Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The continuing development of Inquisitor Thaddeus's warband.

Started by Ynek, February 27, 2011, 12:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulgavitch

Best sculpt evar!

No seriously, I love it when character is decided before the model is built. That way you can indicate what she is like from the unique details. I think you've done really well with this, and should be proud.

It makes my attempts at a full sculpt look like a five year old plasticine!

Ynek

Quote from: Ulgavitch on April 12, 2011, 12:43:15 PM
It makes my attempts at a full sculpt look like a five year old plasticine!
Don't be too hard on yourself. Practice makes perfect. Especially on a place like the Conclave, which is a very positive learning environment.

Quote from: Inquisitor Goldeneye on April 10, 2011, 07:23:00 PM
Oh, I don't know; as an agent of the Inquisiton she may find it beneficial for no-one to ever remember what her face looks like...

I can imagine that situation now....

"Can you describe what your attacker looked like?"
"Uh... Big, and uh, round. Double Ds, I think."
"Ooookay, can you remember anything else?"
"Uhm... I remember reaching out for them, then a yellow light and waking up two hours later with my arms missing... But other than that? Nothing."

And cue a bunch of wanted posters with an artist's impression of her bust appearing outside the local Arbites precinct.... And a bunch of Imperial schoolboys standing, wide-eyed, staring at them....

Quote from: judge-minos on April 11, 2011, 08:04:34 PM
(working flame thrower anyone??)

Heh. Don't tempt me.... I'd probably end up burning the house to ashes. And then where would I keep all my models? :P

Although, a flamer where the pilot light is a little blob of glue with LED light shining through is a very real possibility.

Quote from: kierkegaard on April 12, 2011, 08:24:15 AM
I am not convinced by the slutty dress...

Try saying that to her face. I double dare you. :P

Quote from: Simeon Blackstar on April 11, 2011, 09:03:08 PM
I'm going to have to think of some way to incorporate lighting effects into some of my models.

Although fiddly, and sometimes a bit trying on one's patience (such as getting to the last hurdle of making the miniature, only for one of the LEDs to burn out.... Not that I'd know anything about that happening....) I can heartily recommend it. Once you get your head around Ohm's law, the hardest part of it is already done. Just be ready for soldering burns as well as the normal cuts and slices involved with regular P+M. ;)

Anyway, onward with more piccies:

This is the battery slot in the base of the miniature. Batteries are held in place in between her shins with one of my special 'slice of tubing' battery holders. (Basically a bit of tube, sliced down the side and forced open by the batteries. It maintains it's springiness over time, and holds the batteries quite firmly until they need to be replaced.) I just thought I should share a shot of this with you to show you what I meant by where I'd 'hidden' them earlier. The plasticard 'shield' is really just to prevent the resistor or any of the internal soldering from getting knocked about too much by the terrain under her feet. (Some of the parts are just one good knock away from a short circuit, but this piece of plasticard reduces the likelihood of this happening to near nil.)

And of course, the latest pictures of Victoria:

These first three were taken in light conditions optimised for showing off the paintjob...

And these two pictures were taken in light conditions optimised for showing off the (repaired!) LEDs.

Inspired by Kierkegaard's comment, I decided to press on and fix the knackered LED in the top of her blade (as can be seen in the above pictures...)

I had to replace much of the upper portion of her energy blade (as the LED's roots ran deep...), and I also relocated the internal circuitry to run along the outside of the blade for both added detail, and also ease of maintenence if I ever need to do a repair like this again.

The energy beam itself is made from carefully manipulated hot glue. At first, I managed to make a perfectly smooth beam between the two LEDs, but then decided that it didn't look 'energy-ey' enough, so went over it again with a second coat to make it look a little bit more zappy and irregular in shape.

Some of you may have noticed that the energy beam does touch the 'finger guard' of the blade. This is entirely deliberate, as hot glue doesn't have much structural strength when stretched over such a distance. So, to compensate, I also affixed it in the middle to the finger-guard, specifically to give it that extra bit of purchase and strength. (Also, what's a finger-guard for if not the protect her fingers from stray arcs of energy?)

All she really needs now is some base-detail, which I'll probably leave off until I get some more members of the warband together, so I can decide what sort of environment I want them walking through. I might just go with my usual grey ash/dust/dirt, since that's the colour of my gaming board.

Aaaaand finally, a little distraction:

Not really related to this project at all, but after randomly winning an Ebay auction for one of the old 40k Daemon Princes, I decided to 'truescale' it a bit to make it into an Inquisitor scale chaos marine. I have to confess that I think that this is a great model to work with, and a really great sculpt. Although it needed quite a little bit of cutting and reposing to get it to Artemis's height, I enjoyed every second. (And suffered the mandatory blood sacrifice with appropriately good humour. The spikes on his armour are sharper than I thought. I got jabbed quite nastily by one of them when trying to cut off his 'trophies' to make way for some appropriate Inq-scale trophies harvested from the old Kroot Mercenary booster pack.)

