Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The continuing development of Inquisitor Thaddeus's warband.

Started by Ynek, February 27, 2011, 12:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil-o-mat

that´s amazing!
will you use a clear plastic rod for connecting the LED`s or something different?

one of my friends did something similiar, but he used a tiny strap he cut out of an overhead transparency, then wrapped it around the LED and added a layer of clear sticky tape. the result was a really cool lightsaber for his heman-action figure.
but don`t ask for pics, he did that 17 years ago.

phil

kierkegaard

BANG!

(That is the sound of the bar being raised.)

Very cool. Very cool indeed.

DapperAnarchist

I thought the bar would make a woosh noise...

And this is amazing. I feel... deficient. Where could I add some lights...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

MarcoSkoll

S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

DapperAnarchist

Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Ynek

Thanks everyone for your positive comments and support. I'm glad that my attempts at originality have received a positive reception. ^_^

Just to keep everyone posted on the current status of the project - the arms have now been finished (sleeves added), and the body is currently chilling out in a block of silicone rubber which is in the process of curing. In around six to ten hours, I'll have a mould for creating Victoria's body and head.

Although her current pair of arms are unsuitable for casting (for more reasons than I care to list) I may create a second, castable pair of arms for her, and then I would be able to create as many "cog monks" as I want to.

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on March 23, 2011, 09:41:41 PM
On that note... where have you hidden them?

They're not fitted into the actual model just yet (and they won't be until I'm finished with casting), but they'll be hidden under her skirt. I've already hollowed the area out (in fact, it was mostly hollow anyway, thanks to the way I tend to sculpt skirts and robes) and it will quite comfortably accept the LR41 (small. Normally used for watches and hearing aids) household batteries that I have lying around. :)

Quote from: phil-o-mat on March 23, 2011, 10:05:42 PM
that´s amazing!
will you use a clear plastic rod for connecting the LED`s or something different?
The current ideas that are running around in my head are either a thick strand of hot glue, or a piece of leftover resin from my casting. My casts use a cloudy, translucent resin which (upon testing) seems to work quite well at carrying and distributing the light along the 'blade'.

Admittedly, neither method works quite as well as I'd like, but they both get the idea across... Perhaps if I do another project similar to this in the future, I'll use more powerful LEDs.

"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Ynek

Just dropping in the latest pics before I disappear off to bed.

"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

MarcoSkoll

Very pretty. The skin does look a little on the pale side (in my opinion), but then it all looks a bit desaturated, so it may be the camera's fault.

Also, 'cos it hasn't been said for a while: TITS!

Quote from: Ynek on March 30, 2011, 12:50:47 AMPerhaps if I do another project similar to this in the future, I'll use more powerful LEDs.
The LEDs I mentioned earlier are High Brightness ones bought with the reasoning: "Well, if I take this to an event, the lights'll need to be fairly bright to be seen under WHW lighting".

My immediate response after testing them was rather closer to: "ARGH! MY RETINAS! I NEEDED THOSE TO SEE!"
Given I bought some of the exact same variety a couple of years back for making an LED torch - to which I had almost exactly the same reaction - I really should have known better.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Hadriel Caine

Wow. I have computer issues for a week and you do this? good work! Final composition is great and I'm at a loss for words as to how cool the LEDs are.
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Flinty

I have no choice but to join the throng of adulation - excellent stuff. Whatever sound the bar makes as its being raised, I'm pretty sure we all heard it...   
Neanderthal and Proud!

dirkthe1

Out of interest, where exactly can the bar actually go to?!

Mighty interesting to see the full process on this. Very Nice

Hadriel Caine

Quote from: dirkthe1 on April 01, 2011, 11:51:59 AM
Out of interest, where exactly can the bar actually go to?!

