Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Complete Shaiyleigh - Traitor Inquisitor (Possessed Host)

Started by Inquisitor Dionzi, April 19, 2011, 10:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dolnikan

So, if I understand it correctly somewhere in your house you will have a pile of cut off faces?

I really like the work on the model so far, the tyranid hand is a good fit for the arm.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Ulgavitch

QuoteSo, if I understand it correctly somewhere in your house you will have a pile of cut off faces?

There are only certain forums where a comment like this would not get you arrested....

I didn't see what was so bad about that face, frankly. Did you add the lips and eyes before discarding it?

Inquisitor Dionzi

Yeah, I did, Vichy. I even managed to give her a bit of a smirk. Trouble was that the head became about half the size of the torso and was no-where near realistic enough for my tastes. I'm considering an alternative head design - I'll post it up once I have the sketches done. Basically, I'll put a wrap across her eyes (I hate sculpting eyes), and do something different with her hair. But, as I say, sketches first  ::)

Edit: As promised, here are my concept sketches for this second head-concept.

SKYFALL MINIATURES

Ulgavitch

I love the sketches - I wish I could draw...

That will be an improvement on the previous one, I can't wait to see it. The visor is a really good addition. My two euro's worth would be for the drawing with the neck corset, it definitely seems more 40k to me.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Ulgavitch on May 21, 2011, 04:04:44 PMI love the sketches - I wish I could draw...
Then go and try. It's acquired by practice, not via a fairy godmother.

Quote from: Inquisitor Dionzi on May 20, 2011, 04:16:26 PMI hate sculpting eyes
This might be because you're doing them in an inside out order. I've tried several ways of doing them over time, but none of them has had me doing the eyeballs after the eyelids.

The two methods that have worked reasonably well for me is doing the eyeballs first and then folding the lids over later, or (as I'm currently experimenting with) poking in the corners with a fine needle, then pressing in the definition between eyeball and eyelid (sort of doing both in one).

The latter wouldn't work so well if you prefer to do faces in several stages (as opposed to all in one as I do), but if you're finding eyes tough as they are, it could be worth trying something different.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on May 22, 2011, 02:45:23 AM
The two methods that have worked reasonably well for me is doing the eyeballs first and then folding the lids over later,

i'm trying a similar technique at the moment; sculpted the shape, let it dry, eyeball, let it dry, just done the eyelids and it's better'n my previous attempts :)
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Dolnikan

Your drawing isn't bad at all, it looks quite good, I especially like the expression on the second sketch.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Inquisitor Dionzi

Thanks Dol. It was just a fast tear-off so I could get the concept up for approval by the 'Clave. :)
SKYFALL MINIATURES

precinctomega

I always sculpt faces starting from a skull shape into which I add eyeballs, musculature, lips and suchlike.

R.

Inquisitor Dionzi

Just as an FYI, I'll be moving the images on this link to my new site (once it's set up by the webhost) at www.skyfallminiatures.com . It'll take a couple days for the basics to be put together, but I think I've found myself a decent graphic designer for the new site, so things should move swiftly :)

/Dio
SKYFALL MINIATURES

Dolnikan

I look forwards to seeing the site, I always like sites with pictures of nice models.

Inquisitor Dionzi

So, here's the new head, such as it is: I'm concerned it's too small for the body.  The eyes and much of the nose will be covered by a vision shield (see above), and the bulk of the head will be filled out with brown stuff, for hair.

I'm still not sure what to do with the neck: a collar will be too finicky to sculpt, I think.
SKYFALL MINIATURES

Shannow

I think the head size is good, but the neck looks far too long to me?

Looking good all over though and looking forward to hair!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Inquisitor Dionzi

Shaiyleigh, as far as I'm willing to go, anyway, is complete! Took me 4 attempts on the head...and the rejects have been put into a sprue for later production.

You'll see a tendril of hair over her left shoulder. That's as much to stabilize the head as an affectation of her barely-remaining femininity.

SKYFALL MINIATURES

Dolnikan

She looks very nice. Could you make a close-up of the shoulder mount?