Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Corrupted Mechanicus blog

Started by Aurelius 12, March 05, 2011, 11:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurelius 12

Hi all,
Some of you may be aware that alongside Lady Eleanor's band I'm also putting together two other groups, one belonging to Inquisitor Kallith, and another which is an Adeptus Mechanicus team left for dead who have somehow survived...

They're a group of Omissiad's who firmly believe the reason they survived was due to their God's divine intervention.

Anyway that's enough background. The group will consist of two or three tech priests, a couple of goons and their boss, the big bad (sort of).

The first of the techpriests is an engiseer by the name of Karel Vonnegut. Those of you who know your sci-fi will no doubt recognise at least part of the name. Those who recognise your sci-fi survival horror games will probably recognise the inspiration. One Mr. Isaac Clarke.

Not content with merely stealing his nomenclature, I also decided to use his suit as inspiration for my own character's look.

This is where I've gotten so far;

And from the front;

And the rear;

Equipment wise, his pistol is probably a meltapistol, while his hammer-arm will count as a power-hammer which can also be adapted to fire a kinetic blast, a sagacity based psychic impel ought to do it!

Stay tuned for more updates!
And the Saint did weep when she saw how lost the people were. Seven tears fell upon Gomorrah. Seven tears to wash away their sin. A deluge of heavenly tears drowned their world in an ocean of forgiveness. The people cleansed in a sea of nuclear fire.

precinctomega

Cool stuff!

QuoteThey're a group of Omissiad's who firmly believe the reason they survived was due to their God's divine intervention.

Anyway that's enough background.

I agree.  That's about the right amount of background!

R.

Inquisitor Goldeneye

I like the model, it's a nice use of the Thorian Inquisitor, and You're right, he does have something of that Deadspace chappy about him.

I have to say, though, an inferno-pistol and a power-weapon?

Sounds a bit powerfull to me...
'A truth that's told with bad intent beats all the lies you can invent.' -  William Wordsworth.

Sabotage!

I really like him, particularly the hammer-arm and backpack/ power generator. I never realized it before, but the Thorian Inquisitor's head is fairly similar to Isaac's helmet in the first Dead Space. First time I saw the model (which was fairly recently), I knew it seemed familiar! Nice work!

kierkegaard

Impressive use of the Thorian there. I look forward to seeing it painted.

Thanks for posting proper photos  ;D

BTW, are you going to remove the =][= symbol from the front of the helmet?

Aurelius 12

Thanks for all the comments!

Quote from: Inquisitor Goldeneye on March 05, 2011, 09:15:35 PM
I have to say, though, an inferno-pistol and a power-weapon?

Sounds a bit powerful to me...

I think it's all about balance. In principle the equipment (and what else I have lined up for him) are pretty powerful, that said I intend to have two stat lines for him- one as a GM controlled moderately hardcore enemy, and one as a player character.

Quote from: kierkegaard on March 06, 2011, 07:52:34 PM
BTW, are you going to remove the =][= symbol from the front of the helmet?

Actually the =][= symbol will probably be quite important to the final look. I intend to paint the recesses around the symbol as if they were his visors, like on Isaac's RIG. That said, if it stands out too much then I may have to rethink this plan!

Next up I have some photos of other members of the explorator team made last night. These are still very WIP and need some filling/sculpting to finish off, that said, any feedback would be more than welcome!

The inspiration for these characters is somewhat mixed; modern industrial machinery, bomb disposal robots, the derelict from Alien, terminator concept art as well as the usual Blanchian suspects!  There's also the practical issue of what parts I have to hand, but I'm pretty pleased with the results.

As I said these are still very WIP, but here we have Vonnegut's companions;

The Axe man

As you can see it's a fairly simple conversion of a preacher model, but I think it's pretty effective for a junior engiseer who's still mostly flesh and blood. In fact, compared to his friends, he's almost normal!

Speaking of friends, next up is Kazimovia, an exploratory who's desire to delve deeper into the unknown meant she required a more practical body than her fragile human form. Her acid spray weapon is used for cutting through bulkheads, and those who stand in her way.

