Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

My warband rules

Started by 0604854, May 06, 2011, 04:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Here is what I was thinking for the rules for the warband members

Pics of probable models here:
http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1519.0

Inquisitor Essendor

WS      BS     S        T          I   WP        SG         NV              LD
85       59     63     61      95     77         75         87             80

Left Handed

Skills:  Deflect shot,  Feint, Lightning reflexes, Leader.

Equipment: Daemon Bastard sword (WP 70, Deflection, Entrance.), Carapace armour (Left arm, Right arm, Left Leg, Right Leg, Groin, Chest),  Flak armour on abdomen, Knife.

Eachelle Tryso (psyker)
WS   BS   S   T   I   WP   SG   NV   LD
43   42   33   31   57   80   64   40   50

Right Handed

Skills: Alpha, dodge.

Exotic abilities: Enchanting pheromone gland

Psychic Powers:  Whisper, Dark bliss, Phantasm, Mastery of the soul, The torturers touch, distraction,  Mesmerism.

Equipment: Staff .

Fujor, the agonised Alien

71   36   72   73   55   62   38   75   60

Skills: Ambidextrous,  Nerves of steel, True grit.

Exotic abilities: Fearsome, Frenzy (unless spoken to by inquisitor or psyker).

Alien abilities: Barbed tail, Bestial face.

Equipment: Armoured claws (D10 ,Reach 0), 6 Points of armour on arms.

"Dead eye" Voskan (hired sharpshooter)

43   74   62   63   70   61   63   72   59

Left Handed

Skills: Deadeye shot, Rock steady aim.

Equipment:  Hunting rifle with 6 extra shells and Range finder gun sight, revolver, knife.

Marie Deathspeed.(Van saar ganger addicted to slaught)

62   60   56   55   62   66   67   60   63

Right handed

Skills:  Dodge, acrobatic, catfall, lightning reflexes.

Equipment: Duelling pistol with 2 reloads, only has man-stopper rounds (not even normal rounds), sword, Carapace armour on chest, abdomen, groin and legs , Slaught injectors with 5 doses.

Ourran the hunter (Mutant)

69   55   70   65   76   60   64   77   68

Left Handed

Skills: Furious assault, True Grit.

Alien abilities: Horns

Exotic abilities: Fearsome.

Equipment: Glaive (counts as halberd),  Flak armour on legs, groin.

Now edited

Background
Inquisitor Essendor
Believes that through slaanesh chaos can be controlled as the other gods both fear and are repulsed by slaanesh, in love (although would not admit it) with Tryso, is definitely a radical. From Noble family, arrogant.

Eachelle Tryso
A powerful slaanesh psyker with the power to seduce anyone, was rescued from the clutches of Inquisitor covenant who planned to make her repent and die, depite her saying that she was using it to protect her community from the gangs that once plagued them, Essendor saw her potential and although jealous of her powers he decided to free her from the short sighted covenant, but was she entirely innocent and despite her rescue do she truly serve the inquisitor?

Fujor, the agonised
Discovered terrorising the people of a farming community by Essendor, once they found him however they found that Eachelle could control the beast who until know was in a constant rage, for some reason the creature because of a possible birth deformity or genetic imbalance was in a constant stage of anguish, something Eachelle could ease, the origins of the beast have not been asertained, whether it is a alien, mutant or daemon, regardless Eachelle has used her powers to persuade the creature to serve Essendor and it now kills in he's name.

Dead eye Voskan
A favourite servant of Essendor having succeeded when most others to kill the guardian of the book of 666 notations by Valcus the pleasure seeker with a bullet through the one vulnerable spot in he's power armour, since then he has served the inquisitor on numerous occasions killing numerable opponents of the inquisitor.

