Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Zophar/Sarthuul

Started by Brother_Brimstone, February 26, 2010, 10:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother_Brimstone

Yeah, I agree, my original idea was for it to be a regular looking sword, but which glowed blue with power. The lfuff reason I had planned was that because Sarthuul's entire existence reviolves around deception, it only makes sense that he is deceptively like a normal sword. Also, the distortion that would occur in the sword has instead occurred in Zophar's face - that's why he always wears a gas mask, he has a horribly mutated face. Zophar is able to represss it for short periods though - while he is out in public, but when he is private with the cults, he uses his face to prove the power of chaos. The distortion being in Zophar rather than the sword is yet another expression of the fact that Zophar and Sarthuul are basically inseparably bound - Zophar's own body is being warped by Sarthuul's presence.

Maybe I could say that either his face is mutated, or he can transfer the mutation to the sword for short periods. Thus in Imperial territory, he transfers the mutation from face to sword, and returns to normal when he's in private (or can explain the mask).

Ferran

I think that explanation is very suiting, a kind of Dorian Gray situation. The sword stays ever immaculate where the weilder grows rotten.

Brother_Brimstone

I'd never thought of that comparison, but it's brilliant!

I'd actually always planned for Zophar to have a mutated face, simply as a sort of mark of the fact that he's been contaminated, both in body and mind, by the forces of chaos - I just never really found a place where it would be appropriate to mention his face in the backstory, seeing as it 99% preludes him finding the sword, and clearly the degeneration has occured over time.

Right, so for the sword, i can just take, any generic 1/35th (or possible actual Inquisitor made) sword, and then when it comes to painting, i'll either mix some blue with the silver, mix some blue in with some gloss varnish or give the silver sword a blue wash (or any combination of the above - i want the 'vaguely glowing' effect, not just a really blue sword) and voila, a glowing blue daemonic sword.

Thanks for the ongoing suggestions and help, Zophar/Sarthuul is beginning to really shape up!

EDIT: speaking of shaping up - i've added the changes suggested to Zophar's profile, they're in red so they're easily seen, and i've given fluffy reasons for all of them.

MarcoSkoll

My suggestion would be to mix blue into the shading colour of the sword (or potentially the highlights). If the blue shows up in one end of the shade spectrum but not the other, it'll come across as more of a glow rather than a solid blue-ish metal.

Quote from: Brother_Brimstone on February 27, 2010, 11:49:47 PMMaybe I could say that either his face is mutated, or he can transfer the mutation to the sword for short periods.
Alternatively, you could have a Jedi mind trick situation:
"What's up with the gas mask?"
"The mask is nothing, pay no heed to it."

Just a possibility, and maybe a more interesting one - while he can brush off the questions of a casual weak-willed citizen, he has to be careful to avoid the attention of those with stronger minds.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Brother_Brimstone

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on February 28, 2010, 01:25:44 AM
Alternatively, you could have a Jedi mind trick situation:
"What's up with the gas mask?"
"The mask is nothing, pay no heed to it."

Just a possibility, and maybe a more interesting one - while he can brush off the questions of a casual weak-willed citizen, he has to be careful to avoid the attention of those with stronger minds.

That's absolutely brilliant! I'd never even thoguht of that. In fact, his 'enforce will' power would completely explain WHY he's able to tell them to pay his mask no heed!

I was actually rather struggling to justify why he was able to return his face to normal seeing as the point of his corrupted face is to mark his tainted soul - but this completely eliminates that difficulty!

Thanks so much!

(Also, thanks for the painting tip - that sounds good - i'll probably combine that with mixing a very small amount of blue in with the gloss varnish i use on the sword - it's a trick i used on Skaven warplock engineers to represent the energy crackling over their implants and it looks quite nice - in the right light you see blue, but its very faint, and of course, shiny because of the varnish).

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Brother_Brimstone on February 28, 2010, 01:30:46 AMThat's absolutely brilliant! I'd never even thought of that.
No problem. That's the beauty of a forum - it allows you to pick other people's brains for ideas...

Quote...mixing a very small amount of blue in with the gloss varnish I use on the sword - in the right light you see blue, but its very faint, and of course, shiny because of the varnish.
I might have to try that one myself. I've not used tinted varnishes before, but I might have an opportunity to try them depending on how I decide to do a certain model I've got in the works.

... anyway, I believe I should be going to bed at this point, given that it's pretty much two in the morning.

S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles