Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Combining games systems

Started by GAZKUL, May 12, 2011, 09:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAZKUL

a few questions:

1. Dous it work?
2. which ones work?
3. tips on implementing please

Our gaming group is concentrating on the fictional Simurgh sector and i was curious as to whether we could integrate other systems to create/expand background for the sector, in particular using BFG to expand the systems we've established as well as providing a basis for scenarios, any tips would be useful.

cheers in advance :)
"You do not need to prove that you exist because soon you won't"

Charax

1) Yes
2) Most of them. Some more easily than others
3) Take it slowly, don't make too many rules, go with the flow
(No longer} The guy with his name at the bottom of the page

Aurelius 12

BFG works rather well if you have a planetary assault/ pirate raid etc. That said, it depends on your campaign and the plot etc.

I did play a campaign where necromunda was used for gang level conflicts being funded by the inquisitors/characters. Each player ran a gang and a inquisitor. The gang would be given missions by the inquisitor who had hired them via the gm. That meant in our necromunda games we didn't really know who we were working for.

40k strikes me as too overtly warlike perhaps? Given how shadowy inquisitor is, out and out conflict rarely plays a huge role in my own campaigns. That said I now rather like the idea of using aeronautica imperialis in a campaign.

That's just my musings.
And the Saint did weep when she saw how lost the people were. Seven tears fell upon Gomorrah. Seven tears to wash away their sin. A deluge of heavenly tears drowned their world in an ocean of forgiveness. The people cleansed in a sea of nuclear fire.

Ynek

Inquisitor is a good game as a lead-up-game to other game systems, for instance....

Character X arranges to meet Imperial Navy character Y to discuss an enemy fleet massing at location A. However, a minion of the enemy, character Z, and his cronies, are there to make sure that the meeting never takes place.

If character X suceeds in warning the Navy about the growing threat at location A, then perhaps the next game could be a battlefleet gothic game to destroy the enemy fleet before it gets too close. Perhaps character Z was able to escape and warned his masters at location A, and they set a trap for the incoming fleet?

If character X and Y fail to meet up, then perhaps the next game could be a battlefleet gothic game where the enemy fleet enters the system and starts shooting up the place. Or perhaps, it might be a game of 40k planetfall / Epic40k to represent the enemy invasion?

Games like Aeronautica Imperialis also work fairly well running in parallel to an Inquisitor game. For instance, Inquisitor X's mission goes badly wrong, so he calls for an aerial extraction. Cue the beginning of an Aeronautica Imperialis game where the extraction vehicles need to get to location B in order to extract the Inquisitor and his retinue.

Alternatively, a savvy gamer could do something like - An Inquisitor and his cronies go to location C to investigate threat D, (for this example, let's just say it's a particular structure in a necron tomb.) Mechanicus characters E and F are already there, and are apparently determined to awaken the necrons that slumber in the chasms below. The Inquisitor fails to stop the Necrons from being awakened, but does succeed in subduing the mechanicus extremists. Cue the beginning of a 40k game, where the structure that the inquisitor was investigating is represented by a terrain piece on the board. The Imperial player must get a transport vehicle to that structure and whisk the Inquisitor away as fast as possible as one of his objectives, whilst the necrons try to stop them. The Inquisitor, naturally, wouldn't just charge out there where the necrons can see (and shoot) him, would he? He'd wait for safe extraction. After all, if he and his cronies die, nobody will be left alive to tell the tale of the Mechanicus's corruption.

There are a lot of ways to do it. My best advice would be just to wing it. I thought up these three examples in about two minutes. All it takes is a touch of imagination and a little bit of patience. :P
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."