Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Book buying Advice

Started by Shannow, May 11, 2011, 01:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

Apologies. That was one of those posts that grew, and I've only just realised quite how long a rant it is.

But I do suggest that you start with something other than more Dan Abnett. While I don't regret having read things like Eisenhorn, you can certainly find better.

For starters, I suggest Inquisitor Sargoth's Aurea Mediocritas. Unfortunately what's in the IC section is very incomplete, as he decided he wanted to rework it and hasn't got very far (although what he has done is most definitely improved). But, fortunately, I think I still have copies of most of what was on the last 'Clave which I should be able to send to you.
Despite that he thinks it needs reworking, it would still be an insult to it to say it's what Eisenhorn should have been.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Shannow

I'd greatly appreciate anything you had that you thought was worth reading Marco :) cheers in advance!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Macabre

I also quite liked Scourge the Heretic and Innocence Proves Nothing by Sandy Mitchell, so in my opinion they're also worth a look.
++Believe the lie. Trust no one++

MarcoSkoll

Right, I've emailed you what I have of Aurea Mediocritas. Enjoy.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

I'd advise reading some of the books that inspired the authors of the original Rogue TraderDune by Frank Herbert is an excellent place to start - the stories of warring noble houses, navigators, the sisterhood etc are great inspiration for Inquisitor (but stop reading when you get to the ones by Brian Herbert/Kevin J. Anderson).  Or you could take a look at Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein, or Asimov's Foundation trilogy (I know there's more than three, but the first three are the ones to read).

That should be enough to get you started...
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Shannow

Thanks Dave and Dave, one for the email one for the other books.

A whole new meaning to D&D.....
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

GAZKUL

i'll actually suggest some of the stories from Warp Rift magazine, google it and it should come up. Despite being Battalefleet Gothic it is still good from a background perspective
"You do not need to prove that you exist because soon you won't"

phil-o-mat

yes, warprift is awesome! pure fan-fiction, but damn good...

Aidan

Well, to contradict the more fanatical out there, DO BUY/READ RAVENOR. I found it better than Eisenhorn, which I actually enjoyed.

Yes, Abnett has a few (or more than a few) idiot moments out there - they've been sufficiently discussed - but there's one thing he does better than any other BL author: he creates the most wonderful settings. Worlds, cultures, societies, rendered wonderfully. Maybe these things don't matter to every reader, but it is this that makes Abnett my favourite BL author: in his books, it's not just the generic GrimDarkImperiumCrapsackWorld. It's Eustis Majoris, or Bonner's Reach, or Sameter or Gudrun... etc. Some other authors try to do similar but either fall short on uniqueness, or describe things so floridly my head hurts (Mitchell...).

I take Abnett's two Inquisitor series (and to a rather lesser extent Gaunt's Ghosts) as my primary inspiration when creating creating the sector in which my gaming group's campaigns are held.

-A.