Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Phil's Hrud

Started by phil-o-mat, April 04, 2011, 05:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dolnikan

It could be that you have discovered a way to turn back time with your camera.

I think I should give some more feedback to be rewarded with more pictures. The sleeve looks good, for corrections I would use the smallest granularity I could find. When I jsut started modelling I once made the mistake of taking some of my parent's sandpaper, It was however far too rough, the poor plastic space marine got some serious battle damge there.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

MarcoSkoll

The abrasive you use is dependent on the material. When I have it available, I tend to use one of my Dremel's diamond grinding bits, but when I don't...
120 grit sandpaper is workable with softer putties, because they tend to resist filing/abrasion more. For harder materials, you want to go finer (unless you have very rough work to clean up) - I keep 320 for such a purpose.

However, my currently preferred "unpowered" solution is to use a craft knife and carefully cut or scrape down imperfections. You have to work carefully to avoid leaving little nicks in the putty, and blend in any "vertices" left around the edge of cuts, but it works quite well - and it's a lot less fiddly than trying to hold and use a tiny square of sandpaper.
(Although, it's best suited for convex surfaces and elastic putties. Some concave surfaces will demand sandpaper, and I imagine Milliput would crumble.)

After filing/scraping/sanding, I sometimes polish the surface of the putty up again with a soft rag to remove the scrape marks - they don't look very good on photos.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

phil-o-mat

real life was a real pain in the azz for the last months, so i had no time for the important things of life.
but last weekend, i remembered some projects. especially this one:

just added some corpse armour, a big, ugly weapon and some details.

i hope, i can finish the sculpting before weekend...

Mordenkenain

When you're tidying it up, put some attention into the right arm, there's a couple of little krooks in the shape that don't look intentional

otherwise, niiiiiiiiice
Bonis Nocet Quisquis Malis Pepercit

Zakkeg

Love the fusil. What parts have you used? (I see the end of a gauss flayer and... some kind of flamer tank? Possibly attached to the body of a shoota?)
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper; only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

phil-o-mat

the fusil is made of quovandius' gun (i removed the stock, grip and skull), the flamer tank is from the dreadknight and you were right, the muzzle is from a gauss flayer.