Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Den's Piktuur Thread!

Started by Denzein, April 24, 2011, 10:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denzein

Well, as promised I have pictures (some, at least.) Featured here in this very thread are:

-Inquisitor Tiberius Augustus Caligula Harsch, Ordo Malleus and incognito Illuminati.

...And the back:

++++

-Ashrah, Eldar exile.

++++

-Hysh, rogue Eldar Warlock.

...Aaaaand the back:

++++

-Some NPC I made from an old warband that has no place here. I dare not even speak its name. Suffice to say it's a model.

Feel free to judge me with all the divine might you see fit to muster, I'm under no illusions that I'm hardly 'eavy Metal stock. The only part of any of the models above I didn't paint myself is Harsch's normal eye, and a big shout out to Wubblewoo (you know who you are, although you'll probably never read this) for that.

I'll put up my other models once the warband's finished. It's the Slaaneshi cult, the models are painted worse though. I've recently undergone a steep learning curve you see, and sort of left all my models in the dust. They'll be up here when I can find the time to put them up though, "for completeness" as Matt Ward would say. Don't expect conversions though, as you have probably guessed by now the most I can stretch to is the odd headswap here, or weaponswap there. Maybe I'll improve that once I can paint...

Other angles on the boys above are on my deviantart, which in case I'm forbidden from linking you all to is the same name as here, just put "denzein" in the place of the www, and you'll get my page.

<3

Purveyor of the finest quality lies, half-truths and betrayals.

Kaled

You can link to deviantart if you like.

It's a nice collection - the warlock is my favourite, he's a nice conversion but I do wonder why he has a scabbard but no sword?
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Flinty

Very nice, I really like the effect on the Eldar cloaks, and a nice Warlock head!
Neanderthal and Proud!

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Denzein on April 24, 2011, 10:28:58 PMFeel free to judge me with all the divine might you see fit to muster, I'm under no illusions that I'm hardly 'eavy Metal stock.
I can't do much in the way of critique, I'm afraid. My painting skill is around the "How do people manage to get those hairy tipped sticks to put the pigments somewhere other than all over their fingers?" level (but at least I've progressed past the "other than all over the walls" stage), so you're quite comfortably ahead of me on that front.

What I can say on the modelling and conversion side of things is that it's often about the kitbash - buying several reasonably compatible models, then mixing and matching parts for lolz, finish by filling any gaps with green stuff. You've certainly got the dexterity necessary for the job.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Hadriel Caine

The warlock is superb in concept and execution! I like the painting of this lot. Very cool :)
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

JoelMcKickass

HOLY POOP THAT IS A MODEL?

WHAT THE EFF!

You guys should make me do a breathaliser before i come here.

precinctomega

I love the Warlock in particular.  Is the head sculpted from scratch?

Echo Dave's comment about him having a scabbard but no sword, though.  Non-afficionados might not notice, but we enthusiasts make a point of looking out for that sort of thing (like I'll always comment on a character with a pistol but no obvious place to put it when he needs his hands...

Which brings me to the dual-storm-bolter-wielding Inquisitor.  He looks absolutely awesome, and I'm kind of hoping that those don't actually count as storm bolters (a bit small for that, plus would be monstrously killy in the game!), but some sort of gesture to the impracticalities of stowing them would be good.  I'd suggest a curved piece of wire on the inside back of each pistol for them to be clipped to his belt.

R.

Denzein

Quote from: Kaled on April 24, 2011, 10:52:19 PM
You can link to deviantart if you like.

It's a nice collection - the warlock is my favourite, he's a nice conversion but I do wonder why he has a scabbard but no sword?

Thanks, I just didn't want to do it then get my wrist slapped 'cuss it was advertising or something... I couldn't face filing away all that scabbard and then thinking of something for the other hand to be doing, so I count it as a short sword. It's a bodge job I know, but I'd never have pulled off removing it and not ruining the model.

Quote from: Flinty on April 24, 2011, 11:32:27 PM
Very nice, I really like the effect on the Eldar cloaks, and a nice Warlock head!

Thanks! I'm thinking of redoing them together so they look more similar, at the moment they're very different. Perhaps that's better though, I don't really know. Thoughts?

