Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Seldon's acolytes

Started by Kaled, April 23, 2011, 01:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaled

I never much liked my model for Inquisitor Benedict Helios Seldon, but his loyal stormtrooper Lillith Polanski was always a favourite who never got used much.  (The third member of the warband was the Squat, Thorgrim Hargir.)  Also, since Dark Heresy came out I've fancied a warband of acolytes.  The solution was obvious - sideline Inquisitor Seldon and have Lillith lead a team of acolytes - hence these guys and gals.

So far they don't have names, and I should have taken photos before I basecoated them but nevermind...

Valkyrie Pilot

Flamer Gal

Void-born Administrator

Acolyte

I'll talk more about them later - I'm running late as it is.

Hope you like them,
Dave
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

precinctomega

I'm sure I speak for many when I ask for more details on the source models, especially that of the Flamer Girl (Sister of the Apocalypse?) and the administrator.

R.

Shannow

Quote from: precinctomega on April 23, 2011, 01:37:42 PM
I'm sure I speak for many when I ask for more details on the source models, especially that of the Flamer Girl (Sister of the Apocalypse?) and the administrator.

R.

You do indeed speak for  many, they look like excellent bases for many a conversion. Looking good and look forward to seeing them painted.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Ulgavitch

Dave, I know the void-born are 'posed to look a little ethereal and strange - but that administrator looks like he moon-lights as a vampire for the weekends!

I certainly wouldn't want to ask to have a form signed by him (actually, maybe that's the point.)

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: precinctomega on April 23, 2011, 01:37:42 PMI'm sure I speak for many when I ask for more details on the source models
Star Wars figures.

In order, I'd guess a Rebel Pilot, Padme, Utapauian, and Lando Calrissian.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Shannow

Anyone got a link for where to browse these?

FYI Marci, this is where 'Marco knows everything' comes from  :P
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Heroka Vendile

they all look very promising figures, I was thinking that might have been based on the LotR figurines that some folks have used previously, but now Marco has said Star Wars I can see it clearly. Are they based from action figures or what?
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Stormgrad

i love the void born and i feel i may have to revisit my plans for one of my future projects now i know this model exists

SpanielBear

The Acolyte/Lando conversion is excellent, it works really well. I get a kind of GrimDark P.I. feel from it- rather than a fedora and trench coat, a cloak and puritan hat.
"From the second she walked into my office, I knew she'd be trouble. She spun me a line about mutants snatching a necklace, but somehow I knew that before the night was over, I'd be knee deep in heresy..."
Have Fun, Stay Sane, Enjoy the Madness

kierkegaard

Dave - if these are the cheap Star Wars figures you mentioned the other day, I'm sure most of us would like to know where you got them. They look great so far. I look forward to seeing them finished.

Kaled

Yes, they are indeed DeAgostini Star Wars collectable miniatures - they come really badly painted but it's easy enough to strip the paint off. I have a few more that I haven't yet done anything with - I'm thinking Palpatine would make a good mysterious contact or maybe a robed Inquisitor and Zam Wesell might end up as a version of Kaede Mack. I got them on eBay for £1.50 each plus P&P. I didn't say before where they were from as I wanted to make sure I'd 40k-ified them sufficiently for it not to be obvious that they're Star Wars characters.

There were two other points to me making them - the first was a conversation I had with someone about there not being many good 54mm sci-fi models that can fit into the GW universe. Hopefully with this warband I've shown that that is not the case; that it's easy to convert characters from another universe fit 40k. The second point was that playing Inquisitor at 54mm doesn't have to be expensive - this warband cost less than £10 and was make using (mostly) 28mm bits and easily available 54mm ones - the kind of things most people have in their bits box. It didn't require much in the way of modelling skill to convert them and should be easily within the ability of almost anyone to do something similar.

Now to paint them...

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Kaled on April 23, 2011, 05:54:33 PMThey come really badly painted...
... but as you say, easy enough to strip. The bigger issue is therefore sculpting/moulding quality - any words of wisdom?

QuoteI wanted to make sure I'd 40k-ified them sufficiently for it not to be obvious that they're Star Wars characters.
Well, sorry to foil your plan. :P

To be honest, I might not have noticed if it weren't for the Utapauian (after that, the others suddenly started to look a lot more familiar), but that collar and shoulder really do stand out... if you'd posted it before the undercoating, I might have suggested you do something to change its shape (say studded edging, or something), but I guess you'll find some more ways to hide it with the painting anyway.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

I figure they can't be too obviously Star Wars if people didn't spot them immediately. I thought Lando and Padme might get spotted straight away, but I'm pretty sure that once painted they'll be fine.

The sculpting is okay - not as nice as Andrea models, not even as nice as GW stuff - but not too bad. The faces don't always look like the actors but that's not really problem for us, and the weapons aren't great but again that's not a problem. The rest of the detail is a bit coarse bit it's more than fine as a base for further conversion.

precinctomega

So what search did you do on eBay to find these?  If I search for "Star Wars miniatures" I end up with 111 pages of Star Wars CMG rubbish (great game, BTW - just rubbish minis).

R.

Kaled

Try 'DeAgostini Star Wars' or 'De Agostini Star Wars'. They did a collection of vehicles as well as characters but I think there were about 50 in the series of characters.

EDIT: There's a list of the releases in the collection here;
http://www.planetadeagostini.com.ar/detail.php?wrkId=49&tDisp=ent&pag=0