Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The continuing development of Inquisitor Thaddeus's warband.

Started by Ynek, February 27, 2011, 12:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inquisitor Goldeneye

When you said purpose-bred pest-control I was expecting something like a ratling (especially since he spends most of his time wedged into tiny spaces), or else someone freakishly thin and flexable.

Mind you though, bearing in mind the kind of vermin one might find onboard a 40K starship, I suppose little short of a heavily armed commando team would cut it!

Also, as regards your tech-preistess's wonky funbags; it may interest you to know that only 1 in around 500 pairs are perfectly symmetrical naturally (or at least, that's what I read in the 'women's health' section of the paper once).
'A truth that's told with bad intent beats all the lies you can invent.' -  William Wordsworth.

Ynek

Quote from: Inquisitor Goldeneye on March 15, 2011, 05:05:34 PM
When you said purpose-bred pest-control I was expecting something like a ratling (especially since he spends most of his time wedged into tiny spaces), or else someone freakishly thin and flexable.
Due to their interest in purpose-breeding and selective reproduction, the Cult has become a little bit like Lord Voldemort in the sense that they place rather a high importance on the 'purity' of 'blood'. This belief is thought to stem from the fact that in order for selective breeding to be successful, they must reproductively isolate populations so that only those with the desired traits pass on their genes, and they don't simply breed with others who would dilute their isolated genepool with unwanted genetic 'garbage'. Over time, this has led to a certain level of snobbery in the upper echelons regarding 'blood status'.

When the Imperium rediscovered the Levitus Subsector during the re-colonisation of Cadia in M32, (And their subsequent rediscovery of the Levitus 'Gulf Stream'*) the Cult of the Sacred Barrier would have already been breeding their own pest-control workers for some time, and would probably have managed to achieve some success in this. If Ratlings became available for taking over such duties, the Cult probably wouldn't be willing to use them, due to the perceived impurity of abhuman blood, and also the fact that they already had perfectly good pest controllers, and probably wouldn't want to go replacing them with Ratlings just because they were even smaller. (For the really tiny places, there's always microdendrites (nonorganic remote-control servo-skull substitutes)
Apologies for spilling a huge block of text all over you, but that's basically the justification as to why I went with a human over a Ratling.

Quote from: Inquisitor Goldeneye on March 15, 2011, 05:05:34 PM
Also, as regards your tech-preistess's wonky funbags; it may interest you to know that only 1 in around 500 pairs are perfectly symmetrical naturally (or at least, that's what I read in the 'women's health' section of the paper once).
Meh, I went ahead and fixed hers anyway. I did the right boob in two stages because her right arm made blending it into the shoulder and torso difficult, resulting in an unsightly seam. I just corrected the boob a bit when I went in to fill the gap.

Anyway, moving on, I thought I might as well share the latest on the project with you folks...

This first picture shows the 'generic' construct - essentially an armature with a little bit of muscletone, boobs, and an arm on it - being loaded for making a mould. I thought that by incorporating the model's base, I could limit the problems with bubbles in the mould, and also reduce the number of bases I would need to order off of eBay for every armature I made.

This second picture just shows the resulting mould. Essentially, it folds along the bottom bit to close the mould like a hinge. I could cut this all the way through to create a more 'two part' mould, but I find that leaving one side as a hinge usually reduces the chances of the mould leaking. Who cares if it's unproffessional and unorthodox if it works? (In case anyone cares - to do this, you just neglect to put release agent on one edge of the mould, and voila... hinge joint!)

This picture shows Victoria as she stands right now. The beginnings of her dress have been put on. (Ignore the uneven bottom of the skirt. That's just an anchor for me to sculpt a lacy hem onto once it sets) I've also started on her backpack, and added the cables which feed her plasma energy blade. Additionally, I snapped her arms off and put them aside for reattachment later. They would only cause problems and get in the way at this stage.

This final picture shows a close-up on some of the progress on the weapon. The little Imperial Eagle and cog came out quite well, I think....

* = The Levitus Gulf Stream is a highly stable warp-channel running all the way from the Segmentum Obscurus to a star cluster beyond the fringes of the Ultima Segmentum, at the very tip of the Centaurus Arm. The channel runs in a single direction, and allows extremely safe transport from Cadia to Gellar's World in approximately two week's travel by a reasonably competent navigator. However, as the Levitus Gulf Stream flows in only a single direction, returning to the Imperium from the Levitus Subsector can take years, even with the most skilled of navigators. The Gulf Stream is a subject of intense interest and debate by the Ordo Obscurus, who have deduced that the stream originates from the "Omega World", a mysterious, featureless black planet which the Imperium has tried many times to investigate, invade, or colonise, but never with success. Local Folklore has many stories about the Omega World, some saying that it is the resting place of a God, and others saying that it's a great daemon, but whether any of the stories have any grounding in truth is fiercely debated.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

kierkegaard

This is coming along nicely (the robes in particular.)

