Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Tyr wen Wokin, of the Ordo Hereticus

Started by JoelMcKickass, July 05, 2011, 11:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoelMcKickass

Finished the Arbite today, figured i'd stick all 3 of them up.

Inquisitor Tyr wen Wokin, of the Ordo Hereticus.

Born on the planet of Miya IV, a Fuedal Planet with an emphasis on combat to earn ones right in the hierarchy of the planet. When born, each Miyan infant is placed in front of a variety of weapons, the one they clasp their tiny hands onto is the one they spend their life time developing, alongside their own bodies, in order to operate without them.

Tyr was born into the Wokin household, the son of the established Swordsman Sashi, took after his father with abandon. However, around the time of adoloscense Tyr began to develop into something more. His strength would often increase sharply, without any apparent control, and was able to react to blows and attackers with almost preternaturally fast reactions. This resulted in Tyr having to spar with men sometimes twice his age, swiftly advancing him to the rank of "wen" within his household. Eventually the Black Ships arrived and found Tyr to be a psyker, however the disciplined nature of the Miyan martial arts meant that he was able to control it to some effect, though not fully. After being taken on the Black Ships, he was found to have extensive biomantic powers, to the extent that he was able to lock onto any bio signatures nearby.

He was taken under the wing of one Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor Mihail Bennett, (who intended to use his ability to detect people as a way to track down heretical cultists, and avoid walking into ambushes, a habit Mihail was developing) and his Lord, Marcus Skaro and began his "formal" tutoring of Imperial Culture, something that the Miyan's didn't really know about, their way of life meaning they had more pressing matters to worry about. He took to the learning with the same determination he devoted the his martial training, and began trying to combine his psychic powers with his Miyan based maritial arts, and soon began to eschew even his sword, relying more and more on his own body, rather than weapons. On more than one official occation shown to have some Thorian tendencies whilst his psychic powers have grown greatly since his induction into the Inquisition, his ability to detect the biological presence of people around him has advanced to being able to sense any disturbances in the area around his own body. He trained extensively in order to be able to combine this power and his own Miyan Martial Arts, in order to use his own body as the ultimate weapom. Furthermore, his ability to sense the biology of people means that he is able to read them, using their own body language to determine whether they're lying or not.

After the murder of Inquisitor Bennett, in what appear to be a mugging, yet was in fact much more sinister, and subsequent investigation was headed by Tyr, upon it's completion he was taken under the wing of Inquisitor Skaro, where he was soon promoted to full Inquisitor. Since his promotion he has begun some fruitful and ambitious work in the Ordo Hereticus, and is showing potential, whether he fulfills that potential however, is yet to be seen.

He truly flourished during the Bennett investigation, however the battle against the actual murderers meant he learnt some valuable lessons, and changed his philosophy, replacing the eye he lost in the skirmish with a weapon, literally turning his himself into a tool to fight against the enemies of the Imperium.

WS  BS    S     T    I   WP  SG    NV     LD
78   51   68   64  74  79   64    71    73

Equipment: Carapace armour on chest, abdomen and groin, Force Sword, revolver with 12 rounds, bionics on head (1 point of armour on front), advanced bionic eye with build in inferno pistol.

Psychic Powers: Biological Detection*, Warp Strength, Hammerhand.

Skills: Furious Assault, Martial Arts*, Dodge

Biological Detection: GM's discretion, acts as Detection for biological matter, but not bionics (suffers penalties appropriate to the amount of bionics/type of armour a person has/is wearing. (Note, may simply change to Detection if this is stupid/complicated).

Martial Arts: Blademaster, except unarmed, allows Wokin to parry standard weapons whilst unarmed (not chain, shock, power, force, daemon, etc).

Next Character

Gun-Hound Ridian Jago.

WS BS  S   T   I    WP  SG  NV  LD
54  71 53 58 72   62   49  71  59

Jago is Left Handed

Equipment: Flak Armour on all locations except head, double barrelled sawn off shotgun with 10 shells, 2 revolvers with 6 rounds, in a speedloader, each, stubber with reload, meltabomb.

Skills: Gunfighter, Deadeye Shot.

Born in the slums of Jural Primus, Ridian Jago was the son of a a low level thug, and the prostitute he had fallen in love with. Growing up in the whorehouses of Jural Primus, neutral ground between the gangs, was unpleasant to say the least, however, Jago's father was nothing if not devoted. He was introduced to the gangs at a young age, who often frequented the brothels, whilst not being put off by the children who called them home. The gangers would often amuse themselves by watching the children fight, betting on which would win.

Jago was always eager to charm the gangers, none more so than his father, and would often try to accompany them as they left. As he grew older, the gangers began to see him as one of their own, however, he never made any one affiliation, being seen as a dangerous youth in his own right. When he reached the age of 16, he turned down his hereditary place in his father's (now a Lieutenant in one of the larger organisations) gang and hired himself out to whomever could pay. This led to his father disowning his son, stating he had "taken after his whore of a mother".

Despite his father's anger at the snub, Jago managed to prove his worth, using the contacts he'd made from his youth to get jobs as a Gun-Hound, a hired gun for gangs who needed extra firepower, and could afford it. Over time, he became one of the highest sought after Gun-Hounds, his experience and tendency to target the known hang outs of those he was sent against meant that people would often pay him to simply leave them alone.

His overt tactics did, however, draw the attention of the local Wardens, who could never actually pin anything on him, despite suspecting him of the majority of Destruction of Imperial Property they had encountered in recent years. The Warden put on the case was one Arlena Hux, who was disgraced after it was found they were in fact romantically involved. Hux disappeared with the help of Jago and his contacts, and was a wanted criminal. She kept in contact with her close friend, and Arbite Artus "Grimm" Instan, who believed that she was disgraced due to her unwillingess to turn a blind eye to some of the other crimes, such as the illegal sale of Imperial Armaments which was rife on Jural. Grimm was responsible for introducing both to Inquisitor Tyr wen Wokin during his investigation of the Bennett Murder, and have been in his employ since, Hux believing since is once again benefiting the Imperium, Jago simply wishing to keep her happy, and making a tidy profit.

I may have to double post to get "Grimm" up, but i need to finish his background.

I'm currently undecided about which of the 4 models i've got lined up to do next, here's a brief over view of them.

Icarus Mako - The Grey Man - An Imperial Guard Infiltration expert who fled the guard and began selling the most valuable thing he could think of, information. Was one of the key agents of the "Trade Wars" across the Sycero sub-sector.

Andre Reed - The Giant - A machine gunner and medic who acted as the exfil liason with Mako. Towards the end of the "Trade Wars", they began to depend on each other more and more as the Guilds grew more and more paranoid.

Gideon de Larosa - The Swordsman - A Captain with the Imperial Guard, a fencing master who was recruited by Wokin after his regiment was devastated, and subsequently disbanded. He was pushing himself as a trainer to noble families of the Sycero sub-sector, most of whom took no notice of the "plebs" killing themselves in the wars in the Families names, and competing in tournees to raise his profile, when he was noticed by the Inquisitor.

Edmund Batiste - A drunk, a wastrel, and most importantly a survivor. Whilst de Larosa had the natural skill of a born commander, Batiste had the natural charm of a born scoundrel. De Larosa's military friend, and fiercely loyal to the Captain, he was able to survive in the Imperial Guard by holding, quite firmly, on de Larosa's coat tails, and was still a second lieutenant when his friend was a Captain. He was acting as the Captain's "manager", when he and Gideon convinced the Inquisitor to bring him along. His sixth sense for danger has proved him to be useful, only marginally outweighing his cowardice, laziness, and general mischievous cunning.

Instan will be up soon, when i've got his background sorted, right now it's a cluster of Evil Grandfather, Romeo and Juliet (his rogue trader father and Planetary Govenor's daughter), and a classic noir character. There's also Arlena Hux to do, but i need to buy her yet.

Zakkeg

They look alright. A couple of points:

Tyr wen Wokin

Quote from: JoelMcKickass on July 05, 2011, 11:31:11 PMHis strength would often increase sharply, without any apparent control[...]

[...]however the disciplined nature of the Miyan martial arts meant that he was able to control it to some effect, though not fully.

A bit contradictory, wouldn't you say? Just delete the second part; it's a little trite, and the story works perfectly well without it. The "Fortunately, due to Miyan training..." bit about covers it anyway.

Next up, Martial Arts. It tends to annoy me when people use the term to refer specifically to Asian-style unarmed combat, when in fact any structured fighting style qualifies. Boxing, fencing, fish slapping... (Alright, maybe not that last one. Except perhaps with swordfish.) I suppose it's mainly a matter of personal preference, but wouldn't "Unarmed Master" get the point across just as well?

Not sure about the parrying restrictions you've put on it. When you think about it, one generally doesn't want to go grabbing the business end of a sword whether it's got a power field or not. So he'd probably "parry" by going for the limb holding the weapon rather than the weapon itself, which means that said weapon's precise nature doesn't matter so much.

Ridian Jago

His Willpower and Leadership seem perhaps a bit high, given what we know about him. Also, the revolver reloads - I assume you don't mean they each have one extra bullet, but that's what the text would imply. And given that the revolvers are presumably identical it doesn't make much sense to separate their reloads. Perhaps you could write it more like "2 revolvers (12 additional rounds in speedloaders)." (Because who the hell uses a revolver without speedloaders? Certainly not a professional gun-thug.)

I'm a bit confused by the little sociological details of Jural Primus. Why would multiple gangs frequent the same brothel? Wouldn't it be a part of the territory of one or the other? Or is there perhaps some long-standing traditional that bawdy-houses are neutral ground? It's the little things like that which help create a fleshed-out and interesting setting, rather than just having "Generic Hive World X."

On a similar note, the Wardens seem rather progressive by Imperial standards. ("Evidence? Pah! Look at that nose - it's the nose of a heretic! You're coming with me to the holding cells, boyo. You can protest your innocence in court. I believe there's a free slot on the docket coming up in, oh, thirty years or so. Oh, you're resisting arrest? Good. I just recharged my shock maul...") (Sorry; got a bit carried away there. ;D)

Maybe that's deliberate, though. If so, you might want to make a note. If not, it's an easy fix; just have him "evading arrest" rather than getting off on lack of evidence. (He somehow seems like the post-coital runner type anyway. ;))

Blimey, that's a lot of parentheses and quotation marks. Hope it's not too painful to read. Anyway, apart from what's mentioned above I quite like Jago, and wen Wokin... well, I'm a bit leery of anything even vaguely katana-shaped when it comes to 40k, but all things considered he's not too bad. ;)

Must say, I'm quite looking forward to Andre the Giant. ;D

There I go with the bloody smileys again...
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper; only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Zakkeg

Sorry for the double post, but I've just realized I missed something very important, and I didn't want it to get lost in an edit.

To wit: the digital inferno pistol in the bionic eye. You don't just get one of those put in, even if you're an Inquisitor. Inferno pistols are rare as hen's teeth to begin with, digital versions rarer still - and the kind that's incorporated into a bionic eye? You'd have better luck finding an Emperor-class battleship for sale. On short notice. Cheap.

Seriously; you've picked what is hands down one of the most unique pieces of archeotech in the Imperium. He probably shouldn't have it at all, and if he does there'd better be a damn good story behind it.
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper; only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Inquisitor Cade

The backgrounds are solid, if maybe a bit typical. The particularly skilful traditional swordsman who develops psychic powers is not a new story. But that said the biomancy powers are a nice twist, the detection one particularly.

