Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Grand Tournament 2012 - March 31st

Started by Kaled, March 30, 2011, 09:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

While I agree that games can get into brawls (and lopsided brawls at that) more easily than I would like, this would seem to be attributed to an under-assertive GM and the inherent limitations of scenarios written in a vacuum, not the lack of a points system. Such a thing is impossible given the massive number of possible character designs and how unquantifiable factors like a character's personality affects their impact on the game.

Different characters with the same stats, skills and equipment would be of different "power" depending on whether they're aggressive or cautious. If I gave one of my characters to someone else, they'd not be worth the same number of points - even if they didn't have a wild personality shift under the hands of another player, it'll be a different interpretation.

There's no fashion in which a game like this can ever be properly balanced. And I wouldn't want there to be, because that would encourage "optimising" warbands. In fact, I'd be very reluctant to go to any event that tried to do such a thing.

Because a points system isn't a solution, the solution lies with the GM. And if we focus it there, I think you have a fair point. I know I'm not always as forceful as I should be. In any case, I think I'm going to try and take the comments on-board with some scenario redesign and keeping any spurious excuses for fights more strongly in mind when it comes to scoring time.

Quote from: Stormgrad on March 18, 2012, 08:30:31 AMRegardless ill bring the RT CR and some PreMades for people to jump in with
While I commend the enthusiasm, don't get your hopes too high. You may have to settle for an extra game of Inquisitor if there's not enough willing and able players for RT.

~~~~~

In other news, given a lack of any response as to who's around, I'm not planning on trying to stay late. If I want to go via the later London trains, I have to pre-book to keep it cost effective - which then means I can't leave on any other train but that one.

Sitting around alone and exhausted isn't my idea of fun, so I'm on the non-London routes and my evac is now no later than 20:09. (But my 19:37 option would be better, as that timetable's got both more leeway and more opportunity for sleeping on the train.)
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Van Helser

I must chip in and say that my experience of the points scoring at the IGT has penalised those with heavily armed characters whose approach to completing each scenario is to remove the opposition. A ready reckoner system shouldn't be needed, and indeed would detract from what makes Inquisitor special. Tournament points based upon the "cool" of characters and the players approach to the game makes for the right way to decide a winner. The current set up is excellent (I may be biased, having placed 2nd and 1st on my two entries, but I have done so completing my objectives in only one scenario out of the six I've played in!).

Ruaridh

MarcoSkoll

Kaled PMed me about this, but I'm posting it here for the convenience of others.
I got a bit sidetracked with trying to sort this, and have consequently done less modelling than I would have liked today, but here's the assignment solution for three tables:

~~~~~

Game 1: 1,6,7,12 - 2,4,5,8 - 3,9,10,11
Game 2: 1,4,7,9 - 2,3,6,11 - 5,8,10,12
Game 3: 1,3,6,8 - 2,4,9,10 - 5,7,11,12
Game 4: 1,2,5,11 - 3,4,7,10 - 6,8,9,12

If no player #11, put #3 in his place in game three.
If no player #10 either, put #4 in his place in game one, and #7 in his place in game two.

Obviously, three tables and four players per table means you can't avoid anyone meeting twice (if you've got to pick four people from the three games they've just played, you've got to pick more than one from one of the games) and less obviously, get everyone to meet at least once - but this is as good a solution as I can find, as the GMing order means that nobody will play each other twice.

GW's =I= articles

Dwi

Shame I'm on the other side of the pond. This looks to be an interesting event, though as random Canadian dude, me showing up would be rather out of place even on short notice...

Still I hope you all have a great time though.
May The Emperor protect us from the dakness of the void. That or we can run around in little cricles and wave our arms and shout

Kaled

Thanks Marco, much appreciated. I'm going to hang onto those as they'll be useful for future events too.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

MarcoSkoll

No problem. I've gone and dropped them into the Gaming Aids thread too so that others can find them more easily in future, and I'll probably add 2 and 5 table solutions at some point as well.

EDIT: In other news, my new D20s have arrived. I may be using them for my group's "house method" for full auto fire, given I (spoiler) plan on bringing a Full(16) weapon that would take forever to roll normally.