I would take a fine scalpel and cut a sliver off of the bottom of the lower lip, and file the whole mouth down a bit if I were you. I think that as it is, you run the risk of it looking a bit cartoon-ish when you paint it.

judge-minos

keep it coming, i always wanted to try this kind of mold so I am very curious.

love the blade

Ynek

Quote from: kierkegaard on March 16, 2011, 11:47:54 PM
I would take a fine scalpel and cut a sliver off of the bottom of the lower lip

I'm just a little bit paranoid that if I try something like that, the whole lip would just come off on my knife... Green stuff seems to have a bit of a bad habit of doing that.

Additionally, here's an update on the progress of the sculpt:

in the end, I've opted for the "boob window" design, simply because I had some little fiddly bits at either side of her neck that I needed to cover up, and having the open-topped dress would probably have left those parts visible.

And here's what comes out of my mould. The casting quality isn't terrible. A little bit of flash here and there, but it seems to have worked just fine. I think I might try to make some female zombies or civilians with these castings or something. ^_^
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Ynek

Minor update - Basically just added the cog teeth to the hem of her skirt and finished off the hood.

The cog pattern around her skirt was originally intended to resemble a single, circular cog wrapped around her legs, but it seems to have become a bit more oblong... Not necessarily a big problem, but bleh.

I'm thinking that I might make another mould of her soon, before I put the Imperial Eagle onto her corset. (Since that eagle is under GW's copyright/IP, and I wouldn't really be able to cast it legally... Thankfully, cogs are a simple enough symbol that I doubt they'd get away with trying to copyright them. ^_^)

Heroka Vendile

that's some really crisp green stuff work there, she's coming along great  :)
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Hadriel Caine

Looks great Ynek! I would agree with the idea of casting her before adding GW owned IP. The back pack looks like it's going to be superb. I like the finalised design for the bodice too. It looks less revealing on the mini than in the concept images. Its funny how that cna be true in the translation from 2D to 3D art, I think.
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

precinctomega

Really nice looking stuff!  You should fix that lip, though.  Just cut it off and do it again.

R.

kierkegaard

That green stuff is so smoothly sculpted (the backpack in particular.) Excellent work.

Ynek

I think it's time to reveal the little 'secret' (although some of the more astute amongst you may have already figured it out by now) that I've been working into this miniature.

When I started sculpting Victoria, I knew that in order to 'sell' the fact that the energy blade was actually glowing, I would need to do something special. After a little deliberation, I decided that the best option available to me was to install a series of small LEDs inside the model at various points to make the 'glowy bits' (such as the lenses of her goggles and the 'blade' of the energy weapon) emit yellow light.

The reason that I'm explaining this now is that I've attached the energy blade to her arms, now... And it's not exactly easy to hide or explain away the presence of a pair of LEDs on the energy blade. :P

Anyway, here's the latest on her development...

And here's what the various bits look like when they're lit up.... I'm just trying to find something suitable for connecting the two LEDs in the energy blade, now...

MarcoSkoll

Ooh, pretty.

I've been going slightly bonkers with LEDs lately too. I hope you've got a current limiting resistor, otherwise you risk them burning out, and then it'll be a pig to replace them.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Ynek

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on March 23, 2011, 08:49:15 PM
I hope you've got a current limiting resistor, otherwise you risk them burning out, and then it'll be a pig to replace them.

Of course. Ohms law is the LED's friend. :P

I normally use 3 volt LEDs, purely because 3 volts is the total charge of two normal household batteries linked up in series. However, for some reason, my normal LED supplier only supplies yellow LEDs in 2.6 volts, so I had to get a very weak resistor to balance things out. Not a huge problem, though.

I just thought that having the light-up function would be a good way of showing when the blade is active and when it isn't... (Naturally, there would be a strong awareness modifier for spotting or hearing her when the blade is active. Not to mention fuel consumption.)

Shannow

Super Duper Cool. As if I wasn't jealous of your sculpting ability enough!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Ynek on March 23, 2011, 09:11:21 PM...two normal household batteries linked up in series...
On that note... where have you hidden them?
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles