Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

What do you think of these models for my Warband.

Started by 0604854, May 06, 2011, 01:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have put a selection of models I am considering to get to make up a warband of 6 (i will not use them all at once) Radical Inquisitor (he bellieves that through understanding slaanesh we can control chaos), a unsactioned psyker using slaanesh powers,  a strange mutant/alien of unknown origin in a constant state of agony, a hired gun sharpshooter, a Van Saar Necromonda former gang leader addicted to slaught after the death of her gang and has since hunted down their killers (they were ambushed), an alien bounty hunter from a primitive world.

What do you think?

Links to pics of models bellow:
(inquisitor model)

http://www.frontiermodels.co.uk/BEELPHEGOR-The-Warcraft-Fantasy-Soul-Reaper-p-16650.html

(Psyker)
http://www.frontiermodels.co.uk/DARAMIS-Healing-light-p-19967.html

(Mutant)
http://www.skminiatures.co.uk/#/vanatoor-guardian/4533961612

(sharpshooter)
http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=scb_f54_hmn_hro_102_000&cur=eur

(Van saar hive ganger)
http://www.fantization.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=10268

(Alien)
http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=eng_eng_fsb_dmn_101_000

Here is what I was thinking for the rules for the warband members

Inquisitor Essendor

WS   BS   S   T   I   WP   SG   NV   LD
93   59   63   61   95   97   80   97   82

Left Handed

Skills: Ambidextrous, Deflect shot, Dodge, Feint, Lightning reflexes, Leader, Heroic, Nerves of steel

Equipment: Daemon Bastard sword (WP 92, Deflection, Entrance, Lashing, screaming.), Carapace armour (Left arm, Right arm, Left Leg, Right Leg, Groin, Chest),  Flak armour on abdomen, Knife.

Eachelle Tryso (psyker)
43   42   33   31   57   80   64   40   50

Right Handed

Skills: Alpha, dodge.

Exotic abilities: Enchanting pheromone gland

Psychic Powers: Quicksilver, Whisper, Dark bliss, Phantasm, Mastery of the soul, The torturers touch, distraction, Embolden, Mesmerism, Fragment image.

Equipment: Staff (3).

Fujor, the agonised (mutant)

71   36   72   73   55   62   38   75   60

Skills: Ambidextrous, Furious assault, Nerves of steel, True grit.

Exotic abilities: Fearsome, Frenzy (unless spoken to by inquisitor or psyker).

Alien abilities: Barbed tail, Bestial face.

Equipment: Armoured claws (As unarmed +6 ,Reach 0), 6 Points of armour on arms.

"Dead eye" Voskan (hired sharpshooter)

43   74   62   63   70   61   63   72   59

Left Handed

Skills: Deadeye shot, Rock steady aim.

Equipment:  Hunting rifle with 6 extra shells and Range finder gun sight, revolver, knife.

Marie Deathspeed.(Van saar ganger addicted to slaught)

72   70   56   55   72   66   74   60   63

Skills: ambidextrous, Dodge, acrobatic, catfall, lightning reflexes.

Equipment: Duelling pistol with 2 reloads, only has man-stopper rounds (not even normal rounds), sword, Carapace armour on chest, abdomen, groin and legs , Slaught injectors with 5 doses.

Ourran the hunter (alien)

79   55   70   65   76   60   64   77   68

Left Handed

Skills: Furious assault, Nerves of steel, True Grit.

Alien abilities: Horns

Exotic abilities: Fearsome.

Equipment: Glaive (counts as halberd),  Flak armour on legs, groin.

MarcoSkoll

Personally, your choice of mutant makes me think more of a Daemonhound, and your alien is also more Chaotic than Xenos.

~~~~~

As far as statlines, I personally find the general numbers and collected abilities over high. Your Inquisitor has four stats over 90, and eight skills. Bear in mind, a stat of 100 represents the best an unaugmented human can possibly be, which would require complete neglect of everything else, so being so near the human limit in four areas is rather unlikely even before you consider the time needed to master that many skills.

You've also used Dodge (a very underestimated ability), Nerves of Steel (better used for representing a character with no sense of self preservation than a brave one, for which a high Nv is better) and Ambidextrous (a rare ability in real life) three times between your characters.
True Grit, Lightning Reflexes and Furious Assault have also been used twice. All these skills are supposed to add character and individuality to your characters - and they won't do that if you just use them over and over.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Adlan

Well, I'll be interested in seeing the warband, it looks interesting.

However, Kaernus the Vicious dosen't strike me as a good alien figure, more nugle than alien. But, i dunno, maybe you could pull it off. I'd be interested to see how you convert it.

The Vantoor strikes me much more as an unbound deamonhost, chaos spawn or such beastie. Could be an Alien.

The Vansaar Model addicted to slaught sounds interesting, and fits the look of the model definitely.

How are you gonna tie the models together as a warband?

PS: The Stats should be posted seperately in the Rules section, along with the background, they'll get more interest and responses there.

Quote from: Adlan on May 06, 2011, 03:06:14 PM
Well, I'll be interested in seeing the warband, it looks interesting.

However, Kaernus the Vicious dosen't strike me as a good alien figure, more nugle than alien. But, i dunno, maybe you could pull it off. I'd be interested to see how you convert it.

The Vantoor strikes me much more as an unbound deamonhost, chaos spawn or such beastie. Could be an Alien.

The Vansaar Model addicted to slaught sounds interesting, and fits the look of the model definitely.

How are you gonna tie the models together as a warband?

PS: The Stats should be posted seperately in the Rules section, along with the background, they'll get more interest and responses there.

Vantoor is a creature of unkown origin so could easily be changed to alien, Kaernus could also be changed to mutant do you think this would work any better?

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on May 06, 2011, 03:05:25 PM
Personally, your choice of mutant makes me think more of a Daemonhound, and your alien is also more Chaotic than Xenos.

~~~~~

As far as statlines, I personally find the general numbers and collected abilities over high. Your Inquisitor has four stats over 90, and eight skills. Bear in mind, a stat of 100 represents the best an unaugmented human can possibly be, which that would require complete neglect everything else, so being so near the human limit in four areas is rather unlikely even before you consider the time needed to master that many skills.

You've also used Dodge (a very underestimated ability), Nerves of Steel (better used for representing a character with no sense of self preservation than a brave one, for which a high Nv is better) and Ambidextrous (a rare ability in real life) three times between your characters.
True Grit, Lightning Reflexes and Furious Assault have also been used twice. All these skills are supposed to add character and individuality to your characters - and they won't do that if you just use them over and over.

I think I will reduce my inquisitors WP to low 80's, point well taken on dodge it will be removed from my inquisitor,, only one character now has furious assault and ambidextrous.

Kaled

Since this is the Painting & Modelling forum, I suggest you repost the profiles in the Rules Discussion forum - however I will comment on one of them here to give you an idea bout what to post when you do start a new thread.

Quote from: 0604854 on May 06, 2011, 02:49:29 PM
Inquisitor Essendor
The first thing you should probably do is to post some background for your character.  This can be in any form you want, a short biography, fiction, Arbites report, even an epic poem if you like.  This should give people an idea of who the character is, where he came from, what he believes, how others see him, what his goals are and so on.  I suggest sticking to a couple of hundred words, but some people prefer to write much more.  (As an example you can see what I wrote about one of my characters here but there are loads of other examples on the forum.)  On a more specific note - you said that he's a radical Inquisitor who believes that through understanding Slaanesh he can control Chaos - that's a very strange belief, so I think most people would expect to see some mention in his background of how he came to believe that.

QuoteWS   BS   S   T   I   WP   SG   NV   LD
93   59   63   61   95   97   80   97   82
Most people would consider those stats to be very high - probably too high to make for a fun game.  You might find some of the advice here and here helpful. 

