Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The Circles of the Wise

Started by Dolnikan, March 24, 2011, 02:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dolnikan

True to his word several members of the second circle entered her apartment. They must have managed to open the locked door somehow. Their steps sounded careful. Shortly thereafter the first of them entered her room. It was a woman called Wenisch. She aimed a pistol into the room and then called: "She's over here."

The agent looked at the others entering after Wenisch. There were four of them, all of them were armed and worried. Dolnikan whispered: "Please, help me."

Wenisch said: "Look at her, she's not dead yet, but that won't take long. We should just leave before we can be found by the authorities. She is in such a state that she won't even tell us what happened. Any moment they will send in more assassins and we're dead as well."

Fuelagh replied: "Don't worry, we can save her and get a lot closer to resolving this mystery. She knows more than any of us. Just let Havin look at her, he is a doctor and will tell us what we can do."

She prayed that they would choose to save her, otherwise the whole operation was over and she would have failed her master.

Havin walked over to the agent and looked at her. He touched her wounds and said: "It seems that her vitals were narrowly missed, if we stop the bleeding she will live."

He opened his bag and started to work on her. A painful hour later he said: "We can move her now. Be careful with her. She cannot walk so we will have to carry her to our vehicle."

"That is what we will do then", said Fuelagh, "the problem of the authorities remains, an investigation could lead to some problems, remember the trouble it was to draw away their attention when the others were murdered?"

Wenisch: "We just dispose of the corpse sometime later, nobody will look too closely, the neighbours have not summoned the authorities over the shooting. Perhaps they have slept through it all."

"I think not, they will surely notice the absence of the girl and our sister. They will contact them in the morning."

"What do you suggest then?"

"Set fire to the building, one of us stays here until we have left, he or she will then set a fire and escape. The police will find the body and assume something gang-related."
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Dolnikan

She had been carried to the waiting motorized transport. Such vehicles were rare on the planet but the cult had managed to lay its hands on several of the things for its senior members. While they were going back to the temple Fuelagh said to her: "Stay calm sister, you will live to see great things and to ascend along with us. You are gravely wounded but we shall tend to you and you will walk again, spreading the sacred words. But tell, me, what has happened, be detailed, we must find out if there are other murderers."

She croaked with a weak voice: "She came into my room with a knife. She said: "You know too much, the blood demands yours" as she stabbed me."

"It there anything else?"

"I don't think so, do you know what the blood is?"

"No, I must confess that I have no idea sister, but Tchar will know, he always knows the answers. You must have come very close to finding the answers we seek, now rest sister as we return to our temple. It is not safe for you anymore outside it."

Once inside the temple complex she was brought to a set of rooms she did not yet know, there were beds there. Almost immediately after she had been put into one of them Tchar entered, he still seemed joyful, but not nearly as much as usual. He said to her: "Dear Barnach, who would ever hurt such a lovely person? Especially now that we are so very close to ascension. Fuelagh told me about the Blood wanting to do this, well, let me promise you this, an immortal cannot die and soon you will be immortal like all of us. Ascension is close, I feel it calling in the air we breathe."

The agent forced a smile to her face and whispered: "Thank you great teacher, I wish for nothing but that day, when it shall come."

"It is a secret for now, but tomorrow I will declare some new, very strict rules for the second and third circles, they will all come to live here, all that remains then is to take the fourth here and Ascension will come within our grasp."
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Dolnikan

She had to act soon. Tchar could not be allowed to let his plans come to fruition. She had remained in her bed throughout the day and when night had fallen and everyone had gone to sleep she rose, unhindered by her wounds.

From beneath her pillow she took her needle pistol. When she entered the hallways they were empty. Silently she moved across them, finding her way to the outside. There were guards now, protecting the temple from attackers. There was one guard standing where she would have to pass by. To kill or injure him would draw attention, she could not risk that. Instead she took a single needle from her pistol, it was coated in a venom that caused its victims to fall asleep.

She sneaked up on the man. Before he could notice her she delivered a slight stab, the man fell immediately, without noticing her. The agent caught him and put him sitting to the wall. People would assume that his tiredness had overtaken him as would he, in his shame. The injury was small enough to be missed.

