Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Ynek's WIP - An ork made from the JMD orc bust.

Started by Ynek, August 28, 2009, 11:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ynek

Some of you may remember that I was working on an inquisitor-scale ork, which was made from the JMD orc bust that I won in the Conclave Hobby Competition.

Well, since I got my wrist out of my plaster cast, I've been working on him, and this is the stage he's at now:

"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Myriad

Love the head.  One of the two ork facial expressions well captured.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Ancelyn

Looking good, the axe is brilliant. How tall is the model? Would he fit into an ]I[nquisitor game?
To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

William Blake

Kaled

I was just thinking about this model the other day, wondering whether you'd made any progress.  I'd hoped when I saw the busts that people might do something like this with them - I forget who got the ghoul, but that was another that seemed to me like it would be very cool on a scratch built body.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Ynek

Quote from: Myriad on August 29, 2009, 11:47:15 AM
Love the head.  One of the two ork facial expressions well captured.

In all fairness, I didn't make the head. The good people at JMD miniatures did the hard part for me.

Quote from: Ancelyn on August 29, 2009, 12:04:04 PM
How tall is the model? Would he fit into an ]I[nquisitor game?

He stands at an impressive two and four fifths inches tall, making him about a head shorter than a straightened-out Artemis. He looms head and shoulders over average humans, but considering that orks are supposed to be big fellas, it seems to work out.

Quote from: Kaled on August 29, 2009, 06:35:46 PM
I forget who got the ghoul, but that was another that seemed to me like it would be very cool on a scratch built body.

Indeed. The ghoul bust is very pretty, and would make a perfect mutant, or possibly even a head for an artemis-based chaos space marine....
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Ynek

And voila.... He's done!

Now I just have to come up with a character to go with the model...

Hadriel Caine

sweet, can we get a scale shot? sorry to hear about your arm. i just painted the first thing since i broke mine too.
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Kaled

Very nice.  :)  The sculpting of his torso is mightily impressive, however I think his trousers could have done to be a bit baggier.  I love the way you've painted the axes.  If it were me though, I'd paint a few patches on his trousers, and maybe give him a few glyph tattoos to break the large areas of flesh a bit.

I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

RobSkib

Very nice sculpting, especially on the shoulders and belt. My only quibble is that the paintjob and/or the photo has made him look awfully shiny, might a coat of Matt varnish do him some good?
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Ynek

@ Adam Cunis - It's not the best photograph on the planet, but I think it illustrates the size of the model pretty well.
On the left hand side of the picture, there is a converted miniature based upon Slick Devlan, and on the right, we have a kroot mercenary, who appears to be performing some sort of summary execution on the ork in the middle.

So, in short, the ork's quite a big fella, but I think I've come pretty close to the proportions and scale for the basic ork boy.

@ Robskip - He probably could do with a coat of varnish, but to be honest, I've never used varnish on any of my models. However, there's a first time for everything...

@ Kaled - I like the idea of a few glyph tattoos to break up the rather flat-looking flesh, but I think it would be best to wait until I finalise his background before I paint them on. I'm currently toying with two very different ideas for who this ork is, and each one would have different gylphs.

One idea I had was that this ork was captured by an inquisitor, who wanted to study the creature's physiology. After being captured, the ork was chemically neutered to prevent it from being able to produce spores. This meant that wherever the inquisitor took the ork, the risk of ork spores contaminating the planet was minimal. However, when the Inquisitor arrived back at his estate, he found one of his rivals waiting for him. In the ensuing firefight, the ork managed to escape. Through a mixture of orky 'cunnin' and sheer luck, the ork managed to find his way back to his clan, but unfortunately, they were able to detect that he was no longer able to produce spores (probably through smell). Because of this, he was ridiculed as being impotent and un-orky, and after weeks of continuous jeers and abuse, he fled his clan to enact his revenge on the Inquisitor who robbed him of his orky-ness.

As far as glyphs go, I would imagine that an ork such as this would have been forcibly branded or tattooed by his clan with glyphs such as "owned by oomans" or "grot".

The other idea that I had was that he was a travelling loner, the last of his clan. A master of the choppa, he has never been bested in a fight, and he simply wanders the stars, from clan to clan, teaching orks how to fight with their choppaz in a propa' orky way (in exchange for food, a place to sleep, and lotsa teef.)

Glyphs for this character would probably revolve around fighting prowess and knowledge.

So until I get the character ideas straight in my head, the odds are that I'll lay off on the glyphs.

RobSkib

I have to say, I much prefer the first story - much more interesting and plenty of oppertunity to use him in games. It also reflects the model much better, to me he doesn't look battle-hardened enough to be an elite choppa-masta.
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

TheNephew

Love the model - as you say, the scale looks right, and I like the brutal-looking chain-choppa.
My only minor dislike is how baby-soft and smooth his skin looks.

As for the backstory, I can't say I'm overly keen on either.
For him to be a close combat master, he'd need to be at least one of two things - unreasonably skilled with his choppas, to the point where he'd severely unbalance actual games, or absolutely flopping huge [as an ork in a position of dominance will inevitably become].
For the captured-neutered-escaped-ridiculed-revenge version, it seems unlikely that he'd be able to make the necessary arrangements to travel between worlds (as he would presumably have to), or have the means to track people, or even an entire clan, across such distances.

Adlan

I like the first half of the first story. I would expect he'd also be aware he'd been chemically newtered, if he then manages to escape, he has a good reason for being on an imperial world, and lots of reasons why other's would be after him, the original inquisitor wants to recapture him, another inquisitor needs him as evidence the first is a heretic., A Magos wants to uncover the chemical castration treatment, lots of hooks.

kierkegaard

The only thing that I dislike about the model is the lack of detail on the trousers (when I first saw the pictures, which are a little bit dark, I thought 'Oh God, he has sculpted a naked Ork...') Everything else looks great. I really like the weapons and the pose.