Marie Deathspeed
Gifted former van saar gang member and weapons customiser until her gang was ambushed by 3 others, she turned to drugs to fill the gap in her life and ultimately sought revenge hunting down every gang member that ambushed her gang, she was eventually captured after trying to kill a local guilder after she discovered that he had set the ambush, captured by adeptus arbites only the intervention of Essendor saved her life in return for her service, but she will eventually have her revenge on the necromunda guilders.

Ourran the hunter
After inquisitor Essendor was called to help quel a mutant revolt it quickly became apparent that only the killing of the revolts leaders would ensure the security of the world, it was then that Ourran found the inquisitor, some how he had bypassed security and stated he did not wish to harm the inquisitor in he's course tone and instead stated he would kill the leaders in return for payment, the inquisitor agreed and Ourran hunted down the revolts leaders and after a counter attack by defence forces the revolt was brocken, Ourran also help Essendor in the hunt of the remaining prominent mutants in return for regular payment by the inquisitor (sometimes money, sometimes something far more sinister).

Inquisitor Octavian Lars

That's a lot of characters, maybe drop the warband size a bit, appart from that, there is too little background for any of them.
Velterax III
All my wargaming under one address
http://velterax3chronicles.blogspot.com/

http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1566.0
Insertion Zone. Also on the Velterax III Chronicles.

Always looking for comments

Kaled

Quote from: Inquisitor Octavian Lars on May 06, 2011, 04:36:58 PM
That's a lot of characters, maybe drop the warband size a bit
I don't know - I've got warbands with upwards of a dozen members but, like 060, I wouldn't use them all at once.

Quoteappart from that, there is too little background for any of them.
This I'd agree with - these are more like concept sketches of background.  One reason people expect to see much more background is because you're asking us to review your characters and this is almost impossible to do properly without knowing more about who these are.  So for example, I can say that Essendor probably has too many skills, and I'd guess that (among others) Nerves of Steel should be removed - but maybe his background will explain why he is utterly fearless about being shot at.  Another reason is that Inquisitor is a narrative game and character is a very important part of that narrative.

It seems like you've got some good ideas there - they just needs to be developed.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Quote from: Kaled on May 06, 2011, 04:58:11 PM
Quote from: Inquisitor Octavian Lars on May 06, 2011, 04:36:58 PM
That's a lot of characters, maybe drop the warband size a bit
I don't know - I've got warbands with upwards of a dozen members but, like 060, I wouldn't use them all at once.

Quoteappart from that, there is too little background for any of them.
This I'd agree with - these are more like concept sketches of background.  One reason people expect to see much more background is because you're asking us to review your characters and this is almost impossible to do properly without knowing more about who these are.  So for example, I can say that Essendor probably has too many skills, and I'd guess that (among others) Nerves of Steel should be removed - but maybe his background will explain why he is utterly fearless about being shot at.  Another reason is that Inquisitor is a narrative game and character is a very important part of that narrative.

It seems like you've got some good ideas there - they just needs to be developed.

I agree that still need developed but I am just reaching that stage now but do you think of the initial concept of the characters.

Inquisitor Essendor

Born/early life- Into a noble house on the hive world of Necromunda, he was given the best education and tutelage available and soon became bored of a life of privilege having surpassed all he's teachers and turned to hunting underhive outlaws.

Current age- 50

Became an inquisitor- After Inquisitor Abore set a bounty for a locally well connected criminal (Nerak of the bunker boys) Essendor hunted the scum down ruthless killing he's co conspirators and fellow bounty hunters looking to claim the rewards he dragged the snivelling outlaw up hive to the inquisitor and instead of choosing monetary reward chose to join he's warband, through he's exploits in he's warband and through he's near legendary precognitive abilities Abore saw Essendor's potential and decided to have him inducted into training to become a member of the inquisition even going as far to say Essendor was chosen to gain knowledge that could unlock many of chaos's deepest secrets.