The city was barely lit. Her destination was hours away but there was no time to rest. She broke into a run, drawing the powers of the warp into her to grant her speed. The streets were mostly empty, some people saw her, a woman even tried to stop her. She simply shouted: "I'm late!" and continued on her way, everyone assumed that she was just another hurried woman, late for her work. On her way she altered her appearance, to avoid any kind of recognition.

Eventually she reached her destination. A huge intimidating building, most people kept away from this bastion, the bastion of the Emperor's Law. The building emanated dread, the heavy steel gates were closed and guarded by two unmoving figures. As Dolnikan approached them they aimed shotguns at her and servitors mounted on the walls tracked her with their weapons.

One of them spoke with an emotionless voice: "State your name and business, citizen."

"I have no name, I am nothing but a servant of the Emperor and my honoured master. I must use the astrotelepaths here, the Emperor's realm is under threat from heretics and criminals.", she replied as she handed them the scroll identifying her as a servant of the Inquisition.

The same arbitrator who had spoken before said, after reading through it: "You may pass, inside an adept will take you to judge Fulion who will address your case."

"Thank you and may the Emperor bless your path."

The agent entered the building through a small door in the main gates. She was quickly brought to the judge who received her in a room designed to intimidate visitors. She was a short woman with a brutish look, certainly someone who enjoyed her work. She bowed to her and said: "Honoured judge, I apologize for the late hour but the matter is urgent."

"The law never rests, remember that. Now inform me about your business and I shall consider it. But first identify yourself"

"I am here to send a message to my master, the inquisitor Khar. It is urgent, I cannot tell you about the threat, I am forbidden to speak of it by my master. But be assured that it is a danger to the whole planet."

"I cannot grant anyone access to the astropaths based only on the slight evidence you provide. The document could be a clever forgery, there are always those who seek to subvert the law and to intrude on our domains."

Dolnikan

"If you refuse to cooperate my master's gaze will be turned to this precinct, and I can assure you, he will turn every stone until he has found the evidence of incompetence that is always there. You are aware of the extend of the mercy of the inquisition. If you refuse to obey his written orders there will be consequences."

"You fail to see the issue, it is a possibility that this secret message is a frivolity and that your mandate is a lie. I cannot tolerate the possibility of unlawful use of Imperial resources. That is a crime."

"But it is a much greater crime to disobey an inquisitor and to allow a threat to one of the Emperor's worlds to continue festering. I know that you are a loyal servant of the Emperor and his law, and you have reached your position on your merit. But sometimes extraordinary circumstances arise. In those cases there is need for another kind of operative, one not bound except by the Emperor's will. I regret that I cannot inform you about what is happening in the shadows, that must remain in secret. However, your aid will be highly valued and my master knows many powerful people who will have need for capable officers of the law."

"I understand what you mean, but I cannot just give you access to our astropath to pass on a secret message to a secret destination."

"I cannot tell you what the message contains but I can tell you the destination. It is to be sent to Doristor Prime, station tertial. My master will be informed from there."

Dolnikan

At last the judge had agreed to allow the agent to use the astropath of the Arbites. She was taken to a bare room burried deep beneath the precinct house. There a single man awaited her. He was short and thin, his hair was grey and falling outof his head, his eye sockets were empty and tubes ran into his nose and mouth. A speech unit was crudely attached to the face. The arbitrators who had brought her there left the room and closed the door behind them.

She spoke: "Honoured astropath, I have a message that you must send. Are you capable of this task?"

The man replied with a mechanical voice: "Despite my present condition I am very capable of such a task. But please, first tell me, who are you?"

"My identity must remain secret, all you can know is that I am a servant of the holy orders of the Inquisition."

"I understand, please, accept my apologies for asking such a question."

"Now, the message is simple, it must be sent to station tertial of Doristor Prime. The sender is Fireblossom. The priority level is alpha. The text is: "The seeds of the flower have been found, the gardener is required to water them. The well is the third source of Fireblossom"

Dolnikan

The agent was sneaking back into the compound when she heard footsteps ahead of her. There were hushed voices as well, she heard: "Our poor sister, she won't make it to the big ceremony tomorrow, the third will finally be completed, unless there are more of us who perish.", that was Fuelagh's voice!

"Yes, but that will not happen, Tchar has summoned us here and under his eye we are safe."

"Barnach will be elated when we tell her the news, I just hope that she is awake"

"She will be, through the pain she is suffering it is impossible to sleep."

