Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Stuff I'm Working On

Started by Lucidum, April 17, 2011, 12:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucidum

Okay, I know I'm not particularly well known on here, and haven't posted anything in Painting and Modeling yet, unfortunately I'm bound to a bit of a budget, so a lot of my ideas rarely make it out of the planning and character creation stage of development. So I thought I'd take a moment and post some stuff I've come up with to try and decide what to actually build for a full warband.

Inquisitor Solace Bastille's Ordo Malleus warband is my first idea, containing puritan Inquisitor Solace Bastille, a priest of the Ecchlisiarchy who's name I have yet to make up, her Interrogator apprentice Rigel Derringer, and Colonel Ludwig Faust of the Death Korps of Krieg. For those of you who remember me posting Solace Bastille's bio a ways back, don't worry, she'll be re-written to make more sense :P

Next is the Radical Xenos-Hybris Inquisitor Absalom Kite, obsessed with the tyranids and declared a heretic for his beliefs. He is accompanied by rogue Heretek Biologis Genetor Morrow, a mad scientist prone to gene splicing and disturbing experiments; in turn accompanied by Lab Servitor 42, a technical servitor geared towards lab work who makes a surprisingly good meat shield/ad-hoc bodyguard. And then there is Subject 23/Theta- an obscene hybrid of tyranid and human, a virtual frankenstein's monster of twisted flesh and horrible alien gribblyness.

Lastly there is the Blood Pact Insertion Team, a specialized unit consisting of several blood pact troopers, a couple of mutant lackeys, and a single Loxatl. They have their own background and organization, but are something of an evil version of units like the "Gereon Mission" Tanith First and Only; ergo, each has their own background story and is an iconic character, yet they are very much part of the same unit and army structure. They're sent on the most dangerous missions behind enemy lines and away from the main battlefields/planets, and are a source of major concern for the Inquisition.

In addition I'm also working on a small Tau warband and a genestealer cult. I may have bitten off more than I can chew, but I would like your guys' feedback and some suggestions on which warband to start work on as a whole.

Kaled

I'd have thought Inquisitor Bastille and warband would be the place to start as she seems most developed. That said, I'd be interested to see your take on a 'stealer cult - and as I'm in the process of painting my Tau, I'd be interested to see how you do yours.

The Blood Pact insertion team sounds more suited to Killteam rather than Inquisitor, but the other warbands sound good.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Lucidum

Quote from: Kaled on April 17, 2011, 08:30:09 AM
I'd have thought Inquisitor Bastille and warband would be the place to start as she seems most developed. That said, I'd be interested to see your take on a 'stealer cult - and as I'm in the process of painting my Tau, I'd be interested to see how you do yours.

The Blood Pact insertion team sounds more suited to Killteam rather than Inquisitor, but the other warbands sound good.

Eh, Inquisitor Bastille got some....pretty bad reactions when I first posted stuff, but then again i tried to make her too many things at once (y'know...inquisitor assassin sister of battle X3) Besides, it may be tempting to do Inquisitor Absalom Kite and his radical Ordo Xenos warband to tie in with the stealer cult, do two awesome warbands at once.

And admittedly, the blood pact insertion team is solely because I really love the Loxatl and wanna make a huge inquisitor scale one >w<

MarcoSkoll

Many of the ideas involved were good but, yes, you did try to make her too many things at once.

First a Sororita, then a Callidus, then finally an Inquisitor, as well as being transgender... all fair things on their own - except the Callidus, I suppose, who is rather too formidable to be a player character - but a bit schizophrenic and disjointed together.

Having thought about it a bit more since my admittedly somewhat disrespectful original comments, it is welcome to see people who are willing to look at characters who fall into a minority outside the Western standard of  "Caucasian, straight, and mostly male", but I think you let her being transgender have too strong a bearing on her character - by that, (and I confess I am not exactly familiar with transgenderism, so excuse my uneducated perspective) I mean that having the then physically male her trying for both of the best known female careers in 40k seemed like driving the point of her gender identity a bit too hard.

I don't know exactly how one would include the transgender in Inquisitor in a way that would both feel coherent with the setting and unforced - but at the same time, just because a question is difficult doesn't mean it should go unanswered.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

Quote from: Lucidum on April 17, 2011, 09:05:54 AM
Eh, Inquisitor Bastille got some....pretty bad reactions when I first posted stuff, but then again i tried to make her too many things at once (y'know...inquisitor assassin sister of battle X3) Besides, it may be tempting to do Inquisitor Absalom Kite and his radical Ordo Xenos warband to tie in with the stealer cult, do two awesome warbands at once.
That version of Bastille had a few issues, but some good stuff too and you had plans to rework her - how did that turn out? You should do whichever warband excites you most - buy the models and get building. I often find that I get all excited about an idea but if I spend too long thinking about it then something else comes along and it gets put on the back burner (sometimes for years).

QuoteAnd admittedly, the blood pact insertion team is solely because I really love the Loxatl and wanna make a huge inquisitor scale one >w<
There are plenty of ways you could include a Loxatl without having a Killteam-style warband. It could be a bodyguard for a cult leader or even as a mercenary in the employ of a Rogue Trader.

dirkthe1

It would be very cool to see a loxatl-out of interest I've seen them modelled as beds in 40k, but how true to fluff is that? A kroxigor wouldn't be a bad place to start.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: dirkthe1 on April 17, 2011, 02:31:45 PMI've seen them modelled as beds in 40k
Four poster, bunk or an old wrought iron style? :P

GW's =I= articles

Flinty

QuoteI've seen them modelled as beds in 40k

And as easy chairs in....futuristic chameleons possibly, salamander based reptiles....humm?

Neanderthal and Proud!

Kaled

Lucidum

Yeah for the Loxatl idea i was planning on using either of these two models or , sculpting a harness with greenstuff around the midsection, adding the catfish-like feelers on the upper lip, shortening the neck on the second image if I was gonna go with that one. I was going to use Covenant's psycannon as the chest-mounted flechette blaster due to the visual similarity, and then use 40k-scale krak grenades or ammo belts for the bandolier across the harness.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what scale either of those two models are compared to inquisitor, does anyone have any idea? A loxatl is a bit larger than a man, around 8-10 feet long.

MarcoSkoll

I believe the long axis on those bases is 120mm. Working from that, they're probably about 15-20 feet long at Inquisitor scale.

GW's =I= articles

Lucidum

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on April 17, 2011, 08:39:44 PM
I believe the long axis on those bases is 120mm. Working from that, they're probably about 15-20 feet long at Inquisitor scale.
Hm, that could actually work. Loxatl are mentioned in the background as being matriarchal. In nature the breeding female of a group is often larger by some extent. I could make it the matriarch of a Loxatl brood-group.

Kaled

The problem with doing that is they'd be too big to work on a lot of boards - I have enough trouble with my ogryn on a 80mm base. You want a loxatl to be able to crawl and climb anywhere and having a model/base that big would restrict where they can go.

dirkthe1

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on April 17, 2011, 02:44:03 PM
Quote from: dirkthe1 on April 17, 2011, 02:31:45 PMI've seen them modelled as beds in 40k
Four poster, bunk or an old wrought iron style? :P

Proof that predictive text whilst typing on a phone is not always right.

I have seen them modeled as bipeds, and wondered how this fitted with fluff? all i have seen has them as a salamander/kommodo dragon type It would also alleviate the issues of base size.

MarcoSkoll

Ah, now that makes me think. On the note of possible models, have you considered either heavy conversion of a Kroxigor (if you would rather it were a quadruped), or tweaking a Salamander?

Both are a bit scalier than the pictures, but could work.

GW's =I= articles