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on April 24, 2011, 11:34:45 PM
What I can say on the modelling and conversion side of things is that it's often about the kitbash - buying several reasonably compatible models, then mixing and matching parts for lolz, finish by filling any gaps with green stuff. You've certainly got the dexterity necessary for the job.

That sounds like a good way to go. I usually buy models as the money comes in, which means I get them one at a time more often than not. There's a tech-priest coming in the second wave of pictures of the only instance I've done a real kit bash, so wait and see. You'll get your chance to judge, don't you worry lol...

Quote from: Hadriel Caine on April 25, 2011, 01:44:40 AM
The warlock is superb in concept and execution! I like the painting of this lot. Very cool :)

Thanks!

Quote from: JoelMcKickass on April 25, 2011, 01:34:37 PM
HOLY POOP THAT IS A MODEL?

WHAT THE EFF!

You guys should make me do a breathaliser before i come here.

Thanks! I... Think...? It's actually three models, if we're going to get really technical ;D

Quote from: precinctomega on April 25, 2011, 02:25:57 PM
I love the Warlock in particular.  Is the head sculpted from scratch?

Echo Dave's comment about him having a scabbard but no sword, though.  Non-afficionados might not notice, but we enthusiasts make a point of looking out for that sort of thing (like I'll always comment on a character with a pistol but no obvious place to put it when he needs his hands...

Which brings me to the dual-storm-bolter-wielding Inquisitor.  He looks absolutely awesome, and I'm kind of hoping that those don't actually count as storm bolters (a bit small for that, plus would be monstrously killy in the game!), but some sort of gesture to the impracticalities of stowing them would be good.  I'd suggest a curved piece of wire on the inside back of each pistol for them to be clipped to his belt.

Thanks! The Warlock's head is actually an Avatar head with the massive bits carved off, the face sculpted over and a bit of Wraithlord stuck on the back. I was pleasantly surprised, all in all.

As I've said above the scabbard is representative of a shortsword, and as I've said before I'm not too happy with that either. I just don't think I'd be able to remove the scabbard without ruination.

LOL those definitely aren't storm-bolters. They're bolt pistols loaded with Kraken penetrator rounds, which isn't a whole lot better I'll admit, but they're symbolic to the fluff (which will be put up once I find the time). I agree about the massive problems that arise from storing such monsters, and I was kind of stuck for ideas when it came to it and had an itch to paint in cool tones for once (can you tell?). Some clips is a sound idea, once I find ome suitably thin wire I'll do that.

Shannow

Quote from: Denzein on April 25, 2011, 03:36:11 PM
I couldn't face filing away all that scabbard and then thinking of something for the other hand to be doing, so I count it as a short sword. It's a bodge job I know, but I'd never have pulled off removing it and not ruining the model.

If you just add a hilt to the scabbard it will be a sheathed sword!  :) Truly very lovely models and as many have said the farseer is fantastic
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

DapperAnarchist

Or say that its significant to the character - a sword abandoned or lost until such a time as yadda yadda...  ;D
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

axiom

Great looking Warlock conversion. The helmet looks deceptively simple (but I can just imagine all the cutting and filling involved. Nice spear too :)

Denzein

Quote from: axiom on April 26, 2011, 06:54:05 AM
Great looking Warlock conversion. The helmet looks deceptively simple (but I can just imagine all the cutting and filling involved. Nice spear too :)

You have no idea. The head bone's attached to the torso-bone, the ear bone's attached to the head bone, the wraithlord's a totally different model I didn't actually own beforehand...

It was yucky, but it looks good now.

precinctomega

Quotethe head bone's attached to the torso-bone, the ear bone's attached to the head bone

Now heeeear the word of the Lord!!

R.

Lucaren

hey den just looking at these makes me think 1 minor thing (although i will be able to tell properly if i'm right or not when i see them in the flesh :P ) some of your bases (Hysh and tiberius) have paint around the rims and in my opinion just putting a nice neutral colour round the rim to really clean up the model makes it look clean and complete, as i say there all looking ace but thats just one minor point that i noticed :P