I've also knocked together a heresy era bolter from plasticard, a landspeeder boltgun, some plastic rod, greenstuff, and some cunning gluing... This chaos marine may recieve this weapon for his other hand, or I might save it for use with Serf Verenor. I'll post a couple of pics up later once I've got the G-S work cleaned up. (needs some filing and tool mark removal at the minute. It's looking kinda scrappy.) Until then, I'll leave you to enjoy the above pics of Victoria and the unnamed chaos marine. (For some reason, the name Vladamir keeps popping up in my head, which is too vampirey for someone who's more interested in spreading your blood across the wall and floor than actually drinking it.)
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Kaled

I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Ynek

Quote from: Kaled on April 16, 2011, 07:30:07 AM
That energy blade is hugely impressive - well done! :)

Coming from a bloke of your skill level, that means a lot to me. ^_^

I also can't help but notice that, like me, you're another weekend early riser...
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Ulgavitch

Can I just add my compliments to the rest? Very, very impressive, I'm rather in awe. I've got something to aim for!

Necris

7:19 is not an early riser

I'd been at work for 30 mins by then  :P
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

Molotov

This model is brilliantly unique, and a real testament to your skills (and your patience!)

Really great.
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

Stormgrad

I love Victoria and im looking forward to see what someone with your talent does to that Demon Prince

kierkegaard

I don't have anything particularly original to say, but I will just say that Victoria looks fantastic.

I also look forward to seeing what you do with the DP.

Ynek

It's been a while since I had any real progress to show on here. However, here's the latest on the Daemon Prince - to - Chaos Marine conversion:

Mainly all I've done is neaten up some of the GS work, finished off his torso-extension, added some extra intestine-analogous-cables to his stomach, reinforced some joins, added his pauldron, and extended a few armoured plates to help cover some of my joining work and spacers..... Basically not a whole lot that many people would notice.

I'm currently in two minds at the moment for what to do with his other arm. Either I'll sculpt it to be firing a heresy-era bolter, or I'll just use the stock DP's claw-arm.

Also, this may or may not end up becoming Crewman Doyle. I thought that since he crawls around in spaces with (quite likely) limited light, he might wear some sort of eyepiece to help him see in the dark. However, when I finished sculpting it, it ended up looking too much like a bionic eye, and I'm now thinking about just making him a generic (most likely Scelerian) ganger.

wargame_insomniac

I like that daemon prince- very cool. Makes me realise how big a model Artemis must be. I don't have an Artemis model but I dod have that old daemon prince so Artemis must be truly giant if you had to true scale it up to the same height.

Look forward to seeing how daemon prince progresses.

James

Ynek

Since my University course has been soaking up all of my time recently, I haven't really progressed with any of my miniatures in ages.

However, I have been doodling some vague designs down in various places, and I thought it would be a good idea to post some images here to see what people think so far.

So, without further delay, here are the latest concepts for Serf Verenor (and I apologise for the low quality... My scanner's machine spirit is being un-cooperative, so I used a camera. I'll edit this post to replace the images when my scanner is feeling like being less of a jackass, and better replacements become available.)

This first image shows the basic design of the armour I envisioned. Certain design elements are basically copy-pasted from standard Space Marine armour, but there are a few novel features which I think help to make him stand out.
The omega symbol is Verenor's personal heraldry. It represents finality, with him being the last honourable member of his chapter. His left pauldron reads: "Nomine fratrum meorum tradam, quae cecidit in tenebras, in lumen remittit dei imperator." Or, to translate: "I will deliver the name of my brothers who have fallen into darkness, back into the light of the God Emperor."
Of course, I'll never be able to write all of that into such a tiny space, and I'll probably just use tiny squiggles to represent writing, but I felt that it was characterful to decide exactly what the writing would represent.
There is a remarkable lack of Imperial Iconography on his armour (just one Imperial Eagle on his collar) this is representative of the fact that Verenor's true loyalty lies in trying to restore some of his fallen chapter's honour, and his loyalty to the Emperor is merely secondary to this. Thaddeus has noticed this peculiar behaviour, and believes that his brothers may have fallen to Chaos for similar reasons, allowing other factors to overshadow their loyalty to the Emperor first and foremost. Although Verenor remains pure, this 'way in' for Chaos still remains in his soul, meaning that Thaddeus watches him very closely indeed.
The lack of Inquisitorial iconography on Verenor's armour is pretty self-explanatory. Thaddeus doesn't want people knowing that this space marine serves the Inquisition. It's mostly a move to avoid paperwork, but also to avoid unwanted questions etc. as to Verenor's origins.

Verenor's hammer is one of the few relics of his chapter that escaped Thaddeus's Inquisitorial purge. Nobody is quite sure how it survived (most signs point to it as having been off-world during the purge) but it was uncovered by Inquisitor Eisenstein's extensive intelligence network and this information was passed on to Thaddeus. Worried that the hammer might carry some of the tainted chapter's corruption, he hunted down the hammer, eventually prying it from the cold dead fingers of a rogue trader's envoy on Icarus IV. Finding the hammer to be pure of taint, he issued it to Verenor, who promptly chipped off the chapter iconography, claiming that the symbol of a tainted chapter was not worthy, instead replacing it with his own heraldry, again making Thaddeus worry quietly about Verenor's true motivations.
Verenor's arm-mounted bolter is largely inspired by those used by the Grey Knights. It also leaves both of his hands free to carry and weild his enormous hammer.