QuoteSkills: Ambidextrous, Deflect shot, Dodge, Feint, Lightning reflexes, Leader, Heroic, Nerves of steel
Again, most people would consider that to be a massive amount of skills.  2-3 skills is a fair number for even a powerful character such as an Inquisitor but it all depends on who the character is - so you might need to use skills to represent an assassin properly because the stats alone are not sufficient.  On the other hand, many characters can be represented perfectly well by stats alone.

Hope that's of some help.

- Dave
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Kaled

I never thought to ask before - how do you plan to convert the models to make them fit the 40k universe?

Quote from: Kaled on May 06, 2011, 04:43:03 PM
I never thought to ask before - how do you plan to convert the models to make them fit the 40k universe?

Well I am not what you would call a massive converter, for most I will add some inquisitorial symbols etc.

If you have some ideas (bearing in mind I am not really a converter more a player and painter) that would be great.

Kaled

You don't really need to do much but it's fairly easy to 40k-ify models by adding purity seals, aquilas, etc. Use all those bits that come on sprues of marines and the like. If you don't do something to tie them together as a warband and to tie them firmly to the 41st millennium then you risk just having six models from a mix of universes rather than an Inquisitor warband.

Quote from: Kaled on May 06, 2011, 09:37:35 PM
You don't really need to do much but it's fairly easy to 40k-ify models by adding purity seals, aquilas, etc. Use all those bits that come on sprues of marines and the like. If you don't do something to tie them together as a warband and to tie them firmly to the 41st millennium then you risk just having six models from a mix of universes rather than an Inquisitor warband.

That is pretty much had in mind.

Adlan

Wires and Gubbinz are also important, the Odd Bionic Eye doesn't go amiss, and as Kaled said, Purity seals, lots and lots.

For the Inquisitor, his boots if you felt upto changing them, would be a good way to transform a fantasy model into a 40k one. A subtle, or not so subtle inquisition symbol, maybe a forbidden tome or such like. A holstered pistol and bandolier. Lots and Lots of Purity seals on his Deamon Swords Scabbard.

The Psycher.. something to show the usual unease and unhappyness of a psycher in the Imperium, purity seals maybe, or a sign saying Sanctioned.

A Collar, and some wires/antenna for the Mutant, to show how it's controlled. Maybe some snapped chains around it's feet.

Skulls, Aquilla, something to denote the Sharpshooters loyalties. A highly advanced gun sight or such like onthe antiquated rifle would be nicely 40k.

Loose the Katana for the Van Sarr model (unless it's essential), Chainsaws say cool sword in 40k, the way Katana's say cool swords in popular culture.

I can't see any easy conversions to make the model you've picked as an alien, it just looks too much like a nurgle demon to me.

precinctomega

The EVA Assassin is a cool mini and I'd not considered her being a female Van Saar before, but I like the idea.  Beelphegor is OK.  He's a great sculpt, but a little bit too far in the "arcane" direction to really convince me as a combatant in the Battle for the Emperor's Soul without substantial conversion.  I have similar feelings about the "psyker".  Sanctioning in the Imperium is a gruelling, hideously painful and psychologically-scarring experience (refer to the Dark Heresy rulebook for details) and I don't really see its graduates wandering around in silk bikinis.  Without the "magically suspended above the floor" element of the model, and with some ritual scarification and self mutilation, swapping the staff for a BFChainsword and adding a mask, I could see this being a cool Sister Repentia, though.

The sharpshooter's OK.  I've been looking at this model as a character for a game of Witch Hunter, but I find the Scibor sculpting style a bit not to my taste.

The Vantoor... would make a good spawn, but not a good mutant.  INQ is much more into the diseased/crippled/disfigured mutants than it is into the "horribly gribbly", which is generally considered to be the preserve of the Chaos Gods.  To this extent, Kaernus (which is, BTW, an enormous model, much taller than 54mm) would be a good mutant, perhaps with his horns cut down and some evidence of cybernetic surgery.

R.