Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Hotshot laspistol?

Started by Holiad, November 26, 2011, 03:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holiad

Quick question here-for modelling purposes, what is the physical distinction between a hotshot laspistol and an ordinary laspistol?
Poor noble Marech
Noone 'till the end could see
Your brave heart of fire

biggreengribbly

Going by Stormtrooper models, increased power supply (rucksack battery packs are usual), and some kind of re-enforced casing/barrel would about do it.

Adlan

Quote from: biggreengribbly on November 26, 2011, 05:47:30 PM
Going by Stormtrooper models, increased power supply (rucksack battery packs are usual), and some kind of re-enforced casing/barrel would about do it.
That sounds more like a hell pistol. I thought a Hot Shot Las pistol would be a Las pistol firing a Hot Shot Las Pack, like the difference between firing a .38 special and a .357 magnum, can be done through the identical gun, the ammunition makes the difference in power. Which you could model by sculpting an icon on the las pack, or just painting it with hazard stripes or such like. Other than that, I thought they would be an ordinary laspistol.

RobSkib

I was under the impression that hotshot laspistols and hellpistols are now the same thing, just overcharged laspistols? If that's the case, then the Stormtroopers are sporting power packs for the extra ammunition it provides - 'hotshotting' a lasweapon seriously reduces its ammo capacity. I believe (although marco will swoop in and correct my wild generalisations) that to 'hotshot' the gun, you just need to turn the clip up to 11. Hotshot weapons, therefore, tend to have bigger barrels and stockier frames to support the extra energy going through them.

To be honest though, anything that makes the laspistol look punchier would suffice. Even a regular laspistol could be passed off as a hotshot one if you make it look a bit ornate - it's no stretch of imagination to believe that someone well-connected enough could afford to have a souped-up laspistol tailored to a specific design.
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Holiad

Personally, I'm more inclined to think of the hellguns as a distinct, and much more deadly, weapon-they can reliably punch through power armour, which places them far above a hotshot lasgun in raw power. The need for a backpack also feels like an important difference between the two weapons. Personally, I'm favouring the normal laspistol with a bulkier power pack approach, since I'm pretty sure they are references to hotshot power packs as distinct from regular ones.
Poor noble Marech
Noone 'till the end could see
Your brave heart of fire

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: Holiad on November 27, 2011, 09:14:06 PM
Personally, I'm more inclined to think of the hellguns as a distinct, and much more deadly, weapon

weren't Hot Shot Las weapons introduced in Necromunda V1 as ammo carts for laser weapons that had been overcharged, increasing power but reducing reliability & life of the cart (i recall las-carts last ages if maintained properly) while the hellgun was introduced in Warhammer Monthly as a more powerful lasgun?

EDIT: Found It .. i think this is the first i heard of a Hellgun ; WHM#46, Sept01

Necromunda rulebook 1995, Ammo (p#62): The hotshot pack is an especially powerful version of the standard laser power pack. It uses a more expensive and less robust power matrix, with the advantage that it can force more power through a standard laser weapon. However, the risk of burning out the weapon or exhausting the pack itself is much greater than with the standard pack

so, theoretically, you can hot-shot a hellgun :D
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

biggreengribbly

Quote from: greenstuff_gav on November 27, 2011, 11:23:04 PM

The question is - would it be more, or less safe for the operator than a plasma weapon?  ;D

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: greenstuff_gav on November 27, 2011, 11:23:04 PMso, theoretically, you can hot-shot a hellgun
Funnily enough, this came up in our last Rogue Trader session. Clepsydra uses a hellgun, but rather than using a backpack power unit, she uses a variant which uses regular las-cells. (It saves weight, although it does mean having to reload and reduced effectiveness versus heavier armour.)

But, anyway, when we went searching in a facility armoury for spare ammo, Shirley decided we found some hotshot packs there (I asked if he actually meant hotshot, and he finally decided that he did), so at some point I'm going to find an excuse to do just that.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Myriad

Quote from: biggreengribbly on November 28, 2011, 01:56:48 PM
Quote from: greenstuff_gav on November 27, 2011, 11:23:04 PM

The question is - would it be more, or less safe for the operator than a plasma weapon?  ;D

Well, ordinarily las-weapons are among the safest, kinda a selling point.  I'd guess probably you'd run more of a risk of shorting the weapon out rather than injuring yourself.  Of course, the end result can be similar in some situations.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Stormgrad

I think the thing with Hot Shot packs is simply that the cell your using transfers more power in one go, the thing i think is potentially burning out the cell as opposed to the weapon

Adlan

Las Barrels wear out too, a higher energy shot will wear them out faster, as seen in Gaunts Ghosts.