Around 10,000 bodies were identified within the city limits. Far above the Imperial census records. However, there were noted distinctions in the skin colouration and appearance of the victims. It appears that the bodies include those of many dunesmen, tribal savages who perhaps thought Harakis Primary might hold the key to their salvation.

Furthermore, several of the deceased at the spaceport were markedly different; paler and slightly taller in stature. These individuals (including families with young children) did not appear to be residents of Harakis Primary, nor did they look like newly arrived treasure hunters.

Whilst investigating the spaceport, I was able to obtain a copy of the docking registry. It appears my theory was correct; the Folly did make landfall here, the purpose of her visit is still unclear, however she was the last ship to visit, and it seems likely that the unidentified bodies are refugees from Gomorrah IV. The Folly only stayed for two days before departing again, presumably under the command of Eleanor Veit.

In addition to the shipping logs, we were able to access data from the city hall. Much of the information was corrupt; the databanks badly affected by the radiation, however some data was salvaged.

The city rulers were concerned about the growing rumours surrounding an army growing in the west, an army of united dunesmen, commanded by a figure known as 'The Lady'. Their concerns were proved correct when Lady Eleanor arrived at the city walls, demanding shelter and sustenance for her and her soldiers. The Free Company quickly took control of the city, and established themselves around the manufactory. Somehow, they were able to restore it to working condition and began production of armoured vehicles and materiel at an alarming rate.

Shortly afterwards, the planet's moons began to slow down, and eventually cease their rotation. This in turn lead to mass panic and rioting which was quickly put down by Eleanor's troops. The cessation of lunar rotation also resulted in the collapse of the magnetic field, there was a slight increase in melanomas and burns, however the main effect was a severe climate shift, leading to hurricane-like winds. The EM interference from Cortez also lead to a communication blackout across the planet.

After four months of perpetual dawn, a vessel arrived unexpectedly, carrying refugees from a far-off war. Lady Eleanor entered negotiations with the ship's captain and began loading her equipment and supplies on board. Taking a small group of her soldiers she promised she would return to collect the rest. Two weeks after she left, radiation levels across the planet began to soar. The majority of Eleanor's dunesmen, left behind after her departure, split into two camps. Her heavily armed soldiers fell back to the manufactory which they defended even as they were overcome with severe radiation poisoning, whilst her fanatical civilian followers returned to the spaceport, praying for her return.

Clearly she never came back, and within a few weeks, every living thing on the planet was dead from radiation poisoning.

With regards to the radiation source, two hotspots have been identified. The first, with radiation levels peaking around 8.6Sv is the ancient manufactory twelve kilometres from Harakis Primary. The three servitors we sent to investigate were so badly damaged by the radiation that it was difficult to discern exactly what they had found. However, it would appear that the manufactory is in a state of critical overload; its reactors are leaking and venting radioactive matter into the city below. Magos Seventri informed me that any attempts to power down the structure would be fruitless; our servitors lack the strength and finesse to do so, and no mortal could survive in those conditions. Furthermore, there is little point in attempting a shutdown, given that they radioactive material which has been leaked, in combination with the failing magnetosphere renders the planet uninhabitable for the foreseeable future. In addition, it is improbable (he states) that anything could be salvaged from the structure without causing further irreparable damage. Better for a specialist Adeptus Mechanicus force to resolve the issue.

The second hotspot is a location in the Great Expanse, due to limited resources and time, our efforts had concentrated solely on Harakis Primary. However, during a low orbit, we detected a massive concentration of radioactive matter (believed to be sand and dust) coming from the centre of the desert. Solar winds and inclement weather have distributed this material over a great distance, almost a third of the Far Side is radioactive to the point of causing near-instantaneous death, whilst the remainder of the planet is merely inhospitable.

Radiation levels at the hotspot were in excess of 37Sv. At those levels the biological components of our servitors would break down within minutes, whilst all electronics would fail utterly. The target area is masked by huge radioactive sandstorms, and I am unprepared to risk my life, and the life of my crew to investigate. The location has been flagged and included in the report I have forwarded to the Adeptus Mechanicus.

