Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Wheel-chair bound dude with rifle (WIP)

Started by explorator, May 02, 2011, 12:50:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

explorator

I was inspired by the wheelchair Inquisitor on page 148 of the rulebook.  I made my wheelchair a little more stout than the one pictured, and left off any kind of mounted weapons.  I am still trying to get a handle on what role this guy might fill, I was thinking Rouge Trader or maybe Crime Boss.

His head is from an Ogre Kingdoms Butcher and his rifle is from the old Ork Truk kit (I think).  The scope came off a Dwarf telescope piece, and I think it looks like a weird laser scope.  The chair was a Zzap gun carriage that I built up and added a panel from an Ork killer-kan.  I tried to make it look like the chair has automatic and manual back-up controls.

First a few pics of the chair which is nearly built.

Now with the guy.

Different posture.

I welcome any criticism or comments.  The guy still needs extensive green stuff which is coming soon.  I can't decide which posture I prefer, I one where he is more casual, or the one where appears to be firing more or less forward.  Just look at the size of the magazine on that firearm, the rounds would be huge!

Shannow

Totally awesome, if somewhat restricted to ramps  ::)

Are you gone to greenstuff an obvious leg defeciency?

Given the head and massive gun, the firing pose I think, in the other ppisition I think he would have to look more relaxed with a cigar in one hand or some such.

Seriously cool though and great wheelchair!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Alyster Wick

Really, really awesome job on the wheel-chair, it looks totally top-notch.  I also love the use of the butcher head, I think I need to check them out as I'm running low on mutant heads.

One critique though is that the mini really doesn't seem to fit the chair.  The chair itself is crisp, clean and looks relatively high tech, whereas the mini looks like a rabid mutant with cannibalistic tendencies.  I would really suggest rethinking who you're having in the chair since it doesn't sound like you're married to the character yet.  It would be great for a savant or even a Lord Inquisitor who is getting close to the end of his life.

Inquisitor Dionzi

100% on the wheel chair! I agree with Wick in his/her/its :) assessment of the contrast between character and chair.  I would be hesitant to put a full-fledged rifle in a ... paraplegic's hands, perhaps a carbine or a grenade launcher, something with 1) less recoil, 2) less weight, 3) less length (long weapons when you haven't upper body strength ends up in tipping: as humorous as the image is, it's also exceptionally annoying. I've seen this happen - a client was firing his .308 calibre hunting rifle and he tipped over, despite the added weight of the chair's reinforced chassis, etc. He went face first *smack* into the ground and nearly dislocated his clavicle when he impacted the butt of the rifle.)

Beautiful chair though - If you can get resin casts of it, I think I could be arm-twisted into buying one or two!
SKYFALL MINIATURES

eyeolas

I think you should skip the middle man and have a big ol' MIU gun attached either to the back of the chair or to his shoulder, supported by the chair. This'll allow the guy in the chair to be much more at easy than trying to scramble into a gunning possition, and you could probably make him look a bit more feeble in the process.

But as has been said, the model does look exceedingly cool and I look foreward to the end product

Dolnikan

I really like the look, all I would add or change would be something on the chair to keep it upright while firing.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Trasher

First post since the old 'clave I guess..
Maybe put a Wheelie bar behind the wheel-chair?
My Nurgle Cult Thread on The Conclave
My Nurgle Cult Thread on Papa Nurgle
"Come on, daemons live in the warp. [snip] hours turn into cm, cm turn into walruses."

Molotov

I love the wheelchair, but I don't really like the occupant. I think it's the head, which to me doesn't seem to 'go'.
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

RobSkib

This is great, I love the concept behind it. This is probably my favourite wheelchair model! Maybe a whole heap of bionics, tubes and wires plugging him into the chair like some kind of life support is needed? A servo-skull, some scriptures, a big vox system and some defaced religious icons and he could be a corrupted preacher/confessor type.
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

kierkegaard

Quote from: explorator on May 02, 2011, 12:50:54 AM
I was thinking Rouge Trader

Who would want to buy their make-up from such an ugly bugger?  ;D

explorator

First of all, thank you all very much for taking the time to comment.  I really appreciate it.

Yeah, I agree that the Wheelchair is the strongest part of the model, but I am not ready to give up on the guy just yet.  The guy is much more WIP than the chair and I am hoping some green stuff will help define him.  I really like the head, so I am going to work with it.

I actually do not see him as a paraplegic, maybe just crippled in another way that keeps him from abulating.  I think the chair is study and heavy enough to support him when he fires, imagine some kind of lock or brake.   For now I am going to avoid mounting any weapons on the chair, but I have been persuaded to do a couple of mock-ups.  One of my problems with the wheelchair in the main rulebook is that some of the components look tacked on, something I am trying to avoid.

Having said that, I might try out some different weapon options for the guy, I like the idea of a grenade launcher!

If none of those solutions work, then I will try to make a different dude.

judge-minos

I Love the wheel chair so much, great job so far.

I am doing a wheelchair character too, I sculpted a plaid over his crippled legs (so I could cut them a little to give him a more straight back position)

can't wait to see him finished
;D