Tyr's stats seem appropriate across the board, but I think that prestigious swordsman that he may have been in his youth, and as much as he would try to keep up on it, a Ws touching on 80 and two close combat special abilities is excessive. I consider a special ability to be roughly equivalent to five points of Ws or Bs if appropriate when considering the capability of a character. I think a converted weapon skill (if you will) of about 80 is massively high, but within reach given the background, though I would consider that on the high side for a full time Inquisitor and a psyker to boot.
The unarmed skill follows I think but what is the parry penalty for parrying unarmed? I'd suggest -30%ish.

Why a revolver?

On the inferno pistol, digi weapons are very rare, but less so than full inferno pistol, so I understand it. I raised the same question a long time back, as to why an inferno pistol was legendary but a digi one was exotic. I guess miniaturising melta tech into a one shot weapon is done more than making inferno pistols. This makes a bit more sense because most good digi weapons are made by the Jokaero, not by the Imperium.

The gun hound has too high a Bs in the same way, 70 and two special abilities. Given his background his network of contacts, I'd expect a decent Sg, high 50's to 60, and an okay Ld. His Nv is very high, but I guess that's one of the things that Tyr saw in him.

Why are those still his guns? Once he started working for an Inquisitor he could get something better, military grade laspistols, and special ammunition for the shotgun and a revolver. Why's he still using the revolvers and stubbers that would have been all he could afford as a gangster?
*Insert token witticism*

Inquisitor Octavian Lars

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on July 07, 2011, 01:33:44 PM
Why a revolver?
Why are those still his guns?
Once he started working for an Inquisitor he could get something better, Why's he still using the revolvers and stubbers that would have been all he could afford as a gangster?
Just a suggestion, but my inquisitor uses a revolver because he had it scince he was a teenager and it meant something to him. Though he does also have 2 digi weapons and a power sword.
Velterax III
All my wargaming under one address
http://velterax3chronicles.blogspot.com/

http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1566.0
Insertion Zone. Also on the Velterax III Chronicles.

Always looking for comments

biggreengribbly

Quote from: Inquisitor Octavian Lars on July 07, 2011, 07:40:25 PM
Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on July 07, 2011, 01:33:44 PM
Why a revolver?
Why are those still his guns?
Once he started working for an Inquisitor he could get something better, Why's he still using the revolvers and stubbers that would have been all he could afford as a gangster?
Just a suggestion, but my inquisitor uses a revolver because he had it scince he was a teenager and it meant something to him.

"This, milord, is my family's axe. We have owned it for almost nine hundred years, see. Of course, sometimes it needed a new blade. And sometimes it has required a new handle, new designs on the metalwork, a little refreshing of the ornamentation . . . but is this not the nine hundred-year-old axe of my family? And because it has changed gently over time, it is still a pretty good axe, y'know. Pretty good."  ;D

Dwi

Maybe you could lower a few thing a point or two but other than that I don't see any other problems other than the ones that have been pointed out allready.

On a side note: If you realy want to have wen Woken shooting firey death out of his eye them make that puppy a flamer digi, as, despite the fact that I think you idea is cool, it's a little to rare even for your Inquistor.

Hell Yarrick only has a laser eye and he has I don't no how much fame and no doubt money enough and he even had temperay controle of an ENTIRE planet!!!!!! And even then he could not get the "Inferno Eye of Death!!!" put in!
May The Emperor protect us from the dakness of the void. That or we can run around in little cricles and wave our arms and shout

biggreengribbly

Quote from: Dwi on July 09, 2011, 04:32:00 PM
On a side note: If you realy want to have wen Woken shooting firey death out of his eye them make that puppy a flamer digi, as, despite the fact that I think you idea is cool, it's a little to rare even for your Inquistor.

Hell Yarrick only has a laser eye and he has I don't no how much fame and no doubt money enough and he even had temperay controle of an ENTIRE planet!!!!!! And even then he could not get the "Inferno Eye of Death!!!" put in!