This new development both sickens and intrigues me. There is no way of knowing if Lady Eleanor is responsible for the destruction of Harakis. It is possible, though I believe unlikely, that she has no notion of what has happened to her followers, and genuinely intends to return once her business on Gomorrah IV is concluded.

Further study of the Lucinda's Folly's shipping manifest indicates that the vast majority of refugees came from Firamas Hive. If these refugees now form the bulk of Eleanor's army, that may explain her choice of landing points. It may also account for the vessel's name change.

I have sent a report to the Adeptus Administratum informing them of Harakis' plight. I have also contacted the Adeptus Mechanicus. What they choose to do with the planet is their own business.

I am making my way back to the Carthax sector now. My navigator assures me we shall make good time.

Kallith Out.
++Message Ends++

Aurelius 12

++Incoming Message++
To: Inquisitor Kallith
Subject: Eleanor Veit

Message Begins
My Lord Master,

Emperor be praised for I have been most fortunately blessed. My attempts to infiltrate the Free Company have proven successful and I am now in a position to relay sensitive information to you.

Posing as an ex-Munitorium clerk I have taken up a position working with the Quartermaster, a Golgothan by the name of Nelius Weissturm. A congenial and likeable fellow, he has provided me with a great deal of information pertaining to the Free Company, and its leader Eleanor Veit.

Eleanor founded the Free Company around two decades ago, they provide security and protection for individuals and organisations, and have recently expanded into full-blown military operations. The Company is built from a core of professional soldiers and bodyguards, with ex-criminals and tribal warriors forming the general infantrymen. The vast majority of the Company are inducted labourers and civilians, trained, armed and equipped by the company themselves.

During my time with Nelius I have come to learn much about the history of the Company. While he tends to be somewhat vague and disinclined to discuss recent events, he was more than willing to tell me how the Free Company came into being.

Almost twenty years ago, Veit was chief security officer aboard the megafreighter Pride of Tallus owned by the Tallusian robber-baron and defacto ruler Marco de Capulo. The Pride of Tallus found itself at the heart of a trade war betwixt de Capulo and his arch-rival Simeon Audiotte. This trade war was both bureaucratic and physical, and acts of violence were committed by both sides in an attempt to drive off their opponent. In short, Veit's role was fraught with danger and bloodshed.

At the time in question, the Pride's captain was a man by the name of Thaddeus Slade. A cold and dispassionate fellow, the captain had little interest in his crew and saw them as an annoying necessity for the delivery of his goods. Unsurprisingly, this attitude lead to considerable displeasure amongst his officers, as well as the ratings.

Eleanor was approached by Valentine Corenza, the ship's first officer. He had held a grudge against the captain for a great many years, and believed that the discontent had spread so far through the crew, that were a change of leadership to occur, the act would be met by considerable support.

Eleanor and her security force discussed the proposal, and agreed that were a mutiny to occur, they would side with the crew and help appoint Valentine as the new captain.

Come the fateful day, men loyal to Valentine took up positions throughout the key areas of the ship, and as Eleanor and Valentine made their way to the bridge, her security forces sealed the bulkheads behind them.

The mutiny was swift and brutal. Thaddeus and the handful of officers who remained loyal were cut down before they knew what was happening. Valentine took control, and in a matter of minutes a new course had been laid in. The Pride of Tallus would rendezvous with elements of Audiotte's trade fleet, and Valentine would be officially sworn in as one of Simeon's captains.

As the crew gave cheer at the turn of events, three of Capulo's gunboats hove into view. Rather than giving the order to open fire, or make a break for it, Valentine hailed the vessels. He explained that there had been an attempted mutiny on board, and that captain Thaddeus had been cruelly murdered. Valentine named Eleanor as the instigator, claiming it was her nefarious plan, and that she and her security team were responsible for many atrocities.

Valentine never spoke again, his throat split by Eleanor's sword, which now bore the blood of two bad captains. Moments later, Capulo's gunboats opened fire.

