Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Gav's Updates

Started by greenstuff_gav, May 26, 2011, 09:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Necris

I'd be interested in a serf Gav
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

Shannow

I'd be interested in a couple mate :)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Alyster Wick

I have a self imposed moratorium on purchasing any new models, but it just looks great.  I'd definitely buy one, especially at your always-reasonable prices.

greenstuff_gav

so, wee update time :)

first up, Octus has more headwork done.. i still don't like her :(

and the Serf is being reworked, getting close to completion :)

going for an arm-piece to match the marine one and some other details :)
some more tidying up to do and the pistol to finish; will try and sprue it onto the base tab :)

G
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Shannow

Really like that serf mate, a few of those I want for sure. Detail on the head is an especially nice touch.

I think octus' eyes are too large and nose too small perhaps?

R
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Necris

Most defiantly sold

I'm liking the bolt pistol too gav, perhaps a weapons sprue in the offing ?
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

Alyster Wick

The serf looks fantastic, excited to see its final iteration.

I gotta say that I'm not a huge fan of the techpriest revision, largely because of the face. Trying to figure out what I don't like, maybe the eyes? The face comes off rather juvenile in a cartoonish way.

Sorry to be hypercritical, I'm just a huge fan of your sculpts and this one just seems a little off.

Inquisitor Dionzi

Actually, Octus' face looks a bit like an alien re-re (reference Clerks). I'm assuming the pistol on Octus is configured for a cross-draw? If not, it's oriented the wrong way. :( The face-guard looks a bit like the methane-shield for a Star Trek Benzite :P A thought: to fix some of the ... weird ... look on the face, why not try some implants/bionics? Get a 'drite to start wiggling out her ear, or summat.

Serf looks great :) Just need to sharpen up the edges a bit. They're both 54mm scale, or 28mm heroic?
SKYFALL MINIATURES

Dolnikan

The serf is just marvellous. Octus looks good as well, the haircut is nice but as the others already said, there is something with the face,
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Dolnikan on June 15, 2011, 10:22:18 AMbut as the others already said, there is something with the face
To my eye....

Her eyes are oversized, slightly too far up the head and lens shaped. To go back to a picture I used a while ago,  they're more like the left image here (a convex cross-section), rather than the more correct right:

... which also brings up another important point. On most people's faces, the inside corner of the eye is lower than the outside corner.

That's the main thing, but other things that could be taken into account is that one of these two has probably caused the other: The nose is short, and the lips large. (Also, there's no philtrum.)

I'd also say the lower cheeks are a bit too convex, but it's a bit hard to tell from those angles and I suppose it depends on how lean you want the face to look.

As a minor last point, her ears could also be a bit more prominent.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Ynek

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on June 15, 2011, 03:10:56 PM
Some pointers

Also, one more note is that there should be approximately one eye's breadth in between the eyes. On this sculpt, the fact that they're so large has meant that they've ended up a little close together.

It's not a BIG mistake per se, and it's certainly one that could be covered up with the age-old "mutation" excuse, but I get the impression that you're aiming for something a little closer to 'perfection', so I'm being a harsher critic. ;)
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

MarcoSkoll

Hang on... are those eyes ball bearings? If so, you're going to need much smaller ones (1mm is a reasonable size) if you're trying that technique.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

greenstuff_gav

thanks guys :)
pulled her head off and am resculpting :)

in the interim, i've got this far:

just about to sprue up the pistol, am trying to work out which method will be easiest and most cost effective to produce :)

Build Your Imagination

Shannow

That sculpt just gets better and better mate

Time to die.

greenstuff_gav

it's been a while since i updated about the Serf  :-[

unfortunately, a few issues with dropping things delayed his moulding :P
but lookit THIS!

it's a bit ropey as i've moulded and cast these myself :P
but a lack of finances has hampered my ability to send him off for (semi)mass production :(
i plan on re-converting the hands to carry the Dark Angels' helmet and while i'm there i can tidy up that terrible flash :P
also means i'll have a spare pistol for a weapons pack... gotta decide if it's going to be a half dozen pistols or one of each of the bolt weapon types...

Build Your Imagination