Appearance- Wears armour of he's family on Necromunda and carries the daemonsword Kereth after he's former master Abore was killed by the Magos Zortan, Essendor subsequently hunted him down and reclaimed the sword making sure the worthless scum suffered a thousand agonies for killing Abore, Young faced and he keeps himself fit as reguarly using rejuvanant technology to keep himself looking young so that he's enemies can see that he remains strong and vigorous as ever.

Personality- Never failed (even when he does he blames someone else), superiority complex surely nothing and no one can match him, arrogant, some would call reckless, disdains those who do not share he's views as stupid and weak as are anyone who stands in he's way, vain and proud of he's achievements, utterly selfish excepted in regards to Eachelle Tryso who he loves with a dark passion although he has yet to admit it although he is tempted to become closer to her.

In battle- Having exceeded all of the tutelage of he's teachers especially in swordsmanship he has become one of the best swordsmen in the galaxy, he's lightning fast reflexes developed through years of training mean he can react to any danger that comes he's way, as no opponent can oppose him he leads from the front using he's skill with a sword to kill he's opponents, he views the use of guns as noisy and crude although he sees the value of other using them, the one affront to he's pride is that he has no psychic powers a boon to anyone in the inquisition but surely it is a matter of time before he finds a way to gain these powers.

Ideology- Definitely a radical like Inquisitor Abore however he has decided on the finding of the Journal of Tulkan the arch pleasure seeker that learning the secrets of slaanesh is the key to mastering chaos, slaanesh alone has the power to control the other powers in the future as don't they have their own dark, forbidden desires.

Current activity- Seeking ways to gain psychic powers, seeking the 666 scriptures of Recan the rapturous, the creation of a daemonhost to further he's understanding of slaanesh, Alien torture and rejuvenant technology.

Inquisitor Octavian Lars

Just noticed, why has the deamon longsword have a higher wp than the owner.
Velterax III
All my wargaming under one address
http://velterax3chronicles.blogspot.com/

http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1566.0
Insertion Zone. Also on the Velterax III Chronicles.

Always looking for comments

Eachelle Tryso

Born- Feldon 2, a remote farming planet on the eastern fringe to farming parents.

Age- 32

Joining the warband- Her planet and community had largely been abandoned by the imperium because of the threat of alien invasion and with gangs taking over killing and looting were common place but Eachelle used her, before now unknown abilities to persuade the gangs to leave her community and she quickly rose to lead her community into becoming self sufficient, the source of these powers is unknown some say they were gift from the emperor, others something far darker, however the use of such power attracts the inquisition and inquisitor Fabio captured the women and charged her of using forbidden powers, mid trial Essendor bursed in having just missed her on Feldon 2, he engaged in a furious argument with the two Inquisitor's coming to blows but Essendor best Fabioescaping he's furious followers with Eachelle, with her planet invaded by Tau she decided to agree to serve Essendor so that they may discover the secrets he seeked together although whether she has a much darker motive remains unclear.

Personality- Witty, calm even in the most chaotic of circumstances, dislikes hand to hand combat, she can persuade almost anyone to do anything, hates Covenant as one of the few she could not influence, not afraid to use her natural charms to get information for Essendor or to further he's aims.

Appearance- she wares clothes to show her natural beauty, a gift from Essendor along with the ceremonial staff, young and extraordinarily beautiful.

In battle- Stays back from the actual combat which she avoids as much as possible, uses her abilities to confuse and persuade others from their mission, her mutation something that had been hidden until the emergence of psychic powers often protecting her from those wishing to strike her down.

Other notes- how does she actually feel for Essendor, do she have a hidden agenda.

Quote from: Inquisitor Octavian Lars on May 07, 2011, 08:53:25 PM
Just noticed, why has the deamon longsword have a higher wp than the owner.

He's WP is 95 the swords is 92 the characteristics are slightly out of line

Ourran the hunter

Born- Dalos 2 (industrial world) to adeptus arbite father and whole mother but was dumped at birth he had to fight survival against other mutants but he's natural strength, skill and intelligence although he grew to hate other mutants as selfish and pathetic creatures (he resents himself being a mutant), he quickly figured out one thing, money changes everything, he served numerous outlaw gangs as a hired brute although he was far more skilled than he was given credit, he's brutal reputation quickly grew as was he's reputation for the brutal remains of he's victims he often kept as trophies.