Eleanor and her forces regrouped in the hangar bay, forming a perimeter around one of the heavy landers. As shot after shot slammed into the Pride Capulo's mercenaries began to board. The team held fast, giving ground only when necessary, felling Capulo's cronies and fleeing ratings alike with ferocious blasts from their deck-sweepers. Eventually, unable to hold for much longer, they began to fall back to the lander, dragging their wounded with them. Eleanor remained, holding back the oncoming mass with her sabre and laspistol. She waited until all her men were safe, then made a break for the lander. As she did, a bullet glanced across her cheekbone, shattering the side of her head. Barely conscious and bleeding badly, Eleanor half-walked half-dragged herself up the access ramp. As she did, enemy fire continued to rain around her and into her, yet she refused to die. She crawled onboard and sealed shut the doors, before passing out on the floor.

Like a phoenix rising from the ashes, the lander soared out of the bay as fires swept across the deck. Desperately racing for the safety of the Audiotte fleet, the lander was briefly pursued by Capulo's men, who eventually gave up the chase and returned to the Pride

It appears the Emperor was smiling upon Eleanor Veit that day, for though her injuries were horrific, she would yet live. Simeon Audiotte, delighted with the destruction of the Pride of Tallus, had his private chirurgeons tend to her wounds. Eleanor Veit lost an arm, and an eye. What she gained however, was the support and devotion of her security team. Of the 35 security officers, not one had been killed.

Once Eleanor's injuries had healed, she took her leave of Simeon, leading her men and women as a freelance force, a free company, fighting for the highest bidder. Interested only in their continued survival as a unit.

According to Nelius, this is exactly what the Company have been doing ever since. While his is unwilling to divulge any information on their recent exploits, his account certainly brings a great deal more to light. I trust and hope that you shall not find this report wanting my Lord. I shall endeavour to uncover more information, and relay any such findings at the earliest possible juncture.

I remain, as always, your most humble and obedient servant.

Truth-Seeker Morith
++Message Ends++

Aurelius 12

++Incoming Message++
Subject: Free Company operations.

Message Begins
My Lord Master,

I am writing to inform you of the latest developments on Gomorrah IV. Firstly regarding my personal situation. Yesterday Nelius was struck down with a most cruel fever. The apothecaries are unsure whether he will yet recover and I believe his survival is most unlikely. Telosian Darkblossom is almost untraceable, but I need not have worried; for all their technology and strength, the Free Company is somewhat lacking in terms of medical competence.

Consequently, I have been promoted to chief quartermaster for the duration. The position is not difficult to fulfil, and has granted me new opportunities to observe the workings of the Company. However it has also left me with considerably less free time in which to file these reports. My apologies if communications become somewhat sporadic in the near future.

The conflict between the government and the New Dawn insurgency is spilling out of control; New Dawn forces have redoubled their efforts and attacked many military installations and Administratum buildings. There are rumours that the hives in the north are beginning to capitulate, if not swear allegiance to the New Dawn, along with elements of the Gomorrahn armed forces. Governor Prost has issued an ultimatum, declaring the New Dawn to be enemies of the state, and the Imperium itself. This revolt is turning to rebellion, and soon Gomorrah will be plunged into civil war of the most bloody kind.

This is of great benefit to the Free Company. Three days ago, a representative of the Governor arrived to speak with Eleanor in person. The meeting was brief, but clearly productive. This morning we received a memorandum from Lady Eleanor, stating her intentions, and our new position. I have attached the message here.

Freemen.
The time has come for us to demonstrate our worth. We have been contracted by the Gomorrahn government to form a rapid reaction taskforce, charged with meeting New Dawn separatists head on, and driving them into retreat. We are now the primary force between the terrorists and Firimas Hive.
The Hive must not fall to the New Dawn, this is imperative. No matter what cost, we must ensure that it is our guns, and our blades which are held high above the Hive's walls. We shall have our victory, our vengeance.

Trust in your wargear, Trust in the Emperor and Trust in Me.
Victory shall be ours.

From what I understand, the vengeance reference is for the soldiers who are refugees of the hive. Driven out by the threat of violence. The message itself troubles me somewhat. I am unsure what Eleanor's intentions are, however I fear Firimas Hive may yet fall from the government's grasp.

The majority of Eleanor's forces have been sent north to counter a major New Dawn push in the area. However, I, in my duty as a quartermaster, have been given another assignment.

I have just come from two most interesting meetings. The first was with a group of civilians, refugees from the Hive who arrived with Eleanor. They hold themselves in a most peculiar way; they are quite calm, almost to the point of serenity, yet there is a fire burning within them, a feverous passion and sense of self-belief. They have taken the moniker 'Instruments of Her Will' and have been tasked with a special mission by Eleanor herself.

Whilst they refused to speak of this mission, my job was clear. I was instructed by sergeant-at-arms Garrick Onasis to issue the Instruments with suicide vests and type-13 detonators. I did as he asked and he instructed them in how to operate the devices. If I were asked to speculate, I believe that these civilians are being used to commit acts of assassination and sabotage against the hive they once called their home. An ingenious tactic; using local people for their knowledge and ability to blend in. I must confess however that this revelation did perturb me somewhat.

Having dealt with the Instruments, Garrick walked with me a while. He introduced himself. He was polite, if a little stilted, and gave me a great deal of information I believe to be most useful. Garrick is a member of Eleanor's inner circle, both a commanding officer and a personal bodyguard. He spoke most rudely of the Instruments, describing them as little better than dumb cattle. I questioned him further, asking why he felt so strongly. His answer was most interesting.

Garrick claimed that his love for Lady Eleanor came from reality, he had fought with her on the Pride of Tallus, watched as she made sure all her soldiers were safe before withdrawing. He carried her broken, bloodied form into sickbay. He swore an oath of devotion because she was the truest officer he had ever served. The Instruments, he claimed, had no such devotion. Their zealotry was the result of technological wizardry, of brainwashing and thought implantation.

Garrick spent some time describing how they 'deserved everything they got', how their weakness and unwillingness to fight meant they had to be turned into Instruments. How the process was the only way to overcome their inadequacies.

I questioned him on this indoctrination, asking who had received it, he said it wasn't his area. That he could make the brave and the strong fight for Eleanor, but that the weak could not be persuaded by him. When I asked how he persuaded them he just chuckled.
I am uncertain what to think of Garrick Onasis, he is clearly a strong and capable soldier with little respect for weakness and cowardice. However I would prefer to reserve my judgement until I have witnessed him in combat. Bravado clouds many a man to their own reality.

The Instruments are due to leave this afternoon, not however with the main body of the army. I shall remain here at Veritas and continue my investigation.

I remain, as always, your most humble and obedient servant.

Truth-Seeker Morith
++Message Ends++

Aurelius 12

++Incoming Message++

Brothers and sisters,
Please find attached a copy of the regional defence report posted by the Firamas Hive barely a week after Morith's last transmission. This is the report that was sent to the head of Firamas Security one Gabriel de Souza.

FIRAMAS HIVE ARBITES AND PDF DEFENCE REGIONAL REPORT

Situation Report As At 18.00 hours. There is nothing to report.

Situation Report As At 0600 hours.

Part I
This was the worst attack in four weeks, far surpassing the scale of the attacks last month. Firamas was at hive-wide alert from 1948 to 0003. All groups and 55 local authorities were affected, but the main weight of attack fell on the Arbites ground in Group 13. The main source of delivery was suicide bombers once again. HE's were mixed with ID's and CW's from the beginning of the raid, and although many ID's (some stated to be of a new type – see below)* were detonated, fire raising did not appear to be the first object of the raid. ID's were put out very quickly and only two fires required more than 10 pumps. All were under control by midnight.

Preliminary casualty reports show a total of 1797 killed, 5224 seriously injured and 7100 slightly injured across the hive.

The worst single incident occurred at the Deparis transportation hub where so far 346 dead and 800 plus casualties transfered to medicae facilities have been reported. The hub is testing positive for chemical and biohazards and the entirety of the Deparis local authority has been sealed off. Casualties may rise accordingly in the area to 13,000 plus.

*Croybars Fire Brigades reported what appeared to be a new type of incendiary bomb, which, when exploded, threw up a number of rockets to a height of about 20 feet, the rockets died out before reaching the ground, however they appear to be fitted with a promethium/naptha based warhead.
Svaldstonne wardens report I.D's burning with red glare which were more difficult to extinguish than the usual type. One of these is available for inspection at Svaldstonne Arbites Station.
5 HE were detonated in or near the Administratum headquarters in Sector 9, and one HE exploded at North Lodge at 20:56. Both buildings were leveled. Casualties are believed to be 200 plus.

Part II
20.45 – 20.55 1 HE in motor vehicle Chapel Street, Sington. 14 killed 36 injured.
21.15 2 HE's inside Hornes Arbites House. 34 killed, 100 plus serious, 8 slight. Arbites House is out of action.
21.30 St. Daedalus Station was damaged by two H.E. One bomber was shot by security and fell between Platform 4 and 5. The other detonated her device on Platform 1 concourse. Railway working is further impeded by two ID's detonated in local sidings which exploded at the same time. Rolling Stock and main junction both out of action.
21.30 1 H.E. outside Rulens Street Arbites House. 1 killed 3 injured. Superficial damage to structure.
21.32 Bishopsgate communications exchange damaged by HE and is out of action.
21.37 Chemical Weapon detonation has caused the evacuation of the surgical ward of Guy's Hospital. Casualties as yet unknown.
21.40 – 23.00 21 HE's & 11 ID's and 1 CW around Deparis transportation hub. Area under quarantine. 340 plus confirmed dead. All monorail and railway traffic in Sector 12 is out of action.
22.03 Cloak Lane Arbites Station demolished, 24 killed, 120 injured.
22:30 2 ID's in Café de Riochilde, Veritas Street.  34 killed, approximately 82 seriously injured.
22.58 1 HE Deacon Street. 10 killed. Damage to Ecclesiarchy property.

Part III
The bombers were identified by security cameras, and independent witnesses as local citizens many of whom fled the hived during initial exchanges with New Dawn forces. All bombers successfully detonated their devices. Ages range from 7 to 70 plus. Allegiance of bombers questionable; repeated references to 'Her Will'. It is unlikely that these attacks stem from the New Dawn especially as they have been driven further from the hive by Free Company attacks. Please advise.
Report Ends

The report was forwarded by de Souza, with one major alteration;

Part III
The bombers were identified by security cameras, and independent witnesses as local citizens many of whom were taken captive during initial exchanges with New Dawn forces. All bombers successfully detonated their devices. Ages range from 7 to 70 plus. Allegiance of bombers clear; repeated references to 'New Dawn'. It is likely that these attacks stem from the New Dawn and represent a change in tactics. While the majority of New Dawn forces have been driven further away from the hive by Free Company attacks, it would appear numerous splinter cells have emerged within Firamas itself. Advise detailing Free Company forces to assist in defence of the city.
Report Ends

An interesting development I'm sure you'll agree.

Kallith out.
++Message Ends++

Aurelius 12

++Incoming Message++
Priority Level: Alpha Theta
Source: Unknown

01001001011011100111000101110101011010010111001101101001011101000110111101110010001000000
10010110110000101101100011011000110100101110100011010000010111000001101000010100100110101
11100100100000011011100110000101101101011001010010000001101001011100110010000001000101011
01110011001110110100101110011011001010110010101110010001000000100101101100001011100100110
01010110110000100000010101100110111101101110011011100110010101100111011101010111010000101
10000100000010010010010000001110011011100000110010101100001011010110010000001100110011011
11011100100010000001110100011010000110010100100000010000110110100101110010011000110110110
00110010100100000011011110110011000100000010010010111001001101111011011100010111000100000
01010100011010000110010100100000011101110110111101101101011000010110111000100000011110010
11011110111010100100000011010110110111001101111011101110010000001100001011100110010000001
00010101101100011001010110000101101110011011110111001000100000010101100110010101101001011
10100001000000110100101110011001000000110000100100000011101000111001001100001011010010111
01000110111101110010001000000110000101101110011001000010000001100001001000000110100001100
10101110010011001010111010001101001011000110010111000100000010100110110100001100101001000
00011010010111001100100000011000010010000001101101011101010111001001100100011001010111001
00110010101110010001000000110000101101110011001000010000001100100011001010110001101100101
01101001011101100110010101110010001000000110111101100110001000000110110101100101011011100
01000000111011101101000011011110010000001101000011000010111001100100000011001000110010101
10011001101001011011000110010101100100001000000111010001101000011001010010000001001111011
01101011011100110100101110011011100110110100101100001011010001001001001110011001000000110
11010110111101110011011101000010000001110011011000010110001101110010011001010110010000100
00001110100011001010110110101110000011011000110010101110011001011000010000001110011011101
00011011110110110001100101011011100010000001001000011010010111001100100000011100100110010
10110110001101001011000110111001100100000011000010110111001100100001000000110001101101111
01110010011100100111010101110000011101000110010101100100001000000111010001101000011001010
01000000110001001101100011001010111001101110011011010010110111001100111011100110010000001
10001001100101011100110111010001101111011101110110010101100100001000000111010101110000011
01111011011100010000001101000011001010111001000100000011001100110111101110010001000000110
10000110010101110010001000000110111101110111011011100010000001110111011010010110001101101
01101100101011001000010000001110000011101010111001001110000011011110111001101100101011100
11001011100010000001001001001000000110010001100101011011010110000101101110011001000010000
00111001101101000011001010010000001100010011001010010000001100010011011110111010101101110
01100100001000000110000101101110011001000010000001100100011001010110110001101001011101100
11001010111001001100101011001000010000001110100011011110010000001110101011100110010000001
11001101101111001000000111010001101000011000010111010000100000011010100111010101110011011
10100011010010110001101100101001000000110110101100001011110010010000001100010011001010010
00000110001101100001011100100111001001101001011001010110010000100000011011110111010101110
++Message Ends++

++Outgoing Message++
Source: Inquisitor Kallith's office.

This is an automated response. Please note that all inquiries to Inquisitor Kallith must be written in either High Gothic, or one of the 3672 Low Gothic dialects approved by this office. All other messages will be ignored. Failure to comply will result in severe repercussions.

Thank you for your time.
++Message Ends++

++Incoming Message++

Inquisitor Kallith.
My name is Engiseer Karel Vonnegut, I speak for the Circle of Iron. The woman you know as Eleanor Veit is a traitor and a heretic. She is a murderer and deceiver of men who has defiled the Omnissiah's most sacred temples, stolen His relics and corrupted the blessings bestowed upon her for her own wicked purposes. I demand she be bound and delivered to us so that justice may be carried out.
++Message Ends++

++Outgoing Message++

Friend Vonnegut, I am Acolyte Gideon Raimes, voice-piece of my master Inquisitor Kallith.

I thank you for your request, it has been noted. While the Inquisitor is unable to communicate with you in person I can assure you I speak with all the authority his Seal bestows upon him when I deal with your query, and that my answer is as true as one which passes from his lips.

Firstly you must understand that no-one but the God Emperor himself makes a demand of the Inquisitor. You may humbly request, plead or indeed beg, but you will not demand anything. Your rank, the cult for which you speak, and indeed the organisation from which you hail grant you no such rights. Indeed your attempts to communicate in Binaric have not enamoured you to this office either.

With this in mind however, it is clear that you feel yourself to be in a position to cast judgement upon the character of Eleanor Veit. No doubt you are aware of the Inquisitor's interest in this particular individual. Explain yourself and this situation may yet be resolved amicably.

I await your response.

Gideon Raimes
The office of Inquisitor Kallith.
++Message Ends++

++Incoming Message++

Raimes you are no friend of mine. I will not justify my requests to a mere lackey. It is you who need explain yourself. Your insolence has been noted. I demand to speak to Kallith.
++Message Ends++

++Outgoing Message++

Friend Vonnegut, believe me when I say that this is a path you do not wish to pursue. I have no interest in your petty threats, and I remind you once again that any threat to me is a threat against my Lord and Master. Check yourself Sir. If you wish for Inquisitor Kallith's aid then explain what ails you. If you believe that you have information relevant to Kallith's investigation about Lady Eleanor then it behoves you to disclose it immediately.

Gideon Raimes.
++Message Ends++

++Incoming Message++

Your investigation is a farce. We have been watching from the start. You do not appreciate who you are dealing with. Veit is nothing more than a traitor and a heretic and will burn in eternal damnation for her crimes. The Circle of Iron will deliver Veit and her Free Company to their end.
++Message Ends++

++Outgoing Message++

Enough of your rhetoric. If you have proof that Eleanor Veit is responsible for the destruction of Harakis Prime, and the devastation of Harakis then I demand you submit such proof to the Inquisitor. I shall not ask again.

Gideon Raimes.
++Message Ends++

++Incoming Message++

The current state of Harakis need not concern you or your master. Furthermore that is not the issue of which we speak.
Eleanor and her mercenaries were hired to protect the Circle of Iron, lead by Explorator Zahn, as we conducted an investigation in the Great Expanse. During this employment, Eleanor and her soldiers rebelled. They killed several techpriests and seized valuable Mechanicus property, including unique artefacts and examples of archeotech. They then abandoned us to die. Upon our release, we discovered that, in addition to this disgusting atrocity, Veit had used the stolen technology to reactivate a Mechanicus facility, desecrating it, and torturing the ancient machine spirits which had slept peacefully for so many millennia.

You need not see any proof. That we state this to be true is enough. The Circle of Iron has passed judgement upon Eleanor. All you need do is comply with our ruling.

Until you acquiesce you will not hear from us again.
Vonnegut out.
++Message Ends++

++Outgoing Message++

Friend Vonnegut, these accusations are most serious, and while you and your cult may already have reached a decision, the Inquisitor is not so quick to judge. If your claims are true then this may well serve to convict Eleanor in the Inquisitor's eyes. That decision however, is not one that you can make for us.

If you truly wish for the Inquisitor's assistance then a full investigation must be carried out. I have no record of the Circle of Iron, and while we experience positive relations with the Adeptus Mechanicus, this alone is not enough to convict Eleanor and her soldiers.

If you agree to this then your claims will be studied in full. I can guarantee that the Inquisitor will devote his not-inconsiderable resources to bringing the heretic to justice. If you refuse to submit then your claims will be treated as mere hearsay and will not be acted upon.

I await your response.

Gideon Raimes
The office of Inquisitor Kallith.
++Message Ends++

Aurelius 12

++Incoming Message++
Subject: The Fallen Sun

Most Beloved Lord.

Today I discovered a most interesting facet of information which I now submit to you for review.

The information pertains to Garrick Onasis and The Fallen Sun Lady Eleanor claims to have power over.

Lady Eleanor and a cadre of her staff, including myself, were on our way to observe operations on the Company's Northern front when our convoy came under attack from heavily armed New Dawn forces. In the firefight our vehicle was badly damaged and we were forced to evacuate. We had, so I thought, only small arms, and many of our bodyguards were cut down before they could return fire. The rebels appeared to have captured a mobile anti-aircraft platform which they had turned against us with great effect.

I can confirm that Lady Eleanor was well armed with some form of plasma weapon, however the enemy were well out of range, and our return fire did little to dissuade them. I was surprised to see that Garrick was not alongside his commander, and assumed that he had been killed in the initial attack. I had little time to ponder his fate however, the ongoing barrage focussing my thoughts on saving my own skin.

Lady Eleanor popped out of cover once again, ignoring my cries of warning. Instead of firing her pistol again as I had suspected, she raised her arm and pointed towards the gun emplacement.

