Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Ordo Sepulturum (previously Sicarius) Inq and Tau stealth warrior WIP!!

Started by Shannow, May 02, 2011, 07:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shannow

Though having nearly been a conclave member for a year, I have never actually modelled an Inquisitor character, having always preferred 3rd party operatives being utilised by off board shadowy inquisitor.

However I have now finally made one! After reading the bringers of death article on the Ordo Sicarius I decided I wanted to make one of them as my on board Inquisitor.

I decided to go for a creepy victorian-esque looking murder/butcher/doctor stylee based on a mini I saw aaages ago but can no longer find.

Unfortunately the sun has gone away, so I beg humble forgiveness for the picture quality, but the gist is there!

He as of yet has little background or stats, though any equipment I give him (including the pistol!) has to fit in his bag (or hat....)

C&C please!

R
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

MarcoSkoll

You've got the 40k spirit on the nose there - although do I have to say, the Plague doctor look makes me think more of the Ordo Sepulturum than the Sicarius.

Now, your sculpting is definitely improving, but I'll still share some more witterings.

The big thing is that either the torso is a little long or the arms are a little short (when held straight, the wrist is usually at the same level as the groin) and could do with some texture - sleeves that large would be a mass of folds and creases. If in doubt with fabric texture and the way it "falls", then find appropriate clothing, put it on, strike the appropriate pose and take note.

The other thing that could be done is adjusting and sharpening a few details with a modelling knife, such as the slightly irregular coat fasteners. This goes particularly if you're using solely Green Stuff, as the only way to get really sharp edges with its slightly elastic texture is to cut them in after it's set.
(Something I have learnt from using mostly Green Stuff. I know I should use a "harder" putty for harder shapes, but I'm just more used to Green Stuff, so usually opt for it when sculpting.)

EDIT: Missed out something before.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Alyster Wick

I've wanted to do a plague-doctoresque mini for a long time.  Great effort here and I definitely respect you willingness to jump in and start sculpting.  Very few folks (myself included) are able to jump in the deep end and commit to scratch building such large parts of a model.

Other than that I agree everything Marco said in terms of tweaks to make it better.  Fortunately you've done the bulk of the hard part already.  I'll just throw in that as intimidating as doing the folds in sleeves looks to be it's far easier than you'd think once you get a good bit of reference material in front of you.

Dolnikan

I really like his look, I would only try to make the nose a bit sharper.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

precinctomega

For my part, I would generally recommend reserving greenstuff for soft and organic elements of a sculpt.  For clothes and flesh, it's great.  For harder, more rigid elements, I would recommend using styrene card and/or tubes and other shapes for the areas that are symmetrical, and Milliput for areas that are inorganic but oddly shaped.  In this case, styrene would have been great for the shoulder pads  and backpack.  Milliput would have been good for the case and mask.  You could also have used it on the hat for a more rigid-looking structure if you wanted one.

Milliput is clay-based and can be easily worked with water as a burnishing medium, moreover, once dry, it files very well and can be worked back to very smooth surfaces and sharp corners.  It fell out of favour a while back but it and other clay-based sculpting media (such as Sculpey and Fimo) are becoming popular once more.

R.

Shannow

Thanks for all the comments guys!

@ Marco - I think the torso is a little long but only realised late on in the sculpt so will just have to carry that lesson oer to next one! Also completely forgot about sepulturm, had only read the name and didn't know anything about them so yes I believe that will suit better matey!

@ PO - Sadly due to lack of funds I can't always appropriate materials that I want to use (its bad enough not being able to drink a pint now and then!) But as I said to Marco above, hopefully  its advice I can take over to next  sculpt. Also the shoulder pads are  meant to be soft cloth ones, not armoured, obviously doesn't come across right :/ may have to work on them or hope paint scheme brings it out!

@ All - will fiddle with and paint then post when I can! Next project is a tau stealth suit warrior, currently has his legs done, but is entirely undecided about his feelings on the matter,,,,probably the lack of a head....

Cheers again!

R
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Inquisitor Goldeneye

Quote from: Shannow on May 02, 2011, 07:28:09 PM
...reading the bringers of death article on the Ordo Sicarius...

I can't say that I'm familiar with this article, could anyone point me in its direction?

Also, I like the Plague-Doctor as a visual concept, could this Smart Max figure be the model you were thinking of?
'A truth that's told with bad intent beats all the lies you can invent.' -  William Wordsworth.

Kaled

It's available in the usual archive (stickied at the top of the rules board).
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

kierkegaard

It is a bit blobby, lacking in sharp edges or creases, but it is a lot better than anything my sculpting ability can produce. I imagine that some sharp painting (with stark highlights) could help to hide those problems, and I look forward to seeing it painted.

blacknight

Shannow

Just a thought if you want to make the shoulder pads look like reinforce cloth or leather, for padded armour types there would generally be quilting lines accross the outer surface.  This keeps the padding evenly distributed and prevents it all bunching up at the back and so on.

The armour that slick is wearing is a fine example of this.  Another example is the empire minitures for fantasy as the puff and slash style clothing they wear is another example of padded armour (big in Germany in 15th / 16th century if you want a historical reference for it at all).

Model is looking good though, only thing I can think of on top of the above is to add a belt of some description to help define the waist a little bit.  Rather than a big chunky 40k utility belt more of the belt that is inlcuded in old mac coats and stuff.  By adjusting where you place it, there could be some degree of illusion as to where the torso starts and length of the legs etc.  (Who would have thought reading a book in the room while the Misses watches Trinny and Suzanna would actually prove useful).

Regards

Blacknight/Marc
Well you can do what you want, the technical branch are going to stay here and keep her afloat!! - Diesel CPO Otto Fricke, U505, Nov 10 1942 - On being ordered to abandon ship.

judge-minos

First I must say that I love the concept so much that I will steal the idea, especially since I have a pair of covenant legs which I Hate and would have probably stayed in the bit box to gather dust if I did not see your model.

The execution could benefit from a little trimming with a modelling knife at the coat fasteners as suggested by others and the hat. You could cut trim it going towards the inside and then putty a strip of cloth at the bottom, like this hat http://www.lynnmcmasters.com/tophat.html

Keep us posted  ;D

Shannow

Thanks for all comments guys, have been fiddling with big nose and ordered a scalpel t'other day so should be able to clean him up soon as well as this guy:

Apologies again for using flash, but grey days!

Isn't it amazing what avoiding exam revision (upon which my future depends) will make you do!

Needs lots of cleaning and he's to tall I think (are tau shorter?) He's 55mm to tip of head anyway, and varous gubbins need adding on.

Oddly I'm not a Tau fan but got playing after looking at Dave's wonderful warriors and hey ho.

C&C please

R

Time to die.

Dolnikan

He looks good, I would only try to make him a bit more angular to get more of the tau look.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.