How did he join the warband- A mutant revolt engulfed the planet and Essendor was called to address the situation however Voskan told him of the rumours of Ourran and he's hate for mutants he led Essendor to him and he was hired to hunt the revolts leaders, he returned to Essendor with numerous trophies if a bit bloodied and bruised, Essendor offered him a place in he's warband and a steady flow of income which the mutant excepted hoping to one day find away to become more human.

Age- About 40

Personality- Ruthless, hates other mutants, takes he's frustration at being a mutant on others as he never knew he's family, determined, lack of conscience or remorse.

In battle- Charges at opponents with furious rage landing a number of blows on he's opponents until they die, having developed he's skill with a glaive over years of conflict, never gives up, relentless.

Fujor, the agonsied

Born and age- unknown

Joined the warband- Essendor was drawn to the farming planet of Fujor 3 after a number of attacks by a mysterious creature and after Eachelle's guidance found the creature in the wastes but instead of attacking it approached Eachelle as a dog would approach a master and she gave it an affectionate pat, she explained the creature was in a constant state of anguish, a state she was able to sooth, the origin of the creature was a mystery tests showed it was a mutant or daemonic creature and it was concluded that it must be a xenos creature, Eachelle helped train the creature to also obey Essendor and has continued serve them, however it is still a beast and has to be restrained when not in conflict but when the time comes it is plunged back into a state of agony which is only eased by bloodshed although it would not hurt Eachelle or Essendor although it's first allegiance was to Eachelle.

Personality- unless it is within close proximity Eachelle it is in a state of agony and only a stern word by Essendor can restrain it from charging those it has not been told are friendly, otherwise it is like a loyal hound but will hate anything trying to hurt Eachelle and will do anything to protect her.

In battle- unless controlled goes after enemies like a rabid dog but will do anything to protect Eachelle.

Appearance- Tentacle like hair, long bestrial snout, claws of alien design (one way in which it was identified), long barbed tail.

Other- cause of pained state is a mystery although a genetic mutation is thought likely.

Voskan "Dead eye"

Born on Magos 2, lived with he's father a weaponsmith who died when he's workshop was raided by outlaws, taking the remaining gun he hunted the scum down and has continued to work as a gun for hire ever since, learning to rely on himself, only one thing matters getting paid, and that is he's only true master.

Gained he skills whilst practising with the weapons he's father made and through years of mercenary activity.

Age- 55

How he joined the warband- former servant of Inquisitor after he impressed him after killing some of he's inquisition opponents without being able to trace it back to him, after the Inquisitor's death he started to serve Essendor after he heard what he done with Abore and has now served the inquisitor on a regular basis, it would cost alot for him to betray him.

Personality- Independent, almost emotionless without loyalty or conscience he only cares about the financial rewards, he understands Marie's desire for revenge.

Appearance- An old overcoat and hat to protect him against the elements, he uses the rifle he used to hunt the outlaws, an old wrinkled face and although now getting older he remains strong.

In battle- prefers to use he's skills at range rather than up close where he can use he's deadly skills and looks to avoid hand to hand combat at all costs.

Marie Deathspeed

Born and joined warband- Necromunda underhive to Van saar gang, known as one of the bright stars of the house her gang the Techno speeds were quickly rising in power in the underhive but the gang was growing too powerful for the Guildmaster Gorton who hired 3 rival gangs to ambush them and her gang where slaughtered although she managed to escape, the guilt ran deep in Marie and she turned to slaught drugs to fill the void, stating that it made her feel whole again, she decided to hunt the gangs responsible killing their members one by one during which she found out that the Guildmaster had organised the ambush, she was however captured within a hairs breadth of her goal by adeptus arbites but before her execution Essendor appeared, he had heard of her exploits through he's contacts and in return for a constant supply of slaught and the promise of revenge in the future she joined the warband.

