Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Designing scenarios??

Started by mattausten86, February 20, 2011, 05:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattausten86

How do you go about this(please bear in mind,that this is my first ever scenario ive made)

Im think alon the lines of  a virus bomb has been planted on the planet Alphreon prime,by a terrorist group(not thought of a name yet) claiming to be able to ressurect the emperor,but in doing so the inhabtants must die and agonising death,hence the virus bomb!

This is where the inquisition comes in,to some the idealogy of the terrorist group is pure heresy,while others beleive it may hold some truth!

You have X amount of turns to get to the bomb,you can choose to deactivate the bomb and save the inhabitants from a low,excruitiating death,or you can attempt to activate the bomb(in either case it will take a sagicity test to do either),Along with your primary mission,you must attempt to stop any others getting close to the bomb,as they could be trying to foil your plan...............or worse!!!!

Im not sure how many turns would be reasonable???

cheers
matt

MarcoSkoll

I assume one of those "deactivate the bombs" (presumably the second) is meant to be an "activate".

Anyway, the number of turns depends entirely on table size, players, luck, etc. There are so many variables that this is the kind of time when you don't have a defined number of turns and just tell the players "you'd better hurry" and keep scribbling illegible notes every now and again if you think they're not trying hard enough.

I have a habit of keeping all my scenario notes in code. Sometimes they're genuine notes, sometimes I'm making them up on the spot, but the players don't know which.
The line: "How long was I supposed to be giving you... er, um... oh, here it is. Oh dear, I should have picked a bigger number. Well, too late to change it now." works wonders while you're poring over a page of mysterious symbols.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

RobSkib

Ah! Bomb mission! My favourite!

Anyone who has been unfortunate enough to have been GM'd by me has, at one point, suffered my LOLBOMB scenario. This is usually a three-way scenario, depending on numbers of players. It follows a very similar layout to yours, but for starter scenarios I like to add an extra twist - feel free to use/abuse this idea as much or little as you like.

Under the pretense of a virus-bomb, players will race to activate/deactivate it. Meanwhile (akin to marco's cryptic notewriting) every turn that passes/actions spent arming the bomb, make some tally marks on your GM notes. It doesn't matter what they represent, that's for your players to work out. When you reach a suitable number, tell your players in a booming voice ONE MINUTE TIL DETONATION.

It's widely accepted that a turn in Inquisitor is about 10 seconds, so a minute til detonation is about 6 turns - adding or subtracting a few for dramatic effect. Whatever the outcome, I always make the bomb explode, but the 'bomb' turns out to be an ancient piece of archeotech that opens a portal to the warp and begins to attract all manner of daemonic entities to come crawling out! It not becomes a race against time to seal the rift and stop the cursed warp denizens spewing into the real world.

It turns the whole scenario on it's head, takes the players by complete surprise and will stretch the character's abilities to their limits!
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

GAZKUL

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on February 20, 2011, 05:55:12 PM

I have a habit of keeping all my scenario notes in code. Sometimes they're genuine notes, sometimes I'm making them up on the spot, but the players don't know which.
The line: "How long was I supposed to be giving you... er, um... oh, here it is. Oh dear, I should have picked a bigger number. Well, too late to change it now." works wonders while you're poring over a page of mysterious symbols.

"You do not need to prove that you exist because soon you won't"