Am I the only one somewhat terrified at the idea of having either flavour of short-ranged Heat-Death being emitted FROM MY FACE? I mean surely just the residual heat left in the muzzle of the gun after firing would do some unpleasant tissue damage to like... your cheek, nose etc.

MarcoSkoll

Personally, I've always just seen the rules for digi-weapons as a "sort of". It's not actually a miniaturised inferno pistol, but it's a high power short range attack that the inferno pistol rules are "close enough" to.

After all, there's clearly not room for two doses of Promethium in a digi "flamer" - that's got to be working by some method other than spraying burning petrol around, so why is it assumed the Inferno pistol isn't?
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

DapperAnarchist

I now need to make a model with a digiflamer... and a tank of promethium sticking out of their face.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

JoelMcKickass

Why do i also get into the big posts just before i have to go away? I've been in Germany, in lovely Hameln military base, for the past two weeks, and so have missed quite alot, though did get a few ideas after visiting Arnham.

As for the characters, i intend to use Wokin as more of a hand to hand fighter than a swordsman, though that is personal preference (there will be some situations where a sword would be impractical, such as pretending to be a trader, and likewise, there would be some situations where a sword would be necessary, such as when fighting a flaming-sword-of-doom-that-makes-anyone-who-touches-it-fall-in-love-with-them, wielding Inquisitor). The inferno pistol is as Cade and Marco described it, though I'd be happy to drop it down to a custom made, single shot las round. I like the idea that he has one last ace up his sleeve for when things really hit the fan.

Would it be worth making it a risky action? And if he fails he x amount of damage to his head?
Also, would two WS's, one for hand to hand, one for melee, be worth making? I originally meant to have some form of damage done to his face, and just forgot about it.

As for Jago, drop his BS by 5, and raise his SG by 5, how does that seem?

Now i need to get Instan written up, i've got his background literally written out in bullet point form, i just have to get a coherent plot written out now. I've also seen another model i want to use with these, if i can find it that is.

JoelMcKickass

Okay then, my Arbite model, Artus "Grimm" Instan. This guy really is just a draft, but i'll get down what i've got. I've also made a start on Wallace Mako (namechange!), but that'll come later. My sister is back up for the weekend too, so i'll be able to get some pictures up.

Artus "Grimm" Instan, Ex-Arbite Judge

Born to a the daughter of a planetary govenor Annabella Instan, and a Theo the son of Trader, Artorius Border, Artus' life was, to begin with, one of luxury. Hidden from the politicking of his parents union, he had little to no knowledge that his family were pursued by his grandfather's agents. Movar Instan believed that, whilst discussing a trade contract with Border, his daughter had been kidnapped and was being held against her will, as a way to force the tenuous trade agreement to hold. In actual fact the pair were deeply in love.

Movar, denying the evidence of constant transmissions and astrotelepathic messages, reasoning that unless they were made in person, they were worthless. The couple were hidden away by Theo's father, whilst he attempted to defuse the situation. Unknown to Artorius, Theo accepted to meet with agents of Movar's, and prove his innocence, wishing simply to be left in peace, rather than having to continue his fleeing life. The "agents", were none other than the Caw Family, a group of cannibalistic, inbred bounty hunters who made a point of never bringing a bounty in alive, who were hired and dispatched in a fit of rage by Movar. Annabella, evidently not part of the bounty, was treated well, considering the fate her husband had suffered. They brought Annabella and Artus, then a young boy of 5, in, were she testified to her father that her union was made with her consent, and that her husband had been murdered by the Caws, and that the child who never left her side was Movar's Grandson. Shortly thereafter, she committed suicide. Movar gave Artorius Papa Caw's head as a blood bounty, bemoaning his ignorance. Artorius, famously fertile, simply shrugged and pushed for better terms on the trade contract.

When Artus was old enough, he wa placed into the Scholar, Movar believing that his last remaining heir would be able to follow in his footsteps as planetary govenor. Unfortunately, Theo Border had placed a strict sense of justice into his young son, and Artus pushed himself into becoming an Arbite. He was quickly regarded as a humourless child, earning him the nickname Grimm. As he training went on, he was ear marked as being one of the best candidates, who was also mysteriously visiting the medicae whenever an Inquisitor graced the Scholar with their presence.