When the miniatures strap you down and interrogate you about your heretical ways then you know the bar has been raised too far. This is getting damn close though I'll admit.
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Ynek

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on April 01, 2011, 04:17:09 AM
The skin does look a little on the pale side (in my opinion),

This is entirely intentional. Her skin is painted with bubonic brown fading up to rotting flesh. At first, the idea of a lighter fleshtone was another subtle nod to the period clothing which inspired her current appearance. Back in the 'old days', women in the Western World would apply arsenic and lead to their skin in order to make their skintone paler. (With the ultimate aim being skin the colour of a milk bottle. It's odd how nowadays, darker, tanned skin is considered more attractive.)

However, the background behind Victoria's lighter complexion is nothing to do with makeup. Her pale, almost necrotic fleshtone is a side effect of the Sacred Barrier's rejuvination techniques, which are famous throughout the entire segmentum as being some of the best. (Which is also one of their bargaining chips for resisting being assimilated into the orthodox admech. But that's a long story. :P) It is rumoured that their techniques can have an individual live for in excess of 4 centuries, with no side effects other than total hair loss and a fading of bodily pigments. Other techniques can leave an individual weakened, gaunt and dependent upon machines to survive, which makes the Sacred Barrier's rejuvination treatments highly sought after and envied. One downside of the Sacred Barrier's methods is that over time, an indivual gets more and more dependent upon the treatment, and requires more and more frequent treatment to remain young. The scale is logarithmic, and eventually leads to an indivual having to remain on the forgeworld of Ferrum permenantly.

Some of the more optimistic Adeptus Mechanicus believe that if the mysteries behind the Sacred Barrier's methods were unveiled, it could lead to new methods of rejuvination which could sustain a human body indefinitely. (Thus leading to lots of attempts to steal/study it, which is a good opening for Inquisitor games.)

I seem to have gotten a little sidetracked there, but the main point I was making was that her pale, almost 'dead body found in a river' fleshtone is entirely deliberate. However, I'm not totally happy with the way it came out. I might paint over it with a very pale purple, to reinforce the strangeness of it, and to help it to stand out from the white 'cog-tooth' hemming of her clothing a bit better.

In other news - When I tested the circuit concealed in the base, her eyes failed to light up. I think that when I made the mould, I might have accidentally bent the model, and broken some of the soldering and wiring that ran down the inside of her body. This is a teeny bit of a problem, but I do have a backup plan which, although fiddlier than a Scottish Violinist's convention, will still give the desired result. (And might even solve some other issues I might run into later...)

Essentially, rather than the circuitry running up the inside of the model, it'll run around the outside. This doesn't mean that the model will look any different when it's done (as I'm really just rerouting the power feed for the weapon a bit to bring the batteries and resistor back into the fold,) but it's still an inconvenience.

Meh, lessons learned.... moving on!

(EDIT//)
I'm beginning to think that robots might play an important part in the Sacred Barrier's practices. They don't use servitors, and there's certain things that menial workers wouldn't be able to manage, such as making certain movements with exact precision (such abilities might be required for an indivual responsible for moving control rods in and out of a nuclear reactor... Or something similarly sensitive.)

So, maybe Victoria will get a robotic companion or bodyguard. Also, it gives me an excuse to start playing around with some robot rules.... And an excuse to make a robot (With lots of lights in it, perhaps...).

Heroka Vendile

It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Ynek

Quote from: Heroka Vendile on April 01, 2011, 09:00:40 PM
lookin great so far ynek  :)

Cheers man!

as a small update... I spent an hour or so this evening preparing and filling the Victoria Murae mold. So, here's hoping that it produces a nice, clean casting with minimal bubble problems. (Although with some parts such as the head, boobs and backpack, I think there could be some issues. Ah well, we'll find out what's what tomorrow.)

(EDIT//: ) Cracked the mould open this morning. From what I'm seeing in the cast model, the quality of the mould is okay, but it may have been a little cold last night for casting. (Hence the slightly 'crystaline' texture that has manifested on certain bits.)

There are no significant bubbles in the casting, aside from on the base, but that's easily fixed. (And I tend to use the base as a bubble-sink anyway...

Also, I finished up the Imperial Eagle on her corset this morning. It's not quite as it appears in the concept image, but it's close enough.