Age-30

Personality- Depressed, feels weak without slaught after her gang died, trusts no one except Essendor (for now), hates guilders, dislikes traders.

Appearance- Van saar specially made suit for Marie, wields a dueling pistol of her own design and a sword she took from her former gang leader she killed in a leadership challenge, the effects of drug use are yet to show because of regenerative treatments Essendor provides as part of the agreement of her serving him (although these treatments cannot stave the effects of indefinitely).

In battle- is supremely skilled as a natural shooter and swordswoman, her natural agility gives her a natural advantage however she is often hesitant without the influence of slaught

Dolnikan

I like the background and characters you designed.

There are however  few changes I would make. I would lower the inquisitors's ws a bit, to the eighties, it's still high but not incredibly high. Such skills would only be achieved by people who focus their whole life on swordsmanship.
His Wp is too high as well, I would bring it to the seventies. Added to that I would also make the daemonsword weaker and lower its willpower. From his skills I would remove heroic and nerves of steel, in his background there is no reason for them.

For Tryso I would rename the inquisitor who captured her, it is generally frowned upon to use official characters in your own backgrounds. I would also remove some of her powers. At the moment she has a bit too many for ease of play and balance. Her background also doesn't justify that many powers.

I really like the alien, I would only change the claw's damage to something like a D10, that way most of the damage depends on the damage roll and not on the damage bonus, making it a little more varied in the damage it does.

I would lower the ganger's stats a bit, especially the ws, bs, initiative and sg. The sg might seem fitting for a van Saar ganger but it is very high, they have some technical skills but don't have such a level of knowledge about technology. The ws, bs and i are a bit high as well for what is after all only a ganger. It would also make her more dependent on the slaught in combat.

Ouran's nerves of steel isn't justified as well. And generally it is best to not have many characters in one band with that skill.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

MarcoSkoll

Well, the first thing to say is take Dolnikan's post above with a pinch of salt.

If of course, you are playing mostly with people who insist on using the rulebook profiles, then you will have to concede to using a high level of stats overall to be on par with them.
However,  the gamers who have stuck with Inquisitor for long enough have found that the game doesn't work as well when it's pushed like this.

It's "balanced", but the problem is, that when any roll is largely a foregone conclusion it takes the excitement out of the game. If everyone is fighting with high WS/BS values and powerful swords/guns (and in Inquisitor, even a stubber can be very dangerous) then success is more down to whose action dice let them attack first.

As such, the idea of "Conclave Standard" has evolved - this is a skill level more based on the descriptions of stat levels near the start of the rulebook, because we've found that characters with these more modest stats make for games that are just generally more interesting to play.

The film Die Hard has been used as an example of this idea. If you replaced John McClane with Batman, the whole plot would have been foiled before the opening credits started, you'd never have learnt anything about the bad guys involved and you'd be waiting for the supervillain to turn up.

So, Conclave Standard evolved. What this generally means is that a stat of 50 represents competence (and probably being somewhat above average) in an area.
60 represents being damn good, 70 is an exceptional skill level, and 80 is a mastery (and thus, a character is very unlikely to have a stat of 80 at all, and almost certainly won't have two). 90 or more is almost entirely unheard of and only to be used in very, very rare circumstances.
Additionally, characters usually only a small handful of abilities, unless they need more to properly represent some oddity about them.

As you can see, this means that many of your characters are way above the level at which most of us play at, and the general gist of our responses are likely to be angled towards that.

However, one thing outside the general level of your stats I have to say is this one line in Marie's background: "the effects of drug use are yet to show."
As it sounds like she's been using it heavily for months or years, this doesn't gel with the harshness of 40k drugs, the effects of which would have long since started to show in some way.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles