Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

lengthening 1/35 models

Started by Shannow, April 06, 2011, 06:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shannow

I recently got some 1/35 gundam bandai models off ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140525996002&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

and plan to have them as a group of void borns who are very thin and pale, but I want to make them up to normal height, they sit about 50mm at the moment and I was wondering if anyone had tips on how to lengthen them?

I was thinking of adding to the abdomen just above the waist but I'm not sure if it would look out of proportion and should fiddle with the legs too?

Any advice is good advice; e.g. 'Never give an angry monkey a banana'
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Shannow on April 06, 2011, 06:16:35 PMAny advice is good advice
- Don't eat yellow snow.
- An ordinance technician at a dead run outranks everybody.
- Don't whistle while eating blancmange.
- Eat a live frog for breakfast and your day can only improve!
- Never play Russian roulette with a semi-automatic.

QuoteI was thinking of adding to the abdomen just above the waist but I'm not sure if it would look out of proportion and should fiddle with the legs too?
I'd add to the legs and arms before the torso. Voidborn are often a bit gangly like that, and they shouldn't look quite like a regular planet born human.

Also, disproportionately short legs will give any model the visual illusion of being shorter than they actually are (because short people tend to have proportionally shorter limbs) so lengthening the torso alone may actually make the model look shorter!
Oddly, one of my tallest looking models is the WIP Maya. She's not actually the tallest, but I gave her proportionally longer legs, and with high heels adding to the illusion she can look several millimetres taller than she actually is.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Backyardpatrol

Upscaling them is gonna be a P.I.T.A. I'll trade you Inquisitor parts for those sprues, they came with a really expensive vehicle and I don't want to but it just to get them!

Shannow

I like to think you eat a frog everyday now Marco...while wearing a jester hat...

You'll have to explain p.i.t.a to me backyard  ??? And I'm not sure what your saying about a vehicle? Just 5 figures with the gundam sprue

can't do anything with them till get back to Bristol anyway but thanks for tips :)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Adlan

Quote from: Shannow on April 06, 2011, 10:28:25 PM
I like to think you eat a frog everyday now Marco...while wearing a jester hat...

You'll have to explain p.i.t.a to me backyard  ??? And I'm not sure what your saying about a vehicle? Just 5 figures with the gundam sprue

can't do anything with them till get back to Bristol anyway but thanks for tips :)

Explaining would be a real Pain In The Arse.

Backyardpatrol

They came with this vehicle:

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN948085

Quotethey came with a really expensive vehicle and I don't want to but it just to get them!

I should have said I don't want to BUY it just to get them!

Nudge-nudge

They have to be around 52mm's to the top of their heads, to scale them up to GW's 60mm models (Barret scale 54mm) means they'd have to change proportions totally.

Why not start with some 54mm academy figures which will put you better in the ball park? These are too expensive, but seem to be a better starting point.
http://www.michtoy.com/item-PRS-63900-Adam.html
Historex makes a similar kit for a better price:
https://www.historexagents.com/shop/hxproductdetail.php?ProductCode=30362

Aurelius 12

Curses it was you who beat me!

I expect photographs of them though, they looked like they had quite a bit of potential as npcs.
And the Saint did weep when she saw how lost the people were. Seven tears fell upon Gomorrah. Seven tears to wash away their sin. A deluge of heavenly tears drowned their world in an ocean of forgiveness. The people cleansed in a sea of nuclear fire.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Backyardpatrol on April 06, 2011, 11:20:43 PMThey have to be around 52mm's to the top of their heads, to scale them up to GW's 60mm models (Barret scale 54mm) means they'd have to change proportions totally.
GW's models aren't 60mm on average. The Eldar ranger is one of the tallest models, but still doesn't quite make that mark.

Also, I don't see that they necessarily have to made up to all the height of a typical Inquisitor model. Not everyone is the same height in the first place, but if they're all void born, perhaps they grew up on a freighter where the artificial gravity was above 1 G, stunting their growth.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Backyardpatrol

I forgot about bronze age:

http://www.bronzeagemin.com/miniatures_html/54MM/54mm%20generics/Male%20Generics/54mm-Generic-males-1.htm

Maybe a little more buff but definetly closer in scale, and Dave is a great seller!

Myriad

Marco makes a good point.  According to wikipedia, the average height varies between countries by up to a metre at the two extremes.  Given the vastly more varied environments withing the imperium, and it's sheer size, you can easily justify unusually small/ large individuals.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Kaled

Quote from: Backyardpatrol on April 06, 2011, 11:20:43 PM
They came with this vehicle:

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN948085
I've only just followed that link and rather like that vehicle.  Does anyone know how big it is?  Is it big enough to work in Inquisitor?  It looks like it could be 40k-ified without too much effort.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

biggreengribbly

Quote from: Backyardpatrol on April 07, 2011, 01:06:06 PM
I forgot about bronze age:

http://www.bronzeagemin.com/miniatures_html/54MM/54mm%20generics/Male%20Generics/54mm-Generic-males-1.htm

Maybe a little more buff but definetly closer in scale, and Dave is a great seller!

A quick warning about the Bronze Age generics. The females at least, for I have no experience of the males, are teeny tiny compared to =][= figures. Barely over 50mm, and only just topping the shoulders of one of the Devout's (one of the smaller and slighter =][= figures to my knowledge?)

Shannow

I have been looking at the bronze age figures, and they do seem a little slight, BUT this is again covered by the above discussion of height variability I think, plus the sisters are wearing 8 inch stilletos  :P

I think I will order a few and have a play anyway and let you all know

Time to die.

Backyardpatrol

QuoteA quick warning about the Bronze Age generics. The females at least, for I have no experience of the males, are teeny tiny compared to =][= figures. Barely over 50mm, and only just topping the shoulders of one of the Devout's (one of the smaller and slighter =][= figures to my knowledge?)

The males on the second page of the generics are good, if you go by the ruler next to them. I'm using them for Brood brothers; yeah, females are largely 1/35th.

QuoteI've only just followed that link and rather like that vehicle.  Does anyone know how big it is?  Is it big enough to work in Inquisitor?  It looks like it could be 40k-ified without too much effort.

I found this build story: http://fichtenfoo.net/forum/index.php?topic=6088.0

There are some pictures of 1/35th figures on the page: might be cool for a servitor driven hovercraft.  I might could dig mine out of storage if you need it.

Shannow

Many if them are crouching as well putting them a good few millimetres higher than the ruler measurement. I'm ordering one of females so will see how turns out, and thanks to an ongoing trade with backyard I should have an inquisitor model for a decent comparison  :)

Time to die.