Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Gun Shuttle of doom

Started by Inquisitor Octavian Lars, May 22, 2011, 12:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaled

It seems to have an over-abundance of rooms and a lack of corridors. 1.5m square is far too small for a room (even their training area is a tiny 3x6m) and the engine room is in a weird place too (among other issues). Maybe take a look out at the layout of something like Serenity (from Firefly) for some inspiration. It also seems a bit too curvy for an Imperial shuttle.

This thing would need to be bigger than a Valkyrie, and I speak from experience when I say that they take up a large proportion of the board - hence I like Shannow's suggestion of the ship being the board. I've often thought of making a board that can be used to represent the inside of a ship or base. A load of 12" or 18" square rooms plus corridors to connect them that can be laid out in different configurations depending on the scenario could be very cool.

But unless you plan to actually build it and use it in a game then I'd keep the actual details of the shuttle pretty vague. Just write in the background for your war band that they have a heavily armed shuttle that they use for in-system travel and that they hitch a lift on a larger warp-capable ship when they want to travel between systems.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Kaled on May 22, 2011, 10:26:31 PMMaybe take a look out at the layout of something like Serenity (from Firefly) for some inspiration. It also seems a bit too curvy for an Imperial shuttle.
I did actually have that in my head back as I was writing an earlier post, but it got made slightly irrelevant by what others had said. (Still, a cross between a Firefly and a Thunderhawk is the loose basis I have in my head for Marco's surface/orbit shuttle.)

As I remember, each of the two sets (one for each floor) made for Serenity's interior was about 60m long and about a third of that wide. (With those dimensions, it occurs to me you could reproduce it nicely on a 6' x 4' table. Split it into two 6' x 2' sections, each half representing one floor of the interior. But that's for another time.)

The interior set dimensions don't even begin to include exterior elements like the wingspan or the tail. And Serenity was still pretty cosy. Not exactly small, but if you want to be able to house, feed, organise and equip several people for any real time as well as ferry around serious hardware (like vehicles - perhaps a Tauros, Rhino or Land Speeder) when it's needed, it's going to be at least as big as Thunderhawk. But currently, the proposed dimensions are about half the size of a Thunderhawk.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Inquisitor Octavian Lars

What are the dimensions of a Tauros and where do you reccomend putting the reactor room. 2nd stage designs are coming.
Velterax III
All my wargaming under one address
http://velterax3chronicles.blogspot.com/

http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1566.0
Insertion Zone. Also on the Velterax III Chronicles.

Always looking for comments

Ulgavitch

QuoteI like Shannow's suggestion of the ship being the board

A bit OT maybe, but I've done a game like that, set on a rogue traders orbital shuttle. We had a long 6"x4" table, though the ship didn't quite fill that. We had enough terrain to make hull walls and internal bulkheads. It worked really well, though we designed rules for electronics and damage to the ship which made it more reactive.

It was a great game, it ended with an explosion that almost crippled the shuttle and blew two members of a warband out into space. 

Dolnikan

I would put the reactors in the back, and especially not to one side of the thing, that could cause an imbalance which one would usually try to avoid while flying. I would have them taking up both floors, they would constitute a major part of the shuttle.

You could incorporate some of the small rooms in the next version where they are used as holding cells for prisoners. The other rooms I would increase in size, they would be things like storage and sleeping quarters, most people would sleep in shared rooms.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Inquisitor Octavian Lars on May 23, 2011, 07:17:42 AMWhat are the dimensions of a Tauros
I'm afraid I don't have that Imperial Armour, so I can't say. They're supposed to be able to fit into a Valkyrie though, and guessing from Forge World, I'd say they were about the same size as a smallish car.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Shannow

Considering I've just bought some 54mm Alien models from the film Alien, would make for a very atmospheric paranoid dark corridor hunting game mwahahaha oh how I wish I had a board to GM people with :P
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Ynek

Personally, when I was planning to give any Inquisitor characters their own ship, I went with something much larger.

The simple reason was that I occasionally play Battlefleet Gothic, and I wanted a ship large enough to be representable in-game, whilst still being large enough that a single volley wouldn't wipe them out.

One of the characters that I'm still working on is Inquisitor Thaddeus, who has three ships under his command, a cobra class destroyer, (Which was his first ship. It's an old, decommissioned navy vessel which has seen better days, but it is big and strong enough to get him where he is going, provided that he isn't expecting too much trouble...) In addition, he owns a Dauntless light cruiser, which he has placed on semi-permenant loan to the Levitus Subsector Adeptus Mechanicus. (A rogue trader friend left it to him in his will, apparently claiming that Thaddeus deserved a ship better than his worn-out old cobra. Thaddeus couldn't truly afford to maintain it, so he decided to give it to the Sacred Barrier Cultists on Ferrum, on the condition that if he ever had need of it, the ship would answer his call.) In addition, Thaddeus also owns a viper class destroyer, which is on a similar semi-permenant loan to Inquisitor Eisenstein, whose own ship was destroyed during a particularly nasty affair in the Ultramar sector.

Anyway, the idea behind this was that the ships are large enough to be represented in Battlefleet Gothic, without the 'Thaddeus' detachment of viper/cobra/dauntless being destroyed in a single hit. Of course, the ship that you've designed here might work in 40k if you were able to make a suitable model for it, but in practical terms, it's too big to appear on an Inquisitor board (unless it IS the Inquisitor board...) and too small for BFG...

Just my two one hundredths of an Imperial Credit.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Damon

QuoteWhat are the dimensions of a Tauros

I have a Forge World Tauros in my IG army. I was surprised how small the model actually is. I'd agree with Marco in that it's about the size of a small car. Not sure exact dimensions though.

Inquisitor Octavian Lars

Roughly how many people to a room EDIT:I would probably say after some thought, 2, 2 tier bunks.
Velterax III

Molotov

Please take the time to put some effort into your posts. Little things like basic punctuation will make people far more inclined to help you out. If you want people to help you, help yourself.
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

Shannow

The handy above post from Mol reminds me to say that if your not up to making a board for a ship you could make a 28mm scaled one. I know your using 54mm but if you check out Mols (increasingly enviable) 28mm blog you'll see they look just as good.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Inquisitor Octavian Lars

Here are more up to date versions of my shuttle's plans

Velterax III

Inquisitor Octavian Lars

Here is a 1:35 kit that I will probably use as the basis for the 4 vehicles that will be transported in the gun shuttle.
http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/673_1_106557260.html
Velterax III

Shannow

I would recommend you pick sci-fi vehicles as opposed to current military vehicles, they are too obviously 21st century as opposed to 40k to really fit in well. You can make them work (somebody has done somewhere on here) but it is a lot of work, not just gluing things on.

My opinion anyway.

Time to die.