Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The 7 Swordsmen of Chaos

Started by Nevermore2010, March 03, 2011, 01:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nevermore2010

This is really the planning stage of what will be a fairly large and long project. 7 models, each with a unique deamon bound sword. I took the name and vague idea from Naruto (Anime for those not aquainted with the title), in Naruto there are 7 blades given to only the best swordsmen of the mist village.

My idea is that each sword will personify one of the 7 deadly sins, and each sword will have a single deamonic ability. I'm also tempted to have the sword control the user, which would create an interesting story one user is killed the oppenent picks up his enemy's weapon only to become its new host. However thats only a idea atm.

The idea behind them will be that they are a small cult, chaos undivided, dedicated to summoning deamons or setting up cults on various worlds, the player can only field 3 of the 7 swordsmen in any game. Which models depends on dice roles or previous story developments.

Each model will (hopefully) give a rough sense of its host giving into the relevent sin.

I'm still in the process of selecting models but what i really need are swords... either interesting shapes or somewhere I can get a multipack.
Wash: "Psychic, though? That sounds like something out of science fiction."

Zoe:  "We live in a space ship, dear."

MarcoSkoll

Hmm - a cool concept, but it has the problem that the concept of the seven deadly sins is a strictly Christian notion. To base swords specifically around those "sins" would imply that Christianity (a religion no longer part of their universe) was somehow still relevant.

More appropriate would be eight swords to relate to the points of the Chaos star. You can still use the deadly sins as a starting point - there have been several different lists of said sins, so pick eight concepts from amongst them.

QuoteThe idea behind them will be that they are a small cult, chaos undivided
That seems a bit of a waste. While I might make the cult as a whole "Undivided", it seems that many of the sins gravitate quite nicely to specific gods. So, I'd suggest making the swords themselves aligned (either four aligned and four unaligned, or all eight aligned), their wielders dedicating themselves to particular aspects of Chaos, and only worshipping the pantheon between them.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Nevermore2010

If someone can provide me with 7 sins of the imperium i'd gladly use them, 7 has always been a mystic number in human society, odd numbers are almost always bad and even numbers usually good. So i'm going to stick to having 7 members of the group, however theres almost always someone in the background running things so maybe he can have the 8th sword...

And i think your right, the cult on the whole would be chaos undivided, with the indiduals being aligned to which ever Chaos god their sword was alligned with.

The 7 sins are usually, Lust, Greed, Gluttony, Pride, Envy, Sloth and Wrath. There are variations which replace Wrath with anger, Envy with jealousy, and Pride with Vanity, different words for the same sin, i did find one (wiki) which listed Dispair as a sub sin of Sloth, so perhaps that could be my 8th sin... though perhaps curiosity/knowledge is a more 40k sin lol

Morcus

I really like this idea, though alot of it put images of ring wraiths in my mind.

Personally, I wouldn't have them as PC's I think they'd work best GM controlled and making only very brief appearences acting mostly through there minions. I like the idea of the holder of the sword being controlled by it and of a character defeating one of them and starting to become them, it would make an intresting hook if one of the players was slowly becoming possessed and trying to fight it and at the same time gaining more and more information about this cult.

I was under the impression the seven deadly sins had it's roots in Judaism and Islam as well as christianity and could well continue beyond them.

Nevermore2010

Did a little more research into the number 7 just to prove that humanity seems obsessed by that number. 7 sins, 7 colours of the rainbow, 7 articals of faith in Islam, 7 chakra wheels in Hinduism and Buddhism, 7 days of the week, the moon changes its phase every 7 days, and if you add the opposite sides of a regular 4 sided dice the number is 7. So i'm sticking to the number 7, something that runs that deep in our heads can be safely assumed to carry over into 40k.

precinctomega

Whilst I tend to wince at any concept inspired by an anime, I can see this idea having depth if given the right attention.

The Imperial Cult, in real terms, isn't a religion but rather a satire: an opportunity to lampoon the trappings of organized religion in all forms. Mitres are supposed to represent the shape of the tongues of flame that rested on the heads of the Apostles on the first Pentecost, but that doesn't stop them looking mad and cool in the Dark Millennium.

Seven Swords of Seven Sins? Brilliant! They even align well with the powers of Chaos: wrath for Khorne, lust and envy for Slaanesh; pride and greed for Tzeentch and sloth and gluttony for Nurgle.

R.

Kaled

I'd be more convinced by the number seven if you could come up with a list showing it's significance in the 41st millenium. A quick Google search throws up plenty of hits for the number eight in different cultures through the years. Not that I have anything against there being seven of them - it's just your reasoning I disagree with.

If you wanted to have them aligned to a particular god, the seven is the sacred number of Nurgle. But I think them being undivided is better, with maybe one from each of the major powers and the others either worshipping Chaos as a whole or some of the minor powers.

Do you have ideas for models? Getting swords should be easy - plenty of 28mm models have large swords that could be used.