The pair had almost reached her room, she had to get in there before they could see that she wasn't there. She glanced over her clothing, luckily she had put those clothes she was wearing back on, the bandages also were still in place. Her wounds however were gone, there was no time to recreate them now. Fuelagh reached out to open her door, this was the last moment she had, her work was almost done but now it was about to be undone.

The agent spoke, sounding slightly weak: "Fuelagh? I was looking for someone when I heard you."

Fuelagh turned at once, his eyes wide open in shock: "B-Barnach? How is this possible, you are wounded, incapable of movement?"

"I was, but I desperately wanted to get better, there was so much to do and Tchar had told me that ascension would be soon. I had to get better. I focused very hard and the wound closed slowly, I kept doing this until it finally was fully healed. Then I went out to look for someone, but I think that I got lost."

"That is a miracle, I can see what Tchar sees in you, with your talents. But please, rest, you look tired."

Dolnikan

The next day the circles were assembled. Tchar spoke to them after the ceremony of welcoming: "Brothers and Sisters, we are complete. This means one thing, ascension is coming. Soon we will be witch the Lord of all Wisdom, to eternally learn. We will drink from the fountain of wisdom and will be free from all mortal concerns. None of us wil leave this temple, we will meditate for nine days and nine nights, devoting our souls utterly to the Changer of Ways. After this cleansing of the mind we will be ready to ascend to his side."

The agent sat on her knees, close to Tchar. Her master would arrive in six days, the warp route was stable. Tchar continued: "I know that we are beset by unknown murderers, but they cannot enter these halls. The fourth circle will guard us while we prepare. We have something to focus on, focus on me through which you will focus on our master."

Dolnikan

It was the seventh day of the meditation, and still there was no sign of her master. It would soon be over. She looked at Tchar, who smiled, strangely enough this seemed like the first real smile she had ever seen from him. If nothing was done soon he would get his ascension. The beacon was still in her belly, she could feel it, her master would find her. She glanced around, many of the others were tired, they had been at this for days, with little rest in between. Only the promise of ascension kept them going.

At last the silence was broken, in the distance she could hear weapon discharges, it was beginning then. She touched her leg, there, hidden by the robes of the Second Circle, she carried her needle pistol and a knife. She waited for a response which came minutes later. A member of the fourth circle entered the room and Fuelagh stoop up to speak to him, the rest of the assembly remained in meditation.  A little later he walked towards Tchar and whispered into his ear, just so the whole Second Circle could hear it: "Master, we are under attack, the fourth is  being driven back, we don't know how many are dead."

Tchar's smile disappeared, he then addressed the assembly: "Brothers and Sisters, there is grave news. We have come under attack by unknown forces, jealous of our enlightenment. I fear that our tranquility must be broken to defend ourselves and our temple. You know where your assigned places are. Fight with all you have and you know the eternal rewards of Wisdom. Now go and know that your skills will hold off any foe.

All the cultists rose and left the shrine, only Tchar and the Second Circle remained. Fuelagh bowed and said: "Master, what is your command for us?"

"We must take our most sacred possessions and leave, our wisdom is invaluable and we can rebuild when we have to. There is a secret tunnel not far from here."

The agent swallowed, they could not be allowed to escape. She had to do something, but alone she would not stand a chance. She would play along for the moment, slowing them down. When she stood up again she let herself fall. Wenisch ran towards her, to pull her back to her feet. She said: "I am sorry. I did not know what happened, my legs suddenly didn't carry me anymore. It could be because of my wound, or maybe it was the long sitting."

The gunfire was coming closer and the small group started to run after Tchar. The agent pretended to narrowly keep up. They took several object which were hidden under Tchar's place, including the mystic bowl and several tomes. Tchar handed a pair of glass candlesticks, which seemed to be hollow and filled with some strange substance, there was a half-burned candle in each one. Tchar then turned away, towards the wall. This would be the moment then.

The agent suddenly threw the candlesticks at Wenisch, they shattered and the woman was coated in the strange substance, she screamed. She drew her pistol in a smooth movement and started shooting. She was almost blinded by a bright flash coming from Tchar, he had some sort of protection then. She stepped forwards, shooting other members of the Second while Tchar started to speak: "Why, Barnach, why do you betray us?"

Two cultists had fallen but Tchar flicked his wrist and the agent was thrown through the room, coming to a crashing halt at the wall, pain flared through her, her right hip was broken. He continued: "I would have loved hearing you out, but I am in a hurry, so you will just die."