Moments later the dull thud of the gun was eclipsed by a shrieking howl. There was a bright flash followed by an explosion. When we looked up again the anti-aircraft platform was little more than a smoking ruin, and our assailants were in retreat.

My shock and surprise must have been clear to see; as we picked ourselves out of the dirt Lady Eleanor saw me and winked, a grin plastered across her face. She turned away, speaking into her voxlink as she did so, and though I could not hear the message, it was clear to me that there was some strange game afoot.

A brief inspection of the wrecked gun emplacement only furthered my suspicions. From the pattern of the wreckage and the blast damage sustained, I determined that the vehicle had been destroyed by an anti-tank high explosive round. The round had punched straight through the vehicle's roof and detonated the magazine.

Later, upon our arrival back at Vertias Airbase, my suspicions were confirmed. Garrick, who it transpired had been travelling three vehicles behind me, requested I inspected a piece of his equipment known as the 'starfall'.

The starfall appeared to be a servo-harness of some kind, as worn by the techpriests of Mars. However, it is of a design I have never encountered before. Instead of the usual servo-arms and repair systems, the harness was fitted with a multi-barrelled missile launcher, and some form of targeting cogitator. The cogitator also revealed that, when in battle, the harness utilises targeting data from either its own sensor array, or an external 'Illuminator'. When I informed Garrick that I knew nothing of the systems installed, he explained he merely needed the harness release system tightening, and that his usual mechanic was indisposed.

My ministrations to the device gave me a great opportunity to study it further. The harness appears to be self-powered, with in-built suspensors and gyroscopic systems to compensate for some of the weight and ungainliness. It is clear that Garrick had not built it from spare parts; this system was a beautiful whole, crafted for the very purpose Garrick had put it to. The data from the harness' cogitator suggest that the design is over ten millennia old, however, in all my years in service I have never encountered a device like it.

That Eleanor should have possession of such unusual technology lends credence to the claims of Engiseer Vonnegut. Furthermore, it may well account for the dunesman's claims of Eleanor bringing down a burning star upon his tribal elders- the launcher is of an ancient, yet standard, Imperial design, and could easily accept many of the warheads used by our glorious Imperial Guard.

I submit this information for your consideration.

Your most faithful and obedient servant.

Truth-Seeker Morith.

++Message Ends++

Aurelius 12

++Incoming Message++
Subject: Firamas Hive

My Lord Kallith.
Lady Eleanor's Free Company have utterly decimated the New Dawn forces in the region. They are in full retreat, scattered like leaves on the wind. This morning Lady Eleanor received confirmation that owing to increased levels of insurrectionist activity within Hive Firamas the Free Company has been ordered to contain and restore control of the hive.

This very hour I managed to acquire communiqués between Lady Eleanor and Gabriel de Souza. As you suspected, de Souza is indeed an affiliate of the Free Company, and has been suppressing the connection between the Instruments and Lady Eleanor.

It is unclear what Eleanor's motives are, or indeed what she intends to do when she reaches the hive, however all Free Company units have been mobilised, including the reserve. With everything committed it's clear that Eleanor is serious.

I must keep this message brief; we are already packing down our equipment and hope to be on the move by nightfall. By the time this message reaches you, the battle for Firamas will have begun.

Emperor be with us.

Truth-Seeker Morith.

++Message Ends++

Aurelius 12

++Incoming Message++
Priority: Dark Magenta

++Error: Message Corrupted++
++Filtration and Decryption Protocols Initiated++
++Message Fragments Restored++
++Message Begins++

My Lord.......tor. Lady El........................... disastrous. We were att.......... could even launch................. De Souza assassina.............. Instruments and the Free Company discovered............ severe nuclear bombardm............ massive casual................. Retreating from................. tas utterly destroyed............Elean............ fleeing Gomor.............. Hopes of Vengeance was shot down before it............... Handful of................. Mission outcome doubtful............. and I are heading for................ Spacep............... second a transp................... wretched place for good.................. nother barrage.......... Emperor Save Us.

++Message Ends++
++Continue Message Defragmentation y/n?++