Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Carnosaur/Stegadon?

Started by MarcoSkoll, March 22, 2011, 02:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Lizardmen Carnosaur and Stegadon for Inquisitor?

It struck me earlier that the Stegadon would be an easy Grox, if you lose the crest and howdah (both separate parts which can doubtless can find a home in the bitz box) and the Carnosaur just seems like a generally good beastie - perhaps converted up into some sort of cyber creature for antagonists who want to unleash some sort of half metal, half reptile killing machine upon people.

Both are probably going on my to-do list, but I wanted to see if anyone had any words of wisdom.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Shannow

Well I have the carnosaur with intentions of doing such things to it, but have never got round to it. My plan was to have it as a packhorse style animal with possibly a few mounted weapons or allow a character to restock his ammo if he can make it back to his trusty steed...
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Backyardpatrol

I've had the Carnosaur model waiting around for years, it reminds me of the one described in the Eisenhorn novels... Maybe a bit small. The model has a couple of Lizardman spike harnesses on it but beside that it's ready for paint.
Vicious!

Stormgrad

well i think personally for some kind of fighting pit both would be perfect to represent xenos beast trade

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Backyardpatrol on March 22, 2011, 02:24:48 PMMaybe a bit small.
From what I can tell from the available pictures, it's still about 15 feet long at Inquisitor scale. Not something you'd want to pick a fight with. It looks like it might be a little shorter than ideal, but a repose could fix that.

Although, of those of you that have them could you take some measurements? Length, height?

Quote from: Shannow on March 22, 2011, 02:20:29 PMtrusty steed
Great, now I'm going to build it with a detachable rider.

~~~~~

Any thoughts on the Stegadon Grox?

GW's =I= articles

Heroka Vendile

The way grox have been described, drawn and modelled by GW in the past actually means that the Carnosaur is the closest thing. They've used lizardmen / dark elf Cold Ones in the past to model 28mm versions.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

kierkegaard

I would really like to see a carnosaur next to a standard =][= model for scale, if someone has the time to take a picture.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Heroka Vendile on March 22, 2011, 06:35:28 PMThey've used lizardmen / dark elf Cold Ones in the past to model 28mm versions.
I recall that article (actually it was reading it that got me thinking about the Carnosaur in Inquisitor), but at the same time, the Carnosaur doesn't feel like a good basis for an animal farmed for meat.
It's too lean and doesn't look like what you'd get after a few thousand years of selective breeding to use as food. It's pure predator, not livestock.

The Stegodon however does have a generous bulk and seems more believable as livestock.
However, if people don't think that it'll be a good base, perhaps it might be wiser to produce my own model. It would at least be a darn sight cheaper to make a herd of three or so that way. (And I guess you really need a herd rather than a single beast).
Perhaps it's time to try raiding the dinosaur section at the local Early Learning Centre for some base models. I will have a Grox herd!

GW's =I= articles

greenstuff_gav

sorry for the blurry PSP camera pics :P
also, old metals if that makes alot of difference to scale :)

i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

kierkegaard

Thanks Gav - I'm fairly sure that is the current carnosaur. It looks perfect for a wild predator or pit beast.

Backyardpatrol

QuoteIt looks like it might be a little shorter than ideal, but a repose could fix that.

I didn't realize it was so hunched, I measured and it peaks at 2" at the high point on its back. The legs index into the body, which is nice for hiding the seams, but it'll be a chore to repose! But thats what greenstuffs for I guess!

Heroka Vendile

The new plastic Stegadon is a bit bulkier, but not by much.

Grox have always been described as a predator lobotomised at birth to my knowledge.

eModels have the Tamiya dinosaurs range, fairly sizable kits at 1/35 scale at pretty decent prices.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Heroka Vendile on March 23, 2011, 01:12:24 PMThe new plastic Stegadon is a bit bulkier, but not by much.
Yeah, it did look a lot bigger in the pictures. Although I had still planned to hunt it out in the Miniatures hall when I was up at the GT to get an idea of size first.

I was expecting about that size for the Carnosaur. Bit of a repose, perhaps a little GS here and there, add armour plating - dino death machine. Think like the velociraptors in Jurassic Park - they weren't that big (although far bigger than they were in reality), but still very threatening.

QuoteGrox have always been described as a predator lobotomised at birth to my knowledge.
No, they're aggressive, but they're basically the extreme omnivore - they can eat just about anything. Anyway, regardless of what a wild Grox might be like, after tens of thousands of years of selective breeding and a mass of force feeding, they wouldn't still be lean killing machines like the Carnosaur.

QuoteeModels have the Tamiya dinosaurs range, fairly sizable kits at 1/35 scale at pretty decent prices.
Looks good. Cheap enough for three or four, and a better size.

GW's =I= articles

DapperAnarchist

... six velociraptors for ten pound? hmmm...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Stormgrad

why do i think that at the next clave event after the igt alot of people will have a herd of grox or some other reptilian nasty to fight