Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

GW Roughcoat spray replacement?

Started by RobSkib, June 30, 2011, 02:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobSkib

Howdy chaps,

I recently dug out some old, old modelling projects that I've been meaning to finish off for a while, and whipped out my can of Roughcoat from yesteryear. While a little expensive at the time, it did a fine job of 'roughing up' scenery and providing an interesting texture to paint over. The problem is, I went to use my second, relatively unused can, and I got nothing but dribble - the propellant had completely gone and I'm left with a useless can of sandy paint with no way of getting it out, short of doing something horrible to the can.

My question is, does anybody know of a suitable replacement for roughcoat? Colour and price doesn't matter so much - I just need something to replace it. I've heard B&Q do something close, but has anybody tried it out?

Thanks in advance.
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Inquisitor Dionzi

You may wanna try a spray-gun/air brush with a propellant can. First step tho' is to try to find a widgit that'll let you hook up the propellant and the roughcoat can to the same handgrip.
SKYFALL MINIATURES

Kaled

I used something called Plasti-cote Stone Touch for that terrain project I did a while back. I think they sell that in B&Q (I got mine at Hobbycraft). It worked rather well I thought but I've no idea how it compares to the stuff GW used to sell as I never used that.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

RobSkib

Yeeeeh, problem is I've never owned/used an airbrush in my life, and I doubt I'd pick one up just for the purpose of painting a few buildings. Regardless of how cheap/easy it'd be, I'm a glutton for punishment and insist on hand-painting everything.

That's interesting though dave, I'm glad someone confirmed my B&Q suspicions, I will give their online store a thorough combing and report back.
                                     +++++++

Hugh Jarse

You could do what I used to do when I built the scenry for my old club.... add a hand full of pit sand to an equal amount of PVA glue and stir thoroughly, add one 2" paint brush and away you go  ;)

Not as quick as a spray can, but the effects leaves can be varied  :)

RobSkib

Yup I've done something very similar to that, remains to be seen how well it turns out. I'm going to give it a quick once-over with black spray once it's dried, as the poster paint hasn't left a nice smooth basecoat as I'd hoped it would.
                                     +++++++