A bolt of pure light emerged from his fingertips, coming right at the agent. She looked at it and started to speak: "O Imperatore, adjuva me!"

These words which had remained unspoken for too long let the agent focus her mind on the light, which was deflected away from her. She was in pain, but she had to continue. Tchar said: "So, you serve the throne then, that won't help you. I have more power  than you and you cannot keep going much longer. But please, first tell me who you work for."

She raised her hand again, shooting more poisonous needles at the cultists. Wenisch' screams changed, attracting the agent's attention. The strange substance was altering her in horrible ways, she had swollen and new limbs were growing from her body. The others were backing away from her but Tchar seemed delighted: "Our sister has been truly blessed, she will no longer be hindered by her once human form, and will certainly enjoy your death. Now, we really must get going now, my children!"

The agent heard the gunfire coming closer and said: "It is too late for you, Tchar, you cannot escape, especially not without my help. You see, I am quite attached to my life, this was dangerous, yes, but not certain death. I can get you to safety, if you spare me. This place is locked down, and they will track you everywhere. There is no escape unless I show you how to evade the attackers."

"Don't dare to try to trick me like that. I know that you just want to live, well, that won't happen, you can't even walk anymore, Wenisch will put an end to you and cover us.", Tchar touched a stone in the wall and it swung open.

Dolnikan

The monstrous beast came towards the agent, who slowly stood up. Leaning to the wall behind her. She shot, but the last of her needles failed to harm the monster. It distracted her from what really mattered, Tchar. She focused on her hip, she could stand on it again, the pain still flared through her when she put her weight on it, but it would have to be enough. She ran forwards, dodging past Wenisch' flailing appendages and leapt at Tchar. He turned around just in time to avoid her knife. The agent landed on her feet, but almost fell again, the hip almost broke again.

Tchar seemed angry by now: "You shouldn't be on your feet anymore, yet you are. Who are you? What are you?"

He easily deflected her knife with a glittering sword that he drew, seemingly from thin air. "I am no one and everyone at the same time."

He cut at her, the agent took a step back, and received a deep cut across her chest. Blood flowed freely but she stayed on her feet. She tried to stab him again, but his swordsmanship simply was better than her own. She narrowly deflected another blow when something heavy hit her from behind. The world started spinning and she fell, she looked up and saw Fuelagh standing over her with a heavy tome.

There was more blood now and the pain was getting worse. She wouldn't last much longer. She whispered: "You just made a grave error, Urthir Welnd, you should have let your master kill me, now you stand there, in his place. Your soul is already lost, and I will not spare you your deserved fate."

Suddenly she moved again, she grabbed Fuelagh by his feet and drew in all the power that she could, which was easy in this place. Her brain felt like it was on fire and her eyes started bleeding as well, blinding he. She turned and the cultist was smashed into Tchar who fell. She could hear bones breaking and Fuelagh made no sound. The few surviving cultists shouted in surprise while she wiped the blood from her right eye. She looked around and saw that Tchar was rising again. And she saw Wenisch, shuffling towards her. Behind the mutant she then saw something that caused a smile to appear on her face, the doors were flying open and several figures burst into the room, dressed in heavy black armour. Wenisch was killed by their concentrated fire within mere moments. The other cultists were cut down by their lasbeams as well, only Tchar survived, protected by a shield of fire.

Behind the storm troopers she saw another shape walking into the room, he towered over the others in his heavy red and gold armour. In one hand he carried a shield, decorated with one of the best known symbols in the Imperium, an I with three bars through it. He raised his massive hammer and said, his voice magnified by his armour: "In the name of His Most Holy Emperor, I command your death. There is no place for heresy like yours in His holy realm. Surrender now and He might still show some mercy."

Tchar looked at him, seeming surprised. He pointed his sword at the inquisitor and replied: "I assume that all this is your doing then, including the betrayal of Branka over here. How long has she been feeding you our secrets?"

The inquisitor stepped towards Tchar and replied: "Meet your end now, witch."

Tchar would have said something again but the agent suddenly stabbed him in his upper leg. He fell, shouting in pain and surprise. She followed up by placing her knife at his throat, looking at the inquisitor.

He gave a nod and she slit the sorcerer's throat. She tried to stand up but couldn't, she said: "Master, is it enough?" and slipped into unconsciousness.