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

I spoke to WHW the other day to confirm arrangements for the IGT and have asked for our usual mix of terrain. Apparently they have some Space Hulk boards which the guy suggested might work well for Inquisitor so he's going to see about putting one of those out for us. Hopefully that will work well if anyone has planned a scenario to take place in an enclosed indoor space.

Also, please bear in mind that if we have an odd number of participants then some people will be asked to GM a second game - so you might want to plan for that eventuality. And if there are an odd number of players then, as long as everyone agrees, I might bring a warband and join in a game or two.

See you all next weekend,
Dave

Stormgrad

I doubt anyone from the usual crowd would object to your participation mate

seiterarch

Quote from: Kaled on March 25, 2012, 09:22:18 AM
Apparently they have some Space Hulk boards which the guy suggested might work well for Inquisitor so he's going to see about putting one of those out for us. Hopefully that will work well if anyone has planned a scenario to take place in an enclosed indoor space.

Hmm, I was actually half-way through assembling the scenery for my scenario: a space hulk made from this - http://www.stones-edges.com/scifi/orbital

I presume the spece hulk boards they are talking about are just the flat cardboard ones though? If so, I'll continue.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Stormgrad on March 25, 2012, 12:10:11 PMI doubt anyone from the usual crowd would object to your participation mate
Same here - I can't imagine that it's all that interesting if you've not even got to GM, and I know I'd rather be running my scenario for three than two. Win-win really.

Quote from: seiterarch on March 25, 2012, 07:17:28 PMI presume the spece hulk boards they are talking about are just the flat cardboard ones though?
I suspect it'll be more like the one they did for the Armageddon campaign that later got recycled as the Karis Cephalon catacombs, or perhaps the FW Anphelion Base interior or Zone Mortalis.

In any case, push on. The worst case scenario is that you'll have a choice on the day and a board you can use at home.

~~~~~

And some other news that I can't be bothered to post in a more sensible place - I've finally won a copy of the rare Exterminatus #8 to complete my collection, in an eBay bidding war so ferocious no-one else was around. This, boys and girls, is why we check international listings.

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

I got the impression they were 3D Space Hulk boards, but I can't remember exactly what he said so I may be wrong. I guess we'll find out on the day.

Mordenkenain

will I be able to get a load (and I mean A LOAD) of buildings and a crater or should I bring some with me
Bonis Nocet Quisquis Malis Pepercit

Kaled

GMs should have some choice of terrain, but choices will be limited. If you need specific terrain then you might be best bringing your own - generally I suggest trying to avoid scenarios that need specific terrain because there are no guarantees as to what you'll get.

greenstuff_gav

i did for the last one :)
also, has a deffo +1 for the day; Olis... and t missus will be lounging in t bar :)
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Bloodpact

Quote from: Van Helser on March 20, 2012, 09:22:49 PM
I must chip in and say that my experience of the points scoring at the IGT has penalised those with heavily armed characters whose approach to completing each scenario is to remove the opposition. A ready reckoner system shouldn't be needed, and indeed would detract from what makes Inquisitor special. Tournament points based upon the "cool" of characters and the players approach to the game makes for the right way to decide a winner. The current set up is excellent (I may be biased, having placed 2nd and 1st on my two entries, but I have done so completing my objectives in only one scenario out of the six I've played in!).

Ruaridh

I agree that a ready reckoner is by no means an ideal solution, but i think a few limitations would go a long way to reducing the power creep of warbands.

To clarify, i am entirely happy that people would be penalised for overly aggressive play, or super powered characters, but all of these factors are applied to an overall score, which while important in the overall scheme of the day, has very little effect on the enjoyment of the game. I think that the points scoring for GM's actually discourages them from penalising players during the game, as this may lead to them receiving a lower GM score from the affected participent. While it could be argued that a player who is a victim of overly aggressive play may score a GM lower because of it, i dont think this is the case 99% of the time.

With a nod to last year, the scenario i found most challenging and interesting was Gav's 'Rock Concert' scenario where players were severely limited on their characters and equipment, and were forced to think hard about how to acheive their objectives (although it should be pointed out that this scenario still devolved into a brawl in the centre of the board).

While i was pleased to place 2nd last year, and would have tryed to improve upon this, overall enjoyment of the games is more important to me than how many points other players do, or do not get, and placing well comes a long way behind enjoyable games in my book. 

Repent! For tomorrow you burn!