Artus' finest moment was often remarked to be upon his graduation where, the final test, a 10 mile hike to the summit of the Argos mountain, was completed, the last kilometre believed to be with a shattered ankle (he was found to have shattered it at the end, though whether he had simply injured it and made it worse by completing the hike is unknown), rather than fail the course.

His initial posting was in the Anid system, where he was frequently brought into arguments with his superiors over nuances of procedure. Despite this, he rose quickly to the rank of Judge, though his argumentative nature meant he was kept at arms length from the main body of Arbites, in case his views were contagious. He felt that the Arbites were not doing enough to ensure the implementation of certain laws he viewed as more important. This led to his eventual voluntary retirement, were he went on to work privately for those who were willing to pay.

When Inquisitor Bennnett was murdered on his planet, he was contacted by Investigator Tyr wen Wokin, who utilised his contacts, and his local knowledge, to successfully find the perpetrators, and find the root of the arms trading problem.

Instan had knowledge of his parent's demise, and had forgiven his grandfather, though he made a point of tracking down any of the Caw family, and bringing them to justice. Brock Caw, the new patriarch, has tried to kill Artus on several occasions,  but after his botched attempt on Movar, the majority of the Caw family (some 200 members left alive), are mostly too worried about being killed themselves after the price that Movar put on any with the Caw name.

For the time being, Artus is with Wokin, and using his investigative skills to assist in Wokin's work, he has used Wokin's own Inquistorial status to avoid the Caw's, though Brock is remarked to be stupid enough that even an Inquisitor is a fair target.

WS  BS   S   T    I    NV  WP  SG  LD
61   66  60 64  59  72  63    61  68

Skills: True Grit, Leader

Equipment: Carapace Armour on all locations. Pump action shotgun with 18 shells. Autopistol with reload, Shock Maul.

Okay, a bit of an off the cuff job, but he's done. Any problems with him? I intend to have the Caw Family as a group of either NPC's, or as an actual Warband, the Angel Gang, to Instan's Dredd.

Darksinger

Instan looks good. I had a bit of trouble following the names in the background, but he sounds perfectly reasonable for an Arbite Judge.

I'm actually more interested (not by much mind you) In seeing what the Caw family are like. Inbred Bounty-hunting cannibals? Sounds like the sort of family my Chaos Corrupt Explorators would hire to take down Lycanson (a paticular thorn or should that be Thorne? -Inside joke) in their side). That is of course, If Thorne-Gazzul didn't grind him to a paste on their next enounter.

But i digress.

Instan looks good, and he should be interesting to use. Yours is one of the many warbands i'd love to pit agains one of mine.

JoelMcKickass

Funnily enough, i was going to make one of the themes of the Caw gang that there's thousands of them. Some are normal Imperial citizens, some of them are completely mutated, some have only small mutations, though the majority of the immediate Caw family are of the Bounty Hunter and cannibalistic variety. If you reckon your warband could use them, go for it, the more the merrier. Hey, maybe there could eve be a Caw family reunion at one of the Conclaves...

Just a heads up though, i'm currently in Central America until the end of August, though i've made a few changes to the Warband. Rather than going with the warband i've put in the first post, two of them are going to be transferred to my Xenos Inquisitor, Edmund Batiste and Icarus Mako (now Philomako), because they fit better with the character he has, rather than Wokin. I'm currently working on Andre, i'm thinking an ex-Imperial Guardsman who was discharged due to loosing both arms, and the average bionics not really taking, making him almost useless because the Imperial Guard aren't going to waste money on someone when they can replace him. Basically, he's someone who owes Wokin for the new lease on his life (better doing the Emperor's work than bouncing on the Emperors doors).

Now i just need to drop the machete off of Instan.