My only other concern is in making them sufficiently different as you could easily end up with a rather samey single archetype warband. It'll take some effort to make them look and play very differently from each other.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Necris

well there are at least 4 that I can think of off the top of my head

The Hive Tyrant's sword is also a good one to use
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

Ynek

Quote from: Nevermore2010 on March 03, 2011, 02:26:50 AM
The 7 sins are usually, Lust, Greed, Gluttony, Pride, Envy, Sloth and Wrath. There are variations which replace Wrath with anger, Envy with jealousy, and Pride with Vanity, different words for the same sin, i did find one (wiki) which listed Dispair as a sub sin of Sloth, so perhaps that could be my 8th sin... though perhaps curiosity/knowledge is a more 40k sin lol

As I recall, greed and gluttony were both covered by 'greed' in the original draft of the seven deadly sins way back in the 4th century AD. Instead there was a sin called "Avarice", which is essentially the sin of being apathetic, and has some crossover with greed. In fact, the first draft of the deadly sins was the "eight evil thoughts", written by a Greek scholar whose name currently eludes me, and didn't become 'deadly' sins' until much later.

So I suppose, if you were looking to have eight sins, you could always bring Avarice / Apathy back into it.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Kaled

I rather like the idea of knowledge or curiosity being regarded as a deadly sin by some Imperial cult. That seems to bring a much more 40k flavour to the idea. If you do want to stick to seven then I'd combine greed and gluttony, and add curiosity.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Morcus on March 03, 2011, 04:04:58 AMI was under the impression the seven deadly sins had it's roots in Judaism and Islam as well as christianity and could well continue beyond them.
While there is a list of "six things the LORD hates, seven that are detestable to him" in Proverbs 6:16-19 and thus shared by most Abrahamic religions, this list bears little resemblance to those traditionally thought to be "the seven deadly sins".

If you trace them back to their origin, there were originally a list of eight, written by the 4th century Christian monk Evagrius Ponticus (This being the Greek Scholar Ynek talks about). As such, the list is Christian, not Abrahamic in origin.

Quote from: Nevermore2010 on March 03, 2011, 05:14:13 AMDid a little more research into the number 7 just to prove that humanity seems obsessed by that number.
Current religions having grafted some mystical significance to number 7 does not prove that it is somehow special to Chaos, where the mystical answer has long been said to be 8.

However, if you want seven swordsmen, then there is always the possibility that there were originally a set of eight swords, but thus far, the eighth has been lost and they have yet to find it.
Or, perhaps more interestingly, the eighth sword was a Tzeentchian sword and gave its wielder an entirely separate agenda, leaving the sacred circle of eight. Now the remaining seven seek the traitor.

Either of those could provide an overarching drive for the group.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Inquisitor Goldeneye

Sounds like an interesting concept, although I agree with the others that eight is the number more usually associated with Chaos Undivided, so perhaps there could be some sort of symbolic eighth 'place' in their cult/team/squad/whatever deliberately left empty to represent the eighth point on the Chaotic star, or maybe they have an eighth sword with no weilder, or which no-one is alowed to use, or something like that?

Still, I'll definately be keeping an eye on this to see how it develops!

Also, I'm reasonably sure that 'avarice' is not apathy, but the coveting of material wealth and, as such, could be considered a synonym for 'greed' or, indeed 'covetousness'.
'A truth that's told with bad intent beats all the lies you can invent.' -  William Wordsworth.

Heroka Vendile

another way to have 8 swords would be if two of the group had fought each other, with one being killed/banished/etc, leaving one of the remaining seven with two swords and taking control of the group as a whole.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Necris

Quote from: Heroka Vendile on March 03, 2011, 01:56:34 PM
another way to have 8 swords would be if two of the group had fought each other, with one being killed/banished/etc, leaving one of the remaining seven with two swords and taking control of the group as a whole.

Sword of Malal ?
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

Ynek

Malal, being born of the human emotions of hatred and fear (hence why he hates all other chaos so much), doesn't really fit in with any of the seven deadly sins. Wrath is a more knornate trait, whilst Malal's hatred is a far more gut-deep, cold headed hatred that I like to think of as being a more calculated, utmost loathing rather than the frothing-mouthed rage of Khorne.

Therefore, in my humble opinion, it might be difficult to find a place for Malal within the seven deadly sins. However, we could always assume that Malal's swordsman champion was the one who LOST the fight with his rival, thus, whoever beat the Malal swordsman now carries the sword of Malal.

This could be an interesting plot hook, as the sword of Malal would probably have daemon-banishing powers, making it very difficult for any of the other daemonblades to share a weilder-host with. So perhaps they carry it around in a sheath, never daring to touch it, lest they lose control of their weilder-host (albeit temporarily). They would also have to guard it against others who might dare to touch it, lest Malal attain a new champion with which to challenge the circle.

Or perhaps there was some sort of cataclysmic event which separated the blade of Malal from the others. For instance, a furnace exploded or something, killing all of the sword-weilders. The tzeenchian sword was later picked up by a passing child, who then carried away the other blades (perhaps swathing them in cloth to prevent himself from having to share his newly acquired childhost), leaving the blade of Malal behind for his own tzeenchian purposes which are beyond human ability to understand.  Now, the majority of the circle of daemonswords wants to track down the blade of Malal, but the tzeenchian daemon has been pulling strings from within the group to subvert their efforts.

Perhaps the blades are only 'conscious' if they have a weilder, and thus, the other six blades have no knowledge of the tzeenchian daemon's plan....

It's just a suggestion, as to how to include an eighth blade to make the number synonymous with chaos, and still only have seven in the group. The only hurdle in this suggestion is that there's still no real 'deadly sin' which is relevant for Malal....
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."