She's also, ahem, rather larger than your average techpriestess!

Joining them is another yet-unnamed servitor/techpriest who's transformation to pure machine is almost complete!

As you can see from the group shot, they're not exactly normal looking characters, but then that's what I love about the Ad Mech!

Oh yes, and one final shot, a sneak peek of their boss (well, his legs at any rate!), the Explorator Ashur Zahn, a man looking to depart this mortal coil for something a little more... grandiose.

As always, more updates are on their way. I'd love to hear your feedback as I go!
And the Saint did weep when she saw how lost the people were. Seven tears fell upon Gomorrah. Seven tears to wash away their sin. A deluge of heavenly tears drowned their world in an ocean of forgiveness. The people cleansed in a sea of nuclear fire.

DapperAnarchist

Lego Technic Gears = Genius....
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Inquisitor Goldeneye

Whelp, colour me gobsmacked!

These are some wonderfully creative models which I can't wait to see painted (or, in the case of Magos Zahn, completed). I like the three-legged one with the Enforcer Barberetta head especially.

From experience with my own non-standard shaped characters I imagine they must require some pretty unusual hit-location/ damage charts.
'A truth that's told with bad intent beats all the lies you can invent.' -  William Wordsworth.

Inquisitor Octavian Lars

Quote from: DapperAnarchist on March 07, 2011, 12:18:07 PM
I was going to mention the use of that too, very clever.
Velterax III
All my wargaming under one address
http://velterax3chronicles.blogspot.com/

http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1566.0
Insertion Zone. Also on the Velterax III Chronicles.

Always looking for comments

Aurelius 12

Quote from: DapperAnarchist on March 07, 2011, 12:18:07 PM

Thanks! Plus, at less than 30p a pop they're damn good value too!

@ Goldeneye: Thank you to you too! I'm torn between the tripod and the tracked one when it comes to my favourite of the additions, although Vonnegut is still number one in my book!

As for location/damage charts, yeah that's something I'm going to have to work on when I get round to writing up their character sheets!

Aurelius 12

Basecoat is going on tonight, a nice grey ought to give me plenty of depth methinks. Pictures as and when work gets done. Also, does anyone know of any image sources of how extreme radiation/heat exposure affects painted metal. None of the chernobyl/pirpriat stuff is mostly rusty! (unless that's what happens?!) I rather like what happens to the Raptors in BSG when they fly through the radioactive nebula in season 3, but I'm looking for a real-world example.

kierkegaard

Very odd and interesting models there. I am particularly looking forward to seeing Zahn finished.

This post makes me want to work on some more AdMech models, but I really must finish what I already have on my desk.

Heroka Vendile

Some very interesting and creative models there. Nice work. can't wait to see them painted  :)
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

ismeno

Scary stuff! These guys will be having trouble hiding on the battlefield, but then again they look hard as nails, so they're probably wont have to. Really cool conversions, clever use of parts, hope to see them painted soon!

Aurelius 12

Right then, time for an update.

They've all been given a lick of paint. They're by no means finished, but they're certainly a lot redder than they were before! I've also added in two other members to the group.

I'm experimenting a little with this group- using a very sparse selection of colours and going for muted tones. I've also used a lot of washes to give their cloaks a really dark, grimy and worn feel. After all, they were sealed inside a radioactive bunker for a couple of years and to my knowledge the washing machine was not in the best of states!

Some areas still need painting, and others need a second coat. I haven't done the bases or done much tidying up either. Also I haven't done much in the way of weathering and highlighting yet so there's still a way to go yet!

First up is the acid-spraying mother of the group, in all her multi-wheeled glory.

The most mechanical of the six is up next, only her head remains flesh and blood...

Next is our relatively normal axe wielder!

And finally of the ones I've shown already, we have Engiseer Vonnegut.

The first of the newbies is actually a couple! Well, a father and son; the child genius and his brute father, forever joined...

And last but by no means least is the beserk, jaws-of-life-for-a-hand engiseer. Because who needs fingers when you can have a power claw?!

As always, thoughts, comments and criticisms are more than welcome. I'll post